Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-16-2005, 07:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 209, 2004
Lost two altenator bolts (sheared right off)

Folks,

Make sure you keep a look at your alternator bolts. This last weekend I had TWO shear right off. When I was putting in the plug I took a look at my serpitine belt connected to altenator since I was hearing squeaking the day before. The altenator was sitting on the bracket with just the tension bolt. The bracket was completely off the block. First word was ****.

Next word is how far was the Home Depot. Being 4 hours from home at Lake Oraville and 20 minutes from town there wasn't much of a choice. With $90 later (hammer, punch, corded drill to hook up to my invertor, drill bit, easyout, and a handfull of 3/8 bolts) we were round trip time and repair back to launch again in a hour.

Luckly the belt wasn't trashed. When I dropped off the boat for service this Monday, I asked to pick up a belt for a spare. Come to find this is a new boat 04 with 50 hours (got it in Sep 04) that the repair shop didn't even have them in stock yet. Doubt I'd been able to find a belt in Chico or Oraville.

Rod
Old 08-16-2005, 07:29 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlivingood
Folks,

Make sure you keep a look at your alternator bolts. This last weekend I had TWO shear right off. When I was putting in the plug I took a look at my serpitine belt connected to altenator since I was hearing squeaking the day before. The altenator was sitting on the bracket with just the tension bolt. The bracket was completely off the block. First word was ****.

Next word is how far was the Home Depot. Being 4 hours from home at Lake Oraville and 20 minutes from town there wasn't much of a choice. With $90 later (hammer, punch, corded drill to hook up to my invertor, drill bit, easyout, and a handfull of 3/8 bolts) we were round trip time and repair back to launch again in a hour.

Luckly the belt wasn't trashed. When I dropped off the boat for service this Monday, I asked to pick up a belt for a spare. Come to find this is a new boat 04 with 50 hours (got it in Sep 04) that the repair shop didn't even have them in stock yet. Doubt I'd been able to find a belt in Chico or Oraville.

Rod

Apparently not an uncommon problem. I had the same two bolts shear off on my 2004 230VRS/MCX. Heard the squealing right before I was taking it in for first-service at 20 hours.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 ProStar 209
Us too, on our 04 209 last month.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
2003 the exact same problem. I have heard of many on this site and others. Mine '03 MCX with about 100 hrs on it.
There are many threads on this recently. MC says it is Indmar not them.
Hmmmmm......
Old 08-17-2005, 09:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Model 209, MCX
bolt size

What size bolts are these?
Boat is at the lake, and I will not be there untill Sat.
Seems like I may need a few of these for the spare parts box.
I have a 2003 P/S 209 w/MCX.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2
A couple of weeks back I had the same problem on my 03 X-2 with 150 hrs. The bolts broke and the belt came off while I was running it. Good thing for the ear busting alarm or I would have been SOL.

One of the bolt stubs was loose enough where I could turn it out with my fingures. The other need a little help from a hammer and chisle to get it started. If they would have broken off without a little stub, I would have been in trouble. V drives don't have that much room on the backside of the engine.

When I replaced the bolts I went from a grade 5 bolt to an 8. Did anyone else do this? or can think of a reason not to?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
i'll check my nuts this weekend

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above
Old 08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
happened to me too, only lost one, but the dealer replaced both anyway.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Best to replace before they break, its far easier to remove the bolt beforehand than to mess around drilling out and backing out the stub.

Only disadvantage I could find of going too high in grade is that if something drastic were to occur the bolts are cheaper than the alternator or engine block. But definately a low grade issue. And I do believe indmar delivers longblocks to MC, so it is their problem.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
This alternator bolt-breaking in the late-model Indmar's appears to be a widespread enough problem that I would pre-emptively replace my alternator bolts with grade 8's and torque them myself. To be prepared to replace them in the field would require not just the bolts and wrench, but also a belt, a drill and some Easy-Outs.

Theoretically, a grade 8 bolt should have a higher tensile strength than a grade 5, but if even grade 8's aren't torqued properly, it can lead to excessive cycling and therefore premature failure. One other factor that might be at play here is the widespread problem of counterfeit fasteners. Just because your bolts are labeled grade 8 doesn't mean that they were actually manufactured to those specs. Some companies, in an effort to save a few bucks, will accept what appears to be a fantastic deal on the huge quantities of bolts that they need to build their engines, only to find out later that, for example, their alternators are falling off of their engines due to fastener failure.