Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze View Post
So I finally took the plunge and bought my first Mastercraft (93 PS 205). Got it right at the end of the season, so it went straight to the marina for winterizing.

Been racking my brain about storing my boat during the May-Sept season. A lift could be an option, but the water can be a little shallow at times. I would rather not have to shell out $4000-5000 for a lift, but I assume that is the preferred way to store it.

My other thought is get a nice cover (like Evolution) and just store it in the water all summer. Either use mooring whips or I can tie it off at an angle from the front of the dock to shore.

My only concern with storing it in the water is this is at our cabin 4 hrs away. We generally make trips back and forth throughout the summer (usually about 2 weeks in between). With an Evolution cover the inside should stay pretty dry. I assume the bilge pump can just be left to AUTO. My fear would be what if the bilge pump failed and water some how got in.

Any insight from people that have their boats at their cabin and they are not there all summer? Any worries keeping it in the water all summer?

Thanks!
I have experience with "wet docking" a ski boat.

I stored my prostar in the water during the summers for 4 years in New Hampshire while living 3 hours away in CT. I stored it in a slip where there was other slip owners (24 other slips) mostly around on the weekends only. I slept well at night because the boat is nowhere near a beauty queen (you could probably draw some parallels since yours is a '93 205) and I had it insured for about $6,000 more than I bought it for. Plus, if one of the anchor lines came off or the boat was half sunk in the water, there were other slip owners that would surely lend a helping hand.

When we were not in New Hampshire at the lake house we had the boat very securely fastened in the slip. I used 4 standard anchor lines fastened from the front and 2 spring lines, so 6 in total. When I was around on the weekend, the house was only like 100 yards away from the boat slips so I would just use the front and rear anchor lines and not the spring lines.

In the beginning when I bought the boat I had it completely re-wired by a guy who did work on big yachts in CT and NY. Electrically everything was perfect. I ran two batteries. I had the float switch replaced and the bilge pump did it's job perfectly when I was away. No problems there.

The boat took a beating in that slip. Being a prostar, just like your 205, it sits low in the water. Plus, we were on the windy side of the lake. When this storm came through with 75-100mph winds a couple of member lost their boats, however I was lucky and came out of it with minimal damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeSAYfUloH8

So there were times when we weren't at the lake an anchor line got a little loose and the boat would bump up against the dock fenders. Or a storm would come thru that would cause a lot of stress on the cleats, thus some spider cracking on the gel coat. Whatever, its an 2002 prostar tug.

In general, I never had any serious problems storing the boat in the water. You mentioned storing it on mooring whips versus spending thousands on a lift,,,TONS of people on our lake store their $100k inboards on mooring whips or even mooring balls and have no problems at all. If you have your own dock and are not in a slip other other slips around you, mooring whips are a great way to wet dock a boat. Someone said to store the boat on the trailer? Terrible advice. Who in god's name wants to drive 4 hours on a Friday evening to their lake house to get there and then have to launch their boat, and then on Sunday when you are trying to pack up and get out of dodge, have to pull in the boat to store for the weekend? BRUTAL. DON'T COUNT ON THIS. Someone else mentioned getting a used 3k pound boat lift. Sure, you can find a manual one on craigslist for a few grand but THEY SUCK. And then what happens if/when you decide to upgrade from the 205 to a bigger wake boat? No you gotta sell the crappy 3k pound manual lift on craiglist for half as much as you bought it for and buy another use/new lift that can handle more wait. Someone else in this thread mentioned buildup on the hull,,,yea that happens, and all you need to do is keep a brush handy and scrub the bottom once every 3-4 weeks. Take like 5 minutes and it's a good workout. At the end of the year when you are winterizing, you use the "on/off" product to get the hull shiny new again. No problem there.

So, while yes it is preferable to keep any lake inboard boat to keep it on a lift, if you don't want to spend 5-10 grand on a proper hydraulic setup (keep mind a new 6600k shorestation will cost you north of $12k) you don't have to. Inboard boats can be kept in the water as long as you have a proper setup and you are diligent with your boat maintenance. It also helps to have some people that can pop their head in every once and a while when you are not around for long periods of time, which is not a lot to ask for, and I willingly do this for my neighbors at the lake,,,any excuse to cruise by on my boat during cocktail hour is a good one.

Overall you've been given some crappy advice by most of the people in this thread.

tl;dr - There is no problem wet docking a ski boat. buy great insurance. mooring whips are a great idea. make sure your float switch for the bilge pump is operational, you have good batteries in the boat, and it is electrically sound.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Someone said to store the boat on the trailer? Terrible advice. Who in god's name wants to drive 4 hours on a Friday evening to their lake house to get there and then have to launch their boat, and then on Sunday when you are trying to pack up and get out of dodge, have to pull in the boat to store for the weekend? BRUTAL. DON'T COUNT ON THIS.

Overall you've been given some crappy advice by most of the people in this thread.
So let me get this straight. Keeping it on the trailer is bad advice because of the time involved in launching and loading, yet storing in the water will require more time in launching/loading cleaning the hull than launching and loading…? He would get to the lakehouse after dark on that friday anyways.

Gelcoat/fiberglass damage on the older boats can dictate an insurance company to total the boat – repairs are expensive.

If the OP plans to keep his boat and be proud of its looks and performance instead of it being “an old tug,” storing in the lake is absolutely not an option.

Sorry dude, with all due respect, we’ll never agree on this one; your post is the worst advice in this thread.

Last edited by slalomjunkie; 01-18-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
S

Sorry dude, with all due respect, we’ll never agree on this one; your post is the worst advice in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post

Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight.....
Old 01-18-2019, 02:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
I cringed reading your experiences with storing in the water, if you are ok with trading a boat sitting in the water/beating against the dock/ gel coat damage, for the ease of saving 20 min when you get to the cabin and another 20 min to load back on the trailer on Sunday then me and you just have completely different personalities. Which is fine, to each their own, but to say that we have all given him terrible advise is total BS.

Spark notes version of your post is that you didn't give a crap about your boat, anyone with a early prostar owns something that's not worth taking care of or being proud of owning, and anyone that spends more than 30 min a weekend caring for their boat is OCD. Like come on, you're the only one so far with a different opinion than the rest of us, so don't come out swinging with the "Everyone here has given you terrible advise".
Old 01-18-2019, 02:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedrum03 View Post
Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight.....
Nope. I like Kevin, just a difference of opinion

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 02:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: n/a
Honestly I don't mind hearing differing opinions. What works for some, might not work for others. Yes the boat is a 1993 PS 205, but it's also my first boat purchase and I definitely want to treat it good. It has less than 600 hrs on it, so I intend to use this for quite awhile. Kids are only 6 and 10, so I want it to last.

Like I said, I plan to get an Evolution cover to start. They may not cover all of the boat, but I like the fact that it will repel water when the boat is sitting in the driveway when we are not there. Plus I can always use while towing as well. Our boat launch is only two miles away from our cabin so pulling it in and out isn't a big deal.

I hear ya about a nice lift, but I also don't want to spend $8000-10000. I'm okay with a used one as long as it works. And if I ever do upgrade (which would be down the road), I'll just sell the lift. We had an old lift up at the cabin that I bought for $400 that held my father-in-law's old 79 Sierra boat. I sold it for $350 about 8 years later.

Again, thanks for all the info and opinions. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I actually get to use the boat. Pictures to come in early summer
Old 01-18-2019, 02:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Ski Centurion
My camp is 4 hours away so I try to get up Friday before dark launch the boat and get a ski run in, then cover and anchor it. I leave it in the water while I am at the camp for the week end or while I am on vacation for the week. Come Sunday afternoon the boat gets put back on the trailer wiped down, spray waxed and vacuumed . Then covered and stored on the trailer beside the camp till the next time I am in town. I like doing it this way because there is no worries and you get a chance to go over the boat. Even after a few days sitting in the water I have a water scum line on the boat that drives me crazy.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
freeze, are there many lakes in your area?

Just wondering how your used boat lift market is. They are everywhere around me, but I'm also in Michigan.

In my area you can easily find a nice, used lift in your weight capacity range for around $1,000 or $1,500.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
freeze, are there many lakes in your area?

Just wondering how your used boat lift market is. They are everywhere around me, but I'm also in Michigan.

In my area you can easily find a nice, used lift in your weight capacity range for around $1,000 or $1,500.
Not a ton immediately around us, but popular lake destinations within 30-40 mins. So I should have no trouble finding one...
Old 01-18-2019, 04:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeck View Post
I cringed reading your experiences with storing in the water, if you are ok with trading a boat sitting in the water/beating against the dock/ gel coat damage, for the ease of saving 20 min when you get to the cabin and another 20 min to load back on the trailer on Sunday then me and you just have completely different personalities. Which is fine, to each their own, but to say that we have all given him terrible advise is total BS.

Spark notes version of your post is that you didn't give a crap about your boat, anyone with a early prostar owns something that's not worth taking care of or being proud of owning, and anyone that spends more than 30 min a weekend caring for their boat is OCD. Like come on, you're the only one so far with a different opinion than the rest of us, so don't come out swinging with the "Everyone here has given you terrible advise".
By all means am I not OK with my boat beating against a dock. What I neglected to say in my previous post was that if I knew what I know now in my situation with the type of slip I had, I would have gotten a lift. No question about it. However, if I had my own dock and the ability to put in mooring whips, which work VERY well for pennies compared to a boat lift, then I would have done that without question. Mooring whips are not an option with the boat slip that I own in NH.

Name:  slip.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  73.3 KB

Yes I disagree with 95% of the people on this forum who think that their $10,000 lake tug needs to be pampered like the royal queen herself. I do care about my boat, I just don't lose sleep over it.

You guys all came out saying that a lift was the best option for the OP even given the circumstance that he/she really didn't want to spend the money, saying there was really no other, no other "proper way", besides buying a lift. Which is wrong. And I think it may be due to the fact that 95% of the people on this forum are so anal about their lake beauty queen floating stereo tugs.

Quote:
So let me get this straight. Keeping it on the trailer is bad advice because of the time involved in launching and loading, yet storing in the water will require more time in launching/loading cleaning the hull than launching and loading…? He would get to the lakehouse after dark on that friday anyways.
Without question you save several hours over the course of a summer without having to launch/retrieve. Even factoring in cleaning the hull, which remember, most people wipe down their hulls after they use the boat when it's on the lift anyways.

Time for a weekend warrior like the OP is so precious. The average amount of hours that a weekend warrior puts on their boat might be something like 30 hours. If you take away 3 hours from launching and retrieving over the course of a weekend, that's 10% of that small amount of time you could have been spending on the boat.

Remember SJ, a weekend warriors situation is very different than someone that walks out their back door to their dock. Very Very Very different.

Quote:
Gelcoat/fiberglass damage on the older boats can dictate an insurance company to total the boat – repairs are expensive.
OK? So I guess don't drive a old POS boat? You can keep a brand new boat on a mooring whips or a mooring ball, in the summer, for 4-5 months and it will still be a beautiful boat if you do the proper maintenance to your boat. WHICH MIGHT I ADD, does include washing, scrubbing, waxing before putting her down to rest for the winter.

Quote:
If the OP plans to keep his boat and be proud of its looks and performance instead of it being “an old tug,” storing in the lake is absolutely not an option.
This is so far from the truth it's incredible. If you think you cannot keep a fiberglass boat wet docked for a summer in a freshwater lake, then you have not clue what you are talking about. It's a friggin boat, they belong in water. Boats can still look BEAUTIFUL after decades in the water, it's all about how you maintain your stuff. In addition to this, we are talking about Mastercrafts here. These are really well made boats, even the older ones.

Quote:
No, your advice is the worst advice in this thread....Maybe the worst, ever.

Quote:
Nope. I like Kevin, just a difference of opinion
. Cheers, I like you too SJ!