Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC NXT22, 2018, 5000MPI, dual bats, fiberglass deck, advanced audio,
All, thank you very much - we had it out again yesterday. I filled the forward ballast and it went away. emptied the forward ballast and came right back. I taped over the forward vents and that didn't prevent it. On the starboard side of the gunwale (just in front of my nav lights) there is what appears to be a vent of some sort. MC doesn't call this out in the manual. It has slits, and appears to be some kind of felt paper underneath. Anyone know what this is - I was wondering if that was fluttering as well. I will make a modified air damn with some masking tape on GPS and see what happens. Thank you again everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it! I will continue to update until it's resolved. My OCD compels me as does my wife.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTsao View Post
All, thank you very much - we had it out again yesterday. I filled the forward ballast and it went away. emptied the forward ballast and came right back. I taped over the forward vents and that didn't prevent it. On the starboard side of the gunwale (just in front of my nav lights) there is what appears to be a vent of some sort. MC doesn't call this out in the manual. It has slits, and appears to be some kind of felt paper underneath. Anyone know what this is - I was wondering if that was fluttering as well. I will make a modified air damn with some masking tape on GPS and see what happens. Thank you again everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it! I will continue to update until it's resolved. My OCD compels me as does my wife.
I suppose filling the KGB changes the bow rise and wind flow over whatever part is whistling.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, NXT22, 2018, 5500 Ilmor, GenII w/710 bags
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTsao View Post
I do have a small issue with this vent you are talking of. I think its like a wax paper or something, probably to allow air flow out of the boat and keep water from entering. This vent or the wax paper makes a rattling noise when we are anchored up with the stereo on. You can only hear it when sitting in the bow.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Is that a cutout and cover for the horn? The felt is to keep bugs out.

I wonder if it's wind getting into the horn itself? If it is a reed type system then the wind passing over it would make it vibrate and create a pitched sound.

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/ho...-s-03-14-11088

If in fact this is the case, then loosening the horn bolt and rotating it slightly would change the angle of the horn to the wind.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft NXT22 2018
i had the same sound(2018 NXT22) and it drove me insane.... for weeks sounded like an alarm going off.

after a few weeks of searching i finally found it. It was a threaded cap on a ballast line. there is an arched ballast line for the front tank that is located by all the electronics in front of the driver inside the dash. The best way to get to it is remove the front driver side bow seat and stick your head an arm in their. its on top of the arch. tighten it

be careful if you remove it! its two pieces and i lost part into the unknown below.....
Old 03-21-2019, 11:15 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC NXT22, 2018, 5000MPI, dual bats, fiberglass deck, advanced audio,
CantRepeat - that hyperlink is what I was trying to explain. The horn cover. Thanks, I may take it off and see what it looks like underneath - Thanks!

Sweir1171 - Thanks for your input as well. I'm going to investigate that this weekend as well as the horn cover.

Thanks to the others who've provided feedback/suggestions. It is much appreciated!