Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 12-21-2018, 11:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X20
Center Ballast Pump Trips off Unexpectedly

Just as the season was ending for us a few weeks ago, I took the 2015 X20 out and when filling the 3 ballast tanks, the center pump tripped off at 7%. I restarted it and it again tripped/shut off well before it filled. I finale got it filled. Then when I was emptying it, the pump again kept tripping off.

I am being told my pump might have a bad impeller - and that I should have changed those out each year. Doubting this will be a warranty item.

(1) Does anyone have any insights on a pump that trips off unexpectedly?
(2) Does the replacement of impellers make sense? and
(3) is that something that I should have been doing each year?

Thanks for any help and insights anyone can share!
Old 12-22-2018, 07:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
I would start with changing the impellers - It could also be a bad pump. IMO, every year would be overkill, but it is usage dependent - I change mine out after 2 seasons, but again, we don't do more than 50 hours a season.

Also, what are your timers set to for the KGB? Additionally, I have my float sensors disconnected, these are notorious for getting confused/failing - This way my system runs on time alone.

Lastly - long debated here, However - I fill engine running, standing still @ 1200 RPM, empty in gear @ 1200 + to empty - I get 2 seasons plus out of the impellers, & have consistent fill/empty times
Old 12-22-2018, 10:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I put between 40-50 hours on my boat. I can get 3 seasons easily out of my impellers. I pull them out every year when I winterize. I just inspect them then and look for any major flat spots on the tips. If the impeller tips aren't worn no need to change them.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X20
Thanks guys for the advice - it's a huge help. And based on the hours on my boat, I am overdue on changing the impellers! Merry Christmas!