Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-29-2018, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X9 w/MCX
ballast bag fill help

looking for some help or even just some insight on this issue. i recently bought an 03 x9 with rear and center ballast bags. i previously owned an 05 x7 with a factory rear bag that worked fine. heres the situation/question about the x9:
im not sure if the center bag is factory or how to fix/repair/use it.
there is a switch for each bag down by the driver's knee (one for rear and one for center - same location as my old x7). they look to be factory switches. the rear bag works fine. the bag fills when the switch is flipped to "fill" and empties when switched to "empty". there are four holes (2 on each side) in the stern. when the bag empties, water simultaneously comes out of one hole on each side of the boat, toward the stern, inline with the rear seat (on my x7 it only emptied out of one side). my question is related to the center bag. when switched to "fill" the light on the rocker switch comes on but there is no sound and the bag does not seem to fill. the result is the same when switched to "empty". here is the part im confused about it - from what i can tell it looks like someone plumbed the center bag into the lines for the heater. im not familiar with how these heaters work but understand it to be controlled by hot water sent from the motor that somehow circulates, allowing hot air to be blown around. the heater in the boat still turns on but it's just ambient air temperature. i guess this motor heated water is also used for onboard showers (which my boat does not have). there is a valve on the front left side of the motor with a hose connected to it. it looks like that hose leads to the center bag. when that valve is opened, the lines near the center bag become hot, but the bag doesnt fill, even if the switch is flipped. turning on the rear bag also seems to have no effect on the center bag.
in short, im not sure what im looking at. is this center bag a factory option on an 03 x9 or is it some Frankenstein that the prior owner concocted? if it is factory, what am i doing wrong or what do i need to check (maybe just a blown pump)? maybe its not related at all to the heater? and if its not factory, does anyone have any ideas or is this a common modification that i can trouble shoot?
thanks!!!
Old 09-29-2018, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X9 w/MCX
After doing a little more reading, etc. it seems I may just have a broken impeller on the center bag.