Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 02:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Maristar 225 VRS
1995 Maristar Fuel Supply Issue? - GM 350 EFI

Hi all:

I was hoping for some technical advice. I have a '95 Maristar with a fuel injected GM 350 that I purchased this winter with 112 hours (read: not used much). I have sense put 24 hours on it. Last weekend I was towing a wakeboarder with less than 1/4 tank of gas, and started to loose power at higher RPMs. I put a 1/2 tank in, but the problem grew steadily worse through the lower power bands until the engine finally died. It turns over but doesn't fire.

My thoughts are that I have either sediment in the tank / fuel filter, a bad fuel pump relay, bad fuel pump, bad fuel sender, or a combination of everything that I just mentioned. Can anyone confirm or deny my suspicions? Do you have any ides of any other possible causes?

I really don't want to screw around with trouble shooting for the remainder of the good weather, so I was thinking of just replacing everything and gaining peace of mind. Can anyone recommend a good parts supplier and/or part numbers? Finally, total noob questions, but where the heck is the fuel sender located? Any tips for getting sediment out of a tank?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 08-24-2016, 02:47 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
it could just be crud in your fuel pump.. bottom of pump has two nipples.. inlet probably dirty and clogged - very common on this pump.... be gentle when putting back together,, and you will need to make sure fuel line primed. Pump not strong enough pull fuel thru an empty line,
Old 08-24-2016, 04:07 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
it could just be crud in your fuel pump.. bottom of pump has two nipples.. inlet probably dirty and clogged - very common on this pump.... be gentle when putting back together,, and you will need to make sure fuel line primed. Pump not strong enough pull fuel thru an empty line,
Thanks Mike. I've been reading through some of your old posts, and I guess to kind of document this for future searches, it looks like the Rock Auto fuel pump is no longer available, and the now go-to pump for these motors is this one:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p61171

I pulled that information from this thread:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=75974

I think I'll just pull the trigger on this pump. My boat is 2 1/2 hours away, round trip, so I don't want to go down where without enough parts in hand. And, so seems like it would be a good idea to have at least one pump as a back-up.

Any thoughts on the fuel sender or relay? I thought that I read somewhere that a relay could be an issue as well.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:00 PM

yes standard relay part number - napa MPE AR153SB - you can cross reference on web if you don't have a napa near by... that pump uses the same harness connection but the pump I believe is shorter.. so make sure you have enough hose parts.. barbs clamps etc.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Maristar 200 VRS
You know - we bought a 95' Maristar 200 VRS earlier this summer as well (had been sitting for the last couple years), took her out a few times and she ran great. A couple weeks back, took her out, I would put the throttle down and she wouldn't go anywhere, would let off, then get back in it and would run just fine. Not too long later, she couldn't get any speed whatsoever, finally died on us and had to get towed back to marina. Went through and checked everything - fuel, fuel pump, fuel filter, oil pressure, sensors, etc... she wasn't throwing any codes either, so we changed out the fuel filter, replaced the impeller and replaced the coolant sensor. Runs like a champ now... We think the coolant sensor was bad and causing her to go in to 'limp mode' and then finally shut down. Part number is BWD WT3000 at O'Reilly's and is on the port side of the engine, down low.

Sounds like you are having similar issues - maybe? Good luck and let us know how things turn out....
Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
It sounds like the classic case of the wadding in the fuel pump inlet screen. Who knows where this comes from but what ends up looking like the stuff from the end of a Q-Tip on that fine mesh inlet screen will give those exact loss of RPM and finally no start as well. Good luck.
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 08-25-2016, 10:54 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX - Longhorns View Post
You know - we bought a 95' Maristar 200 VRS earlier this summer as well (had been sitting for the last couple years), took her out a few times and she ran great. A couple weeks back, took her out, I would put the throttle down and she wouldn't go anywhere, would let off, then get back in it and would run just fine. Not too long later, she couldn't get any speed whatsoever, finally died on us and had to get towed back to marina. Went through and checked everything - fuel, fuel pump, fuel filter, oil pressure, sensors, etc... she wasn't throwing any codes either, so we changed out the fuel filter, replaced the impeller and replaced the coolant sensor. Runs like a champ now... We think the coolant sensor was bad and causing her to go in to 'limp mode' and then finally shut down. Part number is BWD WT3000 at O'Reilly's and is on the port side of the engine, down low.

Sounds like you are having similar issues - maybe? Good luck and let us know how things turn out....
Wow - that sounds like the exact problem. The interesting thing is that my v-drive fluid light would come on after about 5 minutes of idling, but go off as soon as I put it in gear. The fluid looked good, so I figured that it was just going off because fluid wan't circulating. I wonder if the two are related?

I'll definitely replace this sensor as well! Thanks!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:57 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
It sounds like the classic case of the wadding in the fuel pump inlet screen. Who knows where this comes from but what ends up looking like the stuff from the end of a Q-Tip on that fine mesh inlet screen will give those exact loss of RPM and finally no start as well. Good luck.
I really hope it's something that simple!
Old 04-08-2017, 08:13 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 MasterCraft 225 VRS
What was the final fix for ya? I'm having the same symptoms as described!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyerow View Post
What was the final fix for ya? I'm having the same symptoms as described!
20 year old boat - probably sealed up all connections.. the fuel pickup will be the first to suck air -