Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Try messing with the throttle lever when it is locked in neutral. Could be a Pedal Position Sensor on the throttle. There is a thread about it here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=56678

Seems 2007's are known for these going bad, but they typically surge when the boat is taken in and out of gear.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
^This. Mines going out in 200hours.

Gsxr, yes, if you can see metal partIcles trapped in the oil filter, or the oil is metallic sparkly, you have immediate problems. Probably not the case based on your analysis thus far.
Oil sample analysis catches the concentrations of all substances other than oil, in your oil, but at a microscopic level.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-21-2017, 06:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X-15
Thanks for the reply, I asked them to send a sample out to be tested for my own piece of mind and to set a baseline of where it is now so, next year I can do it again and compare. I’m sure with Christmas though it will be well into the new year before I know anything definitive.

Dealer 2 did say though at in a visual level all was great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Another resurrection of threads go an update......

Dealer 2 felt all was fine, there was nothing in the oil that caused him any concern and that I should just run it and enjoy the boat.

After all was said and done, we put 66 hours on it over two months of mostly surfing mixed with the occasional tubing and wake boarding and did not have any issue!!!

Unfortunately, at the end of the season, dealer 2 had a “new shop guy” that did not get the message that I wanted an oil analyst and dumped it into the bin with all the rest. That being said, after nearly 70 hours of operation with no apparent change in power or sound, knock on wood, I think I dodged a bullet.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Boat: XT22
Great to hear.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
Fellow Albertan here. Enjoyed reading the whole thread, but sorry for your hassle. I'm assuming dealer 1 is MMS? (Or maybe you'd rather not say)
Just FWIW, I had a small block chevy in a car that lost coolant and seized up. I ended up driving it for another year!
Old 11-28-2018, 01:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

2007 Mastercraft X-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
Fellow Albertan here. Enjoyed reading the whole thread, but sorry for you hassle. I'm assuming dealer 1 is MMS? (Or maybe you'd rather not say)

Hey wheelerd, nice to see a fellow Albertan here. Also, thanks for reading the whole thread, one of the things I was trying to accomplish is to record our journey in case someone else ended up in our shoes.

Where in Alberta are you? We live in Calgary but have a cabin out at Jackfish Lake just West of Edmonton.

As for dealer 1, yes, you are correct it is MMS....I have no idea how they have enjoyed the success they appear to have over the years. I am hard pressed to find someone with positive things to say about them.

While our first year was a LONG and EXTREMELY STRESSFUL haul, I learned a ton about my boat in a short amount of time thanks to everyone here and dealer 2 out of Stony Plain!!!! We were finally able to actually enjoy our boat without too much worry last summer for the first time since purchasing it 2 years ago. Now I am counting down the days until the big melt so I can get back out!!!!

Old 11-28-2018, 02:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
I'm in Red Deer and put it at Gull Lake mostly since we camp there alot.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Good to hear you had a good uneventful season with your boat!
Anymore on the rpm “hunting”?
The throttle controller behind the throttle lever, like Sodar said, is the likely culprit if the engine randomly increases rpms while sitting at idle. And it is sporatic.
It’s a $100 part that is a 1 beer fix with nothing more than a screwdriver to take the side panel loose.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-28-2018, 01:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Good to hear you had a good uneventful season with your boat!

Anymore on the rpm “hunting”?

The throttle controller behind the throttle lever, like Sodar said, is the likely culprit if the engine randomly increases rpms while sitting at idle. And it is sporatic.

It’s a $100 part that is a 1 beer fix with nothing more than a screwdriver to take the side panel loose.

Thanks for the reply....

Nope, it never did that again so I am not too sure what it was. All summer it started immediately and would idle completely fine. That being said, we were using it every day....when the dealer experienced it the boat had not been started in a while and had just come from dealer 1.