Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Find A Pull / Give a Pull

Old 12-26-2018, 11:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
Phoenix area looking for a pull

My wife and I are heading to Mesa Feb 15-18 th (MLK weekend) and we will probably be checking out some of the lakes in the area. Im thinking the canyon lake chain, any recommendations where to stay ?... is Havasu worth the drive? We would love to climb aboard a MC (or anything that floats and runs honestly) , otherwise we will rent a Jet Ski. We're both avid boaters/ drivers/ boarders. Can pay $$$ and assist launching & loading.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
We're wimps out here in Phoenix; I'm not going anywhere near the lake in February - the air temp will probably be mid-70's and the water will be maybe 55. Too cold for this desert rat. Heck I can't get anyone to go with me until the water warms into the 80s.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Wow...that's a nice early May day in WI

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-28-2018, 08:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
We're wimps out here in Phoenix; I'm not going anywhere near the lake in February - the air temp will probably be mid-70's and the water will be maybe 55. Too cold for this desert rat. Heck I can't get anyone to go with me until the water warms into the 80s.
I figured the water would be chilly still... Whats the best lake in the area?
Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 PM
MC Devotee

The Salt River lakes are beautiful. Saguaro, Canyon, Apache are all excellent skiing lakes and quite accessible from Mesa. On the NW side of Phoenix, Lake Pleasant is large and has excellent facilities - but suffers from wind chop and a boring landscape.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Mesa Area

What brings you to town? Are you looking to stay near the water? The lakes out here are almost all on National Forest, so there are no homes on them that I have found. Staying in Northeast Mesa puts you about as close as possible.

When I lived in the Midwest, we skied / boated as long as the season would allow, but you do not see too many people in the water here in "winter". As previously stated, both Canyon and Saguaro Lake are really pretty nice. Completely different experience than anything I have seen in the Midwest or Southeast because of it being surrounded by National Forest. That, and I have never seen a cactus from a boat before moving here.

Steve

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 12-29-2018, 11:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTRSK1R View Post
What brings you to town? Are you looking to stay near the water? The lakes out here are almost all on National Forest, so there are no homes on them that I have found. Staying in Northeast Mesa puts you about as close as possible.

When I lived in the Midwest, we skied / boated as long as the season would allow, but you do not see too many people in the water here in "winter". As previously stated, both Canyon and Saguaro Lake are really pretty nice. Completely different experience than anything I have seen in the Midwest or Southeast because of it being surrounded by National Forest. That, and I have never seen a cactus from a boat before moving here.

Steve
It's my wife's Christmas present. We dont have any plans yet. We just want to explore some awesome southwest areas. Never really done anything like this before. I would like to stay near the water. But I appreciate being on a lake with no signs of civilization also. Other than the lakes anything else we should not miss while were there?
Old 12-30-2018, 11:25 AM
MC Devotee

Depends on how far you want to travel. There's really not a whole lot in terms of "should not miss" in the Phoenix vicinity. Kartchner Caverns is a marvelous cave system a couple hours south, the Grand Canyon (of course!) is 3-4 hours north, Sedona is a quaint tourist trap an hour north, Snowbowl is the local snow ski area about 2 hours north.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Depends on how far you want to travel. There's really not a whole lot in terms of "should not miss" in the Phoenix vicinity. Kartchner Caverns is a marvelous cave system a couple hours south, the Grand Canyon (of course!) is 3-4 hours north, Sedona is a quaint tourist trap an hour north, Snowbowl is the local snow ski area about 2 hours north.
Thanks, I will keep these in mind.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastar View Post
Thanks, I will keep these in mind.
I have skied on quite a few of the public lakes within the Phoenix area... Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Pleasant. AZ lakes are beautiful, but are so overcrowded, I honestly don't know how anyone can possibly get decent conditions. Only good water I ever had in Arizona was at Buchlli and the rotation took the majority of the day for 2 sets.