Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrey2002 View Post
Thank you. I clarified my question, I worded it poorly on my first pass. My main question is trying to “Value” the boat. It is being sold with a lot of accessories and difficult for me to ascertain what I am paying for the boat. The extras are nice, but if I don’t need them, I will end up just paying over market for the boat.
Ah. I did some looking on NADA who said low retail is 9k. I'd probably go like 7-8k on it depending on hours and maintenance records, but anyone's welcome to disagree. That way you can throw some money into it to make it quite nice.
2015 Ohio State Engineering, Back2Back B1G Champions
---------------------------------------
Old 01-23-2019, 11:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
The upholstery will be expensive to replace (5K+) if you choose to do so.

Do you plan on keeping it for several years? Adding a tower? Bimini? Both? Is the upholstery bothersome to you? Lastly, whats the asking price?

As it sits, today, $6500.00 jumps out to me as a fair price. If he is like no way 8 firm then keep looking.....
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Maristar 210 VRS w/ 330hp LTR
Thank you. Yes, that falls in line with what I am thinking. Upholstery is very expensive!! I do plan to hold the boat for 4-5 years. Not that I plan to sell it, but unless something unexpected occurs, I should have for that long. I will definitely need some type of shade as I do not handle heat well and do not like low hanging Biminis. Thank you again for your comments.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:14 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you. I saw the NADA guidelines, but then heard you don't often find Mastercraft boats at NADA guidelines. I know in the MC community, there is a STRONG preference for the Prostar style with larger swim platforms and didn't know how the Maristar version holds to that. I happen to like the Maristar for the extra width and open bow. I did not see maintenance records, but the man is a Master Mechanic and his care was clearly evident. I don't mind paying a little more for that as my biggest fear is buying something I cannot fix myself. (Beginner to moderate skills on engines). While no Boat is a sure thing, you can onlly go by what you see/hear/feel. So far so good. But, I need to be sure I buy at a level that is fair. You raise a good point. If I don't do the upholstery, after my few years of ownership, it may be a requirement to sell or I lose the difference. Thank you for you thoughts.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I'd also think somewhere between 6-7K, probably on the lower end. It's still off-season, so not too many people shopping right now, and the upholstery has been mentioned.
Depending on what they're asking, you could always make a low offer, judge their reaction and go from there.
G
Old 01-23-2019, 02:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Thank you. Yes, that falls in line with what I am thinking. Upholstery is very expensive!! I do plan to hold the boat for 4-5 years. Not that I plan to sell it, but unless something unexpected occurs, I should have for that long. I will definitely need some type of shade as I do not handle heat well and do not like low hanging Biminis. Thank you again for your comments.
Bimini is not too expensive unless you go sunbrella. What's he asking?
Old 01-23-2019, 02:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Thank you. I clarified my question, I worded it poorly on my first pass. My main question is trying to “Value” the boat. It is being sold with a lot of accessories and difficult for me to ascertain what I am paying for the boat. The extras are nice, but if I don’t need them, I will end up just paying over market for the boat.
Welcome to the site. You'll find plenty of help and opinions here. The following would be mine based on my years of owning, buying and selling these boats.

To start with never factor accessories into the value of the boat. Used gear is worth next to nothing and can be found on craiglist for next to nothing. Focus on the boat alone and the rest will take care of itself.

So with that out of the way let's start with the up and down sides of the boat. First the up side....

The engine, hull and trailer look to be in excellent condition and well taken care of. The boat is also new enough to have fuel injection which is a plus in my book. If the pictures are accurate these areas of the boat are exceptional for a boat this age.

***You'll have to verify actual condition so if you're not comfortable with the mechanical aspects of the boat don't hesitate to hire a surveyor or take it to a dealer that knows inboards for an inspection. It may seem like an additional cost but will be worth the piece of mind.***

Now the down side.....

This was never a really popular hull mostly because of the integrated platform which is less than ideal when putting on skis or boards. Nor was it know to be a great ski hull like the Pro Star 190. The following year the boat would be transformed into a vDrive and start a whole new trend in inboards.

I've never been one for any additive or chemical cleaning process the manufacture hasn't recommended and haven't seem Sea Foam as a recommended product by GM or Indmar. As such I don't see this as a positive maintenance procedure and if anything would be more inclined to have the engine inspected.

I would look real close at the manufacture date on the tires and look the brakes over real close as well. Tires have an expiration date and even the best looking used trailers I've looked at have had issues with brake system maintenance.

The elephant in the room is the interior. I've seen people post beautiful redone interiors that they say they paid $2500 for but I've yet to see one of those up here in the frozen north. Before buying something like this you should get at least 3 local price to completely redo the interior as up here, like others have stated that a $4K to $5K interior which is going to affect the value of the boat.

The tower and any other accessories you want to add are on you, just remember that one person's jewel is another person's junk so don't expect to add any significant value with any upgrades you do.

So if everything were wonderful I would personally put the value of that boat up here at about $8K- $11K depending on the time of the year. With the interior the way it is I'd subtract $4K - $5K off that price depending on what you can get a new interior for. I would subtract more for every other items that you find wrong based on cost to repair/replace.

Unfortunately this just wasn't a popular model and neither was the TriStar. I will say that I owned a 89 TriStar 190 and would have rather had this model between the two though. In the end unless you really see something in the boat that you have to have I'm in at $6K to $7K max as it sits.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM
MC Master Poster

BT hits it well.

I compare this to a 20 year old kid that buys a $10,000 dirt bike and put's $3000 of post factory add on items that he deems are a "necessity". A year or two later you see and ad that states:

Over $13,000 invested..... $11,000 or best offer.

In his mind its worth every penny while the next guy hates the graphics, the plastics and so on so in his mind it's only worth $8,000

So, be careful of your upgrades unless you plan on keeping it forever.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Since it's cold and crappy outside, I'll repost a shot of my 200VRS.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
Bimini is not too expensive unless you go sunbrella. What's he asking?
He has it for $12k with, 10 tubes, 2 sets of O’Brien skis, 1 wakeboard, 1 kneeboard, barefoot boom, 8 life jackets, neoprene in various sizes. I know it’s high, but wasn’t sure how much. I need to break out boat from accessories.