Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 02:02 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
My neighbor experienced severe swaying with his new to him travel trailer when inflated near max pressure. he was told by his dealer that he should be at 35 psi and has not had the problem since
Show this to your neighbor and then have them fix the load inside the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
With so much conflicting information, Im now leery of towing my boat/trailer at all.
Im going to follow this guys setup.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2019, 03:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
With so much conflicting information, Im now leery of towing my boat/trailer at all.
Im going to follow this guys setup.
Thats probably the best call... but based on the below test image...I think that is only valid for <20' boats.
Attached Images

Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Then use a passenger car tire. Still better than those expensive trailer tires. I started pulling trailers (work and recreation) when I was 20, in 40 years I have probably learned a little something about them. I've probably forgotten more about trailers than you even know. Just trying to pass on a little sage advice. No argument from me, buy the high priced crappy "trailer" tires, suit yourself. No skin off my nose.
Lol, I love folks who profess their self importance on the internet by claiming they know more than someone else whom they know absolutely nothing about! Whatever blows your skirt up....
You're potentially right, in that I may have never hooked a trailer to the back of anything and towed it, or I may have more experience than even you who's apparently forgotten more about trailers than most know.
But the simple fact that you even suggested using a P rated tire in the application we are talking about, shows you're mostly just full of __it.
And show me those sweet 14" and 15" LT tires that you talked about. (Seriously if I could find a good 2000lb + load rated LT 14" tire I'd probably use it)
Also, we'd be cool with it if you went back to the Glastron boats forum!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 01-23-2019, 06:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
Ooooo, so full of anger. I feel so chastised. LOL. You're so cute when you are angry. Like I said, do whatever you want. I just offered an option based on my experiences, you are the one who got his "skirt blown up". No conflict from me.

Last edited by roadster02; 01-23-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
^ Where's the LT tires you suggest to be used?

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 01-23-2019, 08:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
If an LT tire can be found in your size then that is what I would use. As I said in an earlier post if not, use a passenger car tire. Either of them are better than a "trailer rated" tire IMHO. I will say no more on this subject. Thank You.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
^ Where's the LT tires you suggest to be used?
You're arguing with a guy that starts threads like this, he's clearly got a self righteous on the internet complex going on.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=60927

2017 Nissan Maxima SL

Lonestar Masterbash
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100065

Texas A&M '21

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread
Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
P and LT tires do not have the sidewall thickness or load ratings that trailer tires do, so heat dissipation is not nearly as good which is a very common cause of trailer tire failure. Extra loads, evasive maneuvers, swaying, lower tire pressure all create extra heat - again heat being a huge enemy of safe trailer tires or any tire under load.

Nearly any tire dealer will suggest a properly rated trailer tire for safety and longevity. See eTrailer, Tire Rack, Goodyear, any credible tire dealer. All will recommend the same.

I would also bet that my X10 trailer likely weights the same or more than a 1980 Glastron CV16 with 115HP outboard, so not a comparison that should be made to a modern vdrive. Also presume a smaller/lighter boat has a single axle so IME would also be biased towards a proper tire since there is no backup in a tire failure.

Lastly, if you are the numbnut who wants to save $40 and endanger yourself, then that alone might benefit the gene pool - but you are also endangering everyone else on the road so GTFO.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
P and LT tires do not have the sidewall thickness or load ratings that trailer tires do, so heat dissipation is not nearly as good which is a very common cause of trailer tire failure. Extra loads, evasive maneuvers, swaying, lower tire pressure all create extra heat - again heat being a huge enemy of safe trailer tires or any tire under load.

Nearly any tire dealer will suggest a properly rated trailer tire for safety and longevity. See eTrailer, Tire Rack, Goodyear, any credible tire dealer. All will recommend the same.

I would also bet that my X10 trailer likely weights the same or more than a 1980 Glastron CV16 with 115HP outboard, so not a comparison that should be made to a modern vdrive. Also presume a smaller/lighter boat has a single axle so IME would also be biased towards a proper tire since there is no backup in a tire failure.

Lastly, if you are the numbnut who wants to save $40 and endanger yourself, then that alone might benefit the gene pool - but you are also endangering everyone else on the road so GTFO.
Moose you don't understand, Roadster has forgotten more about tires than anyone here has ever learned

Oh and I went over to the Glastron forums, (where you should be Roaster) and you're exactly right. Under 1500lbs vs a 3500lbs X2. Food for thought.

Oh and Roadster if you ever do cause an accident from a trailer blowout make sure your insurance never find this thread! Safety matters!

2017 Nissan Maxima SL

Lonestar Masterbash
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100065

Texas A&M '21

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread