Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2018, 05:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star TBI 310HP Predator
Getting Vinyl redone....suggestions/tips?

I pulled all the vinyl cushions/seats from my 2002 X-star and took them to a local upholstery shop. Any tips/suggestions/ideas you can share with regards to getting this redone? Can they legally use the Mastercraft logo? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
The first and most important step is picking a competent shop, one that does marine work and can show you samples of their work. Sounds like the horse has left the barn here if everything is at the shop.

The answer to the second question no unless they've licensed the art work from MasterCraft.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star TBI 310HP Predator
Thanks. I've seen the work and samples and it looks good. Been recommended by some friends too. I was curious as to colors, textures, etc. I see lots of different textured vinyls now and was wondering how that cleaned up and durability. I feel like the fewer seams the better, but too few seams makes it look so plain. My old vinyl cracked along the seams mostly. Really bad on the center back swim pad where it sees a lot of traffic too. I thought the answer regarding the logo would be no, but I've seen lots of photos of boats that had the interior redone that used the Mastercraft logo and was wondering if that was legal or not.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Up here we have a place that the local dealer uses that seems to be excellent. I've seen a couple of the repairs they've done and you couldn't tell it had ever been worked on. That shop has purchased the licensing to do all the logo's.

What most people up here have been doing with MCOCD is upgrading their interiors to the newer factory materials and schemes. I saw one boat that was done a couple years back that looked incredible, pretty much an 07 with a 2015 interior. Still had that MC feel and quality to it. The biggest failures I've seen have been the cheap boat cushion look where it's beading along the edging and flat material on the seating surface. Typically this is also done with budget vinyl in plain colors that just don't quite look right. A good shop should be able to get you factory vinyl or something on par. I'm always a bit mystified when a person will go out and spend $4K in labor to have a boat redone but will cheap out on the extra $500 to get the better material to push the project over the top.

The vinyl on your boat was from a time where the EPA had enacted rules about the chemicals that were currently being used to be eliminated. The story I've heard is that the quick to market new material was more brittle and that combined with the sewing technique being used cause the seams to tear. Some manufactures seemed to be better than others but for the most part everyone was having similar issues. As a result when I look at boats from 2000 - 2004 I'm really looking at the condition of the interior. If I see any indication that the seams are going I automatically subtract $3K - $5K off the price as you'll be putting a new interior in sooner than later.

Last edited by bturner2; 10-02-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X5
^^^ Agreed. I have a 2000. I did not know this was a year of poor vinyl quality for lack of better explanation. I got the boat on par with what it should have cost at the time of purchase, however, a $2,500 bill getting most of the boat interior reworked was a hard pill to swallow.

I am happy with the results, but upset at the additional money I did not expect to spend. If you want your interior to show your pride in the MC, it will cost you, but its well worth it. As mentioned above too, spend a little more to get it done correctly the first time.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS
The only shop I am aware that actually has permission to use the MC and Mastercraft logos is Viper Customs in Venoire, TN. Notice the location. It is where your boat was fabricated to start. It is a shop run by a bunch of people who used to work for Mastercraft before the economy flipped 15-20 years ago. They have the OK to put the logos back on. They are a little slow but VERY good at what they do. I had my 2001 done there 2 years ago and it is better that the original!! Most folks in the southeast (and many from across the country) get an estimate from them.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18
I just had my 2002 X-30's interior completely redone over the winter. I used the 2015 type material. It came out great.

One thing I would definitely recommend is to invest in new foam along with the new vinyl. New vinyl is great but if your foam is broken down (17 years old), then it's time to upgrade that to.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro V 205
Send a message via AIM to jss101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrowbot View Post
^^^ Agreed. I have a 2000. I did not know this was a year of poor vinyl quality for lack of better explanation. I got the boat on par with what it should have cost at the time of purchase, however, a $2,500 bill getting most of the boat interior reworked was a hard pill to swallow.

I am happy with the results, but upset at the additional money I did not expect to spend. If you want your interior to show your pride in the MC, it will cost you, but its well worth it. As mentioned above too, spend a little more to get it done correctly the first time.
I have a 2000 205V and I know what you're talking about. The upholstery quality in that particular year was terrible. I didn't do what you did - I didn't get the whole thing done. Perhaps I should have. I've had the big pad in the back done, the driver's seat, and a few other random ones. The original quality was poor. It's more expensive than I would have thought to re-upholster.

Love the boat though.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001, 205v
Iím on the books to have my interior redone mid November. 2001 205v. I got quotes from multiple shops within 2hrs of me. I was quoted anywhere from 2800-7000. This was for me to remove the seats and pads and then re install after the are re covered. I ended up going with a guy for 4k that is about an hr from my house. He was really responsive to any questions I had and responded quickly. He even threw together a couple quick samples of different stitching when we where discussing design. We are up in the air on if I am replacing the padding or not. Depends what it looks like when he gets the skins off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 09:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 205v
Iím doing my Ď99 205v this off-season as well. Is it the year of 205 reskins or what? Iím in Tennessee and still havenít decided if Iím going to use the local shop or possibly take it to viper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk