Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 12-20-2018, 12:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstan View Post
Thanks. Found the starboard side plug with a bum shoulder and drained it. Many of the hoses had nothing so i should be good.
Laughed when I read your post. I’m always gimped up too for some reason every time I have to work on my boat. You still need to get the knock sensor on the other side of the engine. It will be n the same location and have a wire plug going to it and need about a 1 inch socket to get it off then you know for sure your block is empty.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:51 AM

Boat: XT22
Definitely pull the port side plug, too, as gwozhog said. Don't want to read about a casualty this spring.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30 MCX
After you pull the knock sensor and the drain plug on the starboard side, get a 3-inch “drywall” screw and stick it up those holes a few times. The first time I winterized my boat 3 years ago, not much water came out until I pulled out a ton of rust scale from the drain holes. Now I pull those and about a quart to a half gallon comes flooding out of each.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soder View Post
After you pull the knock sensor and the drain plug on the starboard side, get a 3-inch “drywall” screw and stick it up those holes a few times. The first time I winterized my boat 3 years ago, not much water came out until I pulled out a ton of rust scale from the drain holes. Now I pull those and about a quart to a half gallon comes flooding out of each.
I do this - but just flip the plug around and use the post that the knock sensor attaches to on the exterior side of the plug. That’s enough to free up any rust scale flakes and then the water comes flooding out.