Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-15-2019, 08:19 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 190 Prostar 1993 351 windsor
Oil dipstick

1993 Mastercraft prostar 190

This is the craziest dip stick I have ever seen!! Extremely Hard to put back as it is not a straight run to the engine but turns. Must be pushed down about an inch at a time??? But I guess my main question is, just changed the oil, 5 quarts put in and the gage is not reading enough oil nor is the dipstick?

Anyone have any experience or insight here that might help? Thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 08:30 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
The gauge doesn't read the oil level. Rather it reads the pressure the oil pump is making.

With 5 quarts in you might have a low reading on the stick because the engines are on a degreed slant. However, you should not be reading zero on the oil pressure gauge.

Do you know how much you drained out?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190

Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-16-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 centurion falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by di412000 View Post
1993 Mastercraft prostar 190

This is the craziest dip stick I have ever seen!! Extremely Hard to put back as it is not a straight run to the engine but turns. Must be pushed down about an inch at a time??? But I guess my main question is, just changed the oil, 5 quarts put in and the gage is not reading enough oil nor is the dipstick?

Anyone have any experience or insight here that might help? Thanks
Also if your trailer isn't on level ground it could throw off the oil level . I usually throw in about 4-4.5 quarts then float the boat and check its oil level on the water usually I have to add a little. I recommend always checking on the water after a change.

As far as the dip stick , I've never had a hard time putting it back in. Look at your dipstick tube and see how its shaped, make sure your dip stick doesnt have any un neccessary bends. If so it might be time to replace it. I'm assuming you have a 351, if so I believe there was a thread recently regarding purchasing the correct dip stick I'm sure you could find it with a little research or give the guys at skidim a call .

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88falcon View Post
Also if your trailer isn't on level ground it could throw off the oil level . I usually throw in about 4-4.5 quarts then float the boat and check its oil level on the water usually I have to add a little. I recommend always checking on the water after a change.

As far as the dip stick , I've never had a hard time putting it back in. Look at your dipstick tube and see how its shaped, make sure your dip stick doesnt have any un neccessary bends. If so it might be time to replace it. I'm assuming you have a 351, if so I believe there was a thread recently regarding purchasing the correct dip stick I'm sure you could find it with a little research or give the guys at skidim a call .

Hope this helps.

I forgot to add , check to make sure you have power to your oil pressure sender , if you do trace the wiring back to your oil pressure gauge. If all is hooked up properly it may be time to replace the sender , I had to replace mine last year. Dont purchase an automotive one if you decide to replace it , the the threaded section is a different size *at least the one I purchased was* . Your local marine shop should carry one and it's a very easy repair.

Goodluck sir.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:32 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 190 Prostar 1993 351 windsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88falcon View Post
I forgot to add , check to make sure you have power to your oil pressure sender , if you do trace the wiring back to your oil pressure gauge. If all is hooked up properly it may be time to replace the sender , I had to replace mine last year. Dont purchase an automotive one if you decide to replace it , the the threaded section is a different size *at least the one I purchased was* . Your local marine shop should carry one and it's a very easy repair.

Goodluck sir.

Thank you. Yes I checked. There is power to the sender. I have a sender on order and am going to replace it. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Today I am going to order a replacement dipstick also. I don't know how many other years don't have a straight oil tube but 1993 sure is crazy. Maybe years of trying to insert this crazy thing has cause little bends. So going to replace it and see if that helps
Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
The dipstick is flat in one plane if you have it such that the flat faces the bend it goes in easy. If you turn it 90 degrees it goes in badly.

On my 88 if you use a vacuum on the tube when hot and do a large size filter it takes about 5 go hit the mark.

I would add another and see where it goes. Is be tempted to install a mechanical pressure gauge to figure out what yours actually has.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:45 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Why post it at all if you are going to turn around and delete it a few days later? I don't understand it at all. You give great advise from your vast knowledge and then just remove it.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 03-20-2019, 11:27 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by di412000 View Post
Thank you. Yes I checked. There is power to the sender. I have a sender on order and am going to replace it. Hopefully that fixes the problem. Today I am going to order a replacement dipstick also. I don't know how many other years don't have a straight oil tube but 1993 sure is crazy. Maybe years of trying to insert this crazy thing has cause little bends. So going to replace it and see if that helps
As PS190 said I would try a mechanical gauge before replacing the sender. Might be worth a shot. Sorry I forgot to add that in my last post