Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 12:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 19 X24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelmwake View Post
Funny that you say that as I sort of for some reason think so too, even though I have never even heard a boat with any rev speakers. I am just afraid that the rev 10s will no sound good when surfing? any comment on that?
With proper amp tuning, I think they can be good. You just have to set your high frequency crossover to cut down on the highs, so that the mid/low frequencies aren’t dominated so much. From what I have heard, the rev 10s are much easier to balance for mid/lows at short distance anyway. I don’t have much personal experience. Just have a few friends with rev10s. They aren’t very well balanced, but I don’t think any of my friends have tuned anything on them. I think they are just full pass. So, at short distances, the highs really drown out the lows.

MLA, or maybe Aric would probably have more experience/input on that.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2019 X-Star Ilmor 6000GDI RadNorth Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
No doubt, that looks pretty nice. I am just not a huge fan of the grill style compared to the Klipsch, or new M6 style.

Itís likely Iíll just do a new JL MVi 800/8 bridged to 4 Rev10s.

For some reason I feel it is more OK, that if you have a different brand on the tower, they should be wetsounds.
When do you think JL Audio will release this amp that you are talking about, as it probably is the Marine version of the VXi series or ? I did not find any info on the MVi amps on their web site.

2019 MasterCraft X-Star
2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2009 Malibu WAKESETTER VLX SS
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190
Old 12-08-2018, 12:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Rev 10's sound great when surfing. But really most tower speakers will be fine for surfing. I'd probably go Rev 8's for surfing only and get some more headroom.

If you care about sound at wakeboard length Rev 10's are the best IMO. 2 rev 10's w/ proper power have great sound at 75' no problem. 4 speakers is better but kind of overkill.
Yeah I am def not going for 4 tower speakers as I was totally pleased with my 2 x 8.8 JL audio units and never blasted even them at full power.

2019 MasterCraft X-Star
2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
Old 12-08-2018, 12:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
With proper amp tuning, I think they can be good. You just have to set your high frequency crossover to cut down on the highs, so that the mid/low frequencies arenít dominated so much. From what I have heard, the rev 10s are much easier to balance for mid/lows at short distance anyway. I donít have much personal experience. Just have a few friends with rev10s. They arenít very well balanced, but I donít think any of my friends have tuned anything on them. I think they are just full pass. So, at short distances, the highs really drown out the lows.

When surfing, itís definitely easy for the highs to deafen you when theyíre not tuned right. I have the treble on my head unit tuned to -2 to counteract it a bit, which could be wrong to do but to my ear, they sound great.

When theyíre at full volume, they scream. The mid bass and volume is truly unreal, even from 1/4 mile away.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 12-08-2018, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
When surfing, itís definitely easy for the highs to deafen you when theyíre not tuned right. I have the treble on my head unit tuned to -2 to counteract it a bit, which could be wrong to do but to my ear, they sound great.

When theyíre at full volume, they scream. The mid bass and volume is truly unreal, even from 1/4 mile away.
Your neighbors must love you... ;-)
Old 12-08-2018, 01:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
Your neighbors must love you... ;-)
I think the whole lake loves me.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelmwake View Post
Funny that you say that as I sort of for some reason think so too, even though I have never even heard a boat with any rev speakers. I am just afraid that the rev 10s will not sound good when surfing? any comment on that?
As noted earlier, go with the larger 10" rev-10 over the smaller 8" rev-8. Larger speakers almost always deliver better sound quality then a smaller speaker. In the case of an 8" HLCD and a 10" HLCD, the larger 10" offers much more mid-bass to better balance with the dominant compression driver.

Normally, I would say go with an 8" coaxial over an 8" HLCD for surfing. However, in this case where the amp output is going to be so lacking (for a tower pod), you are going to need all the help you can get. If head room is a concern, go with the rev-8 over a coaxial like the 8.8 or icon-8.

If you are only going to wire the pair up to the 2 vacant amp chnls, the larger speaker will also help with additional output (volume), since these will be powered WAY below their potential. The rep states the amp is 100W rms X 8, but did not state if thats at 2 or 4 ohm. I thinks its 2 ohm, so a 4 ohm speaker, the wattage will be less.

The other thing is, you can not in any way shape or form, tune these speakers. What ever the factory had in mind for those chnls, is what you will have to live with.

In my little corner of the world, hardly anyone buys speakers for wake range projection any more. Yes, we install Rev-10 over icon-8 like 10/1

As to the JL 8 chnl. Some how this new amp was not seen at IBEX a couple months ago. They said the current M series was staying as is, except the M200/2 was being retired. However, they are releasing an new 2 chnl that DSP, well, a whole line of new DSP marine amp anyway. This new 2 chnl will be a 600W rms, so 150W rms to 2 pair. This would be my choice over bridging an 8 chnl into 4 chnl mode. If this new amp is like the current M800/8, WAY to many rca Y cables. If you are budgeting for the 800/8 and not afraid to venture out of the JL stable, Di consider the Wet Sounds Syn-DX2.3HP. 600W rms x 2 @ 2 ohm, so 300W rms for each of 4 pods. Thats a solid 100W more per pod.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
As noted earlier, go with the larger 10" rev-10 over the smaller 8" rev-8. Larger speakers almost always deliver better sound quality then a smaller speaker. In the case of an 8" HLCD and a 10" HLCD, the larger 10" offers much more mid-bass to better balance with the dominant compression driver.

Normally, I would say go with an 8" coaxial over an 8" HLCD for surfing. However, in this case where the amp output is going to be so lacking (for a tower pod), you are going to need all the help you can get. If head room is a concern, go with the rev-8 over a coaxial like the 8.8 or icon-8.

If you are only going to wire the pair up to the 2 vacant amp chnls, the larger speaker will also help with additional output (volume), since these will be powered WAY below their potential. The rep states the amp is 100W rms X 8, but did not state if thats at 2 or 4 ohm. I thinks its 2 ohm, so a 4 ohm speaker, the wattage will be less.

The other thing is, you can not in any way shape or form, tune these speakers. What ever the factory had in mind for those chnls, is what you will have to live with.

In my little corner of the world, hardly anyone buys speakers for wake range projection any more. Yes, we install Rev-10 over icon-8 like 10/1

As to the JL 8 chnl. Some how this new amp was not seen at IBEX a couple months ago. They said the current M series was staying as is, except the M200/2 was being retired. However, they are releasing an new 2 chnl that DSP, well, a whole line of new DSP marine amp anyway. This new 2 chnl will be a 600W rms, so 150W rms to 2 pair. This would be my choice over bridging an 8 chnl into 4 chnl mode. If this new amp is like the current M800/8, WAY to many rca Y cables. If you are budgeting for the 800/8 and not afraid to venture out of the JL stable, Di consider the Wet Sounds Syn-DX2.3HP. 600W rms x 2 @ 2 ohm, so 300W rms for each of 4 pods. Thats a solid 100W more per pod.
Thanks for the info! I most certainly will not go with too little amp power if I end up going the REV10 route, new amps will need to be added. I have done quite extensive car audio installations back in the day and my current home cinema is without compromises as well ... there is the saying that there is no substitute for power in the audio game and I for certain try to live by that rule I would think that the 8 channel Klipsch is rated 100W RMS at 4Ohms as they do power the S85 tower cans using the same amp and those channels

2019 MasterCraft X-Star
2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
Quote:
With proper amp tuning, I think they can be good. You just have to set your high frequency crossover to cut down on the highs, so that the mid/low frequencies arenít dominated so much. From what I have heard, the rev 10s are much easier to balance for mid/lows at short distance anyway. I donít have much personal experience. Just have a few friends with rev10s. They arenít very well balanced, but I donít think any of my friends have tuned anything on them. I think they are just full pass. So, at short distances, the highs really drown out the lows.

I have the wetsounds controller and turn down the highs. They can be harsh. Make sure you have some way to control them in your system.

I don't think the Rev10's can be beat at wakeboard length because of how loud and clear they are but for surfing only there are some smaller, better balanced, better sounding options.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
I have the wetsounds controller and turn down the highs. They can be harsh. Make sure you have some way to control them in your system.

I don't think the Rev10's can be beat at wakeboard length because of how loud and clear they are but for surfing only there are some smaller, better balanced, better sounding options.
Something like an HLCD will not be great for close range, thatís the inherent design of
An HLCD.