Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 08:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2019 X-Star Ilmor 6000GDI RadNorth Edition
Which tower speakers would you recommend for a 2019 mc?

I ordered my Xstar without tower speakers as I can certainly live without them, but I will most likely add them at some point.

So I of course like the looks and quality of the S85 klipsch tower cans, but are they as good as the 8.8" JL Audio cans that I have in my current mc?

What about the Wetsounds REV 10s or 8s?

I would not like to add an amp as the Star comes standard with the 8 channel amp and the sub amp. What is the RMS power rating of the klipsch 8 channel amp as that will of course dictate a lot which cans I can use?

2019 MasterCraft X-Star
2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2009 Malibu WAKESETTER VLX SS
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190
Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 19 X24
I am in the same situation with my X24. The double pods did ok on my XStar, but they weren’t all that impressive. The S85 setup is very underwhelming IMO. That said, it might be a factory amplifier problem, not a speaker problem.

I was thinking about getting 4 of the S85s, and powering them properly, but I’m not 100% sold on that idea yet. The new JL M6 series looks interesting, and will be released to the general public soon. JL is also releasing a new series of marine amps, which are just like the mobile VXi series. That new series of amps will be perfect for integrating into the new MCs.

Also been tossing around the idea of just doing a pair of rev10s. There is no question on the capability of those....... I just wish wetsounds would update the look of them. They just don’t look all that good compared to other current offerings.

Either way, I think your limiting factor, is going to be your amp. I am pretty sure you will want to add one. The factory setup is only 100w/channel to two tower speakers, unless you order the boat with the pods. Even then, it’s underpowered.

I’d like to rip the whole setup out of the X24, and install all new JL M6 series speakers and the new amps. However, I’m not sure I want to bother with that much work.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft X23
I have the twin pods and they are damn loud/clear when you crank them. I have no experience with Wetsounds but I'm sure the factory speakers aren't quite as loud or have the bass. I'd like to see four S85 Klipsch cans across the tower and some reviews with that setup. The pods have the horn driver which creates a lot of volume which i don't think the S85's have.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
If you are looking at going with HLCD's, I would consider the larger 10" rev-10 over the 8" Rev-8.

Ive not gotten a good demo of the factory offering, so I cant say "dont go with them because......".

Im not sure, but I do not think that factory installed 8 chnl has 4 open chnls for bridging a pair of tower speakers. I would certainly not want to put a tower speaker on a single amp chnls, for lack power. The other thing, is what you are looking to do? if not, then there might not be an available amp tune, to accommodate.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
I am in the same situation with my X24. The double pods did ok on my XStar, but they werenít all that impressive. The S85 setup is very underwhelming IMO. That said, it might be a factory amplifier problem, not a speaker problem.

I was thinking about getting 4 of the S85s, and powering them properly, but Iím not 100% sold on that idea yet. The new JL M6 series looks interesting, and will be released to the general public soon. JL is also releasing a new series of marine amps, which are just like the mobile VXi series. That new series of amps will be perfect for integrating into the new MCs.

Also been tossing around the idea of just doing a pair of rev10s. There is no question on the capability of those....... I just wish wetsounds would update the look of them. They just donít look all that good compared to other current offerings.

Either way, I think your limiting factor, is going to be your amp. I am pretty sure you will want to add one. The factory setup is only 100w/channel to two tower speakers, unless you order the boat with the pods. Even then, itís underpowered.

Iíd like to rip the whole setup out of the X24, and install all new JL M6 series speakers and the new amps. However, Iím not sure I want to bother with that much work.
I do not think the REV10s look too bad actually or what do you think based on the pic that I found of the TerribleOnes Xstar.
Attached Images

2019 MasterCraft X-Star
2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
I am in the same situation with my X24. The double pods did ok on my XStar, but they werenít all that impressive. The S85 setup is very underwhelming IMO. That said, it might be a factory amplifier problem, not a speaker problem.

I was thinking about getting 4 of the S85s, and powering them properly, but Iím not 100% sold on that idea yet. The new JL M6 series looks interesting, and will be released to the general public soon. JL is also releasing a new series of marine amps, which are just like the mobile VXi series. That new series of amps will be perfect for integrating into the new MCs.

Also been tossing around the idea of just doing a pair of rev10s. There is no question on the capability of those....... I just wish wetsounds would update the look of them. They just donít look all that good compared to other current offerings.

Either way, I think your limiting factor, is going to be your amp. I am pretty sure you will want to add one. The factory setup is only 100w/channel to two tower speakers, unless you order the boat with the pods. Even then, itís underpowered.

Iíd like to rip the whole setup out of the X24, and install all new JL M6 series speakers and the new amps. However, Iím not sure I want to bother with that much work.
I would love to see one of your stereo upgrade threads as probably many other TTers

2019 MasterCraft X-Star
2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
If you are looking at going with HLCD's, I would consider the larger 10" rev-10 over the 8" Rev-8.

Ive not gotten a good demo of the factory offering, so I cant say "dont go with them because......".

Im not sure, but I do not think that factory installed 8 chnl has 4 open chnls for bridging a pair of tower speakers. I would certainly not want to put a tower speaker on a single amp chnls, for lack power. The other thing, is what you are looking to do? if not, then there might not be an available amp tune, to accommodate.
It has only 2 channels free. I used on my 2017 X23 a JL Audio MHD600/4 which is 150W per channel RMS for powering the 10" sub in bridged mode and the the 2 remaining channels for the JL 8.8" tower speakers and the 150W per 8.8" was plenty. But power is so dependent on the speaker sensitivity I know

2019 MasterCraft X-Star
2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 19 X24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelmwake View Post
I do not think the REV10s look too bad actually or what do you think based on the pic that I found of the TerribleOnes Xstar.
No doubt, that looks pretty nice. I am just not a huge fan of the grill style compared to the Klipsch, or new M6 style.

Itís likely Iíll just do a new JL MVi 800/8 bridged to 4 Rev10s.

For some reason I feel it is more OK, that if you have a different brand on the tower, they should be wetsounds.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
No doubt, that looks pretty nice. I am just not a huge fan of the grill style compared to the Klipsch, or new M6 style.

Itís likely Iíll just do a new JL MVi 800/8 bridged to 4 Rev10s.

For some reason I feel it is more OK, that if you have a different brand on the tower, they should be wetsounds.
Funny that you say that as I sort of for some reason think so too, even though I have never even heard a boat with any rev speakers. I am just afraid that the rev 10s will no sound good when surfing? any comment on that?

2019 MasterCraft X-Star
2017 MasterCraft X23
2015 MasterCraft X23
2007 MasterCraft X45
2005 MasterCraft X-Star
2004 Tige 20v
Old 12-08-2018, 12:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
Rev 10's sound great when surfing. But really most tower speakers will be fine for surfing. I'd probably go Rev 8's for surfing only and get some more headroom.

If you care about sound at wakeboard length Rev 10's are the best IMO. 2 rev 10's w/ proper power have great sound at 75' no problem. 4 speakers is better but kind of overkill.