Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X star, 2005
you have a shipmate here that lives in California... Let me know how I can help!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:44 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
3 years is a long down time for a boat. I agree with selling it.

If not, it's going to end up in a no name contracted storage yard outside. No one is going to care for it if something happens.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Boat: XT22
I hate to say that I'm in the "sell it" camp, too. 3 years is a long time, there is a lot that can go wrong. Especially not knowing the storage conditions. Put the money in a safe investment, and start shopping when you get back.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Couple thoughts.
Don't see depreciation being a factor unless the economy takes a dump, especially with a CSX.
Payments/interest may be a factor. That's for the OP to decide.

Storage: I would 100% NOT store it outside. If that is the only option on the table, sell it. Guess it depends where the OPs next transfer will be to. Back to HI or coastal, keep it. Inland? Make your $ selling it and find another model when you return.
You're already getting it moved to the mainland, so indoor storage (although it costs $) is very feasible and could be not too expensive if you find an out of the way locale where storage prices aren't alot.
What about leaving it with family or a trusted friend?

Actual layup for 3 years? Not much more than a normal winterization. We left the X2 at home for 2 years. Normal winterization, drained water, changed oils, greased the rudder and steering and sucked some antifreeze into the ballasts and removed the batteries (truck needed new batteries or I would have probably left them on the maintianer).
Stabilized the fuel, ran the boat with stabilized no ethanol fuel. Drained the tank down.

I used to fog engines and it's not a bad idea maybe to fog the cylinders individually but you can't just fog through the intake, unless you get downstream of the map sensor, but I haven't ever fogged the boat and it sits in an unheated shop in seattle. Same with all the other toys that get laid up for summer or winter. Back in the day I fogged all the engines. Then I didn't and nothing bad happened. Havent taken the fogging oil off the shelf since about 1999!

2 years later, I put 2 new batteries in it, checked tire pressure, filled it with gas and went for a ride. That was 4 years ago.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-04-2018, 01:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
FWIW, for the same 2 years, there were 2 vehicles and a slew of small engines that all got their normal layup done (oil change, lube as applicable and stabilize or run out of gas). One mower battery and one car battery, both of questionable age, bit the dust. That's all.

IMO the only concern is secure, DRY storage and rodent protection. Otherwise the boat don't care if it sits for 6 months or 3 years.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-04-2018, 02:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 07 CSX 220
Thanks everyone. That's all very good advise. Someone mentioned putting something inside to keep the rodents out, what do you mean exactly? (like mothballs?)?

I understand everyone saying to sale and in theory I agree with you. The main reason I don't want to sell is I love the boat and they don't make CSXs anymore. Also I would get what it is worth here in Hawaii. Also, don't think I have the option to sell once it is in storage in California. I'm 99% sure I will retire after this tour so will be looking to get it running and plan to have it in the water in Oregon.

I will absolutely push for, and pay if needed for indoor storage, but at the end of the day its not my call. I will also do everything I can to have it shrink-wrapped once it is there but I'm not allowed to do it prior to shipping.

2007 CSX 220.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Bounce dryer sheets for rodent prevention

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
No chance you can find an indoor storage facility on the island so YOU can personally get it taken care of before you PCS? On the DODs dime of course. Then have it shipped to your new state side duty/retirement location once your rotate back?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 12-04-2018, 03:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann View Post
(military is going to move it to California and store it for me).

Would they move a ddifferent boat back?
Old 12-04-2018, 03:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann View Post
I understand everyone saying to sale and in theory I agree with you. The main reason I don't want to sell is I love the boat and they don't make CSXs anymore.
Break Out Another Thousand...we like spending money money... Saving is for the weak....Do what you gotta do. the only things you gotta worry about are things you cant fix easily....Seats and vinyl, and Engine stuff. Change all fluids, winterize as normal, take extra precaution for critters. when you come back fire that thing up and have fun. only main loss with holding it will be storage cost (which is small with military usually) and value loss over time but it sounds like your planning on keeping it till it sinks so who cares. 3 years away sucks though, have fun on the orders.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375

Tags
220, csx, storage