Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 black mastercraft x15 going on 1700 hrs sold! Upgraded to a 2013 mastercraft xstar 👍
2015+ suburban cab drone issues related to V4/V8 mode,

So recently i upgraded my wife's rig to a 2015 suburban ltz comes with the trailer package. I didnt buy this tow the 2013 xstar but if it could on occasion i wouldnt mind. personally with my boat trailer and lead i think im pushing the weight limit. Anyway.. I love this rig it drives great lots of cool features except for one thing, driving between 35-55 cruising speed when it would start to make this annoying drone sound, similar to like a window open a bit, just a distracting noise. I started reading online and it sounded like a common issue in the suburbans and Yukon xls. And people were taking rigs to the dealer to have these issues fixed. Gm couldn't fix the problem. I stumbled across a article about issues with the V8 mode adjusting to the V4 mode, ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT (AFM), and the exhaust tone getting affected by lesser cylinders. This lead me to thinking I bet some one makes a tuner device to delete the v4 mode altogether. I called my local dealer to ask them if they can do it. Short answer was no. For legal reasons. but the service guy said he has plenty of complaints from people about the v4/v8 adjusting especially on the newer 8 speed tranny trucks, and wanted to know what I end up finding, What I found was an electronic device referred to as a afm disabler, well quick search I came up with Range technologies and they make a $200 device you plug in your ob2 port and will automatically shut off the V4 mode. I have ordered one and will hope fully give an update in a couple days to see if this gets rid of my cabin drone.. link to the device https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2019, 08:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
FWIW, I've had my 2017 Yukon XL (5.3 engine, 6-speed tranny) for five months and 5k miles, haven't noticed what you describe. I'll pay more attention.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
First off, sharp looking rig! I've heard about the V4/V8 issue just a little bit, but my truck is older so not really on my radar yet. I've driven a few of the newer rigs, Tahoe and Escalade...both very nice compared to my 04', but at 180k, I may be in the market for one soon. I hope this helps your problem.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Supra Sunsport
everyone should disable AFM because there are a lot of reports that show that is the cause of engine failure on these rigs.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
You can also just leave it in 5th gear and it will not go into 4 cylinder mode.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:02 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
GM....making the 5.3 since the mid 90's and still can't get away from it and still screwing it up with that AFM. When will they learn? That engine is a turd. I'm glad I went with a Ford for my new tow vehicle.

"Hey, here is a sweet $70K Suburban. Now to get it to run for a long time, just buy this $200 warranty-voiding module so the engine doesn't self destruct...and now WE'RE off the hook for any warranty...not that we would cover it anyway."

My recently sold 2000 Suburban 5.3 will probably outlast any 5.3 built after 2007. GM should be ashamed.....
Old 06-04-2019, 12:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
everyone should disable AFM because there are a lot of reports that show that is the cause of engine failure
any documentation on this?
Old 06-04-2019, 01:29 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
any documentation on this?
I don't have documentation, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. And while I was there I used their complimentary WiFi and read this on another forum called 'Grassroots Motorsports':

"If it's under warranty (Which it usually is) then GM tells us technicians what to do. And unless we can provide overwhelming evidence of severe engine damage, we aren't allowed to just toss a whole engine in there. So usually they get a complete set of lifters, a camshaft if the lobe is rounded off, and occasionally the Variable Lifter Oil Manifold

I haven't seen where it is restricted to certain years, it happened all across the GMT-800 platform, even after the 2010 fix that an earlier poster mentioned but I have never heard off. It's honestly not that common on the GMT-800s though. Our dealership sees maybe one a month tops. The pistons/rings/timing chains issue on the GM 2.4L Ecotec is far worse (We see 3-4 a week) and nobody talks about that one.

The new body style 2014+ trucks have more issues with the AFM. They like to break valvesprings. A lot. Like, as low as 5000 miles. And the bearings also tend to fall out of the rocker arms into the engine. And even when the system works, it causes ungodly driveline vibrations when it goes into V4 that customers complain about and GM buys the truck back. And that's normal."

It doesn't take a very long search to realize the AFM causes problems.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 black mastercraft x15 going on 1700 hrs sold! Upgraded to a 2013 mastercraft xstar 👍
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
I don't have documentation, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. And while I was there I used their complimentary WiFi and read this on another forum called 'Grassroots Motorsports':

"If it's under warranty (Which it usually is) then GM tells us technicians what to do. And unless we can provide overwhelming evidence of severe engine damage, we aren't allowed to just toss a whole engine in there. So usually they get a complete set of lifters, a camshaft if the lobe is rounded off, and occasionally the Variable Lifter Oil Manifold

I haven't seen where it is restricted to certain years, it happened all across the GMT-800 platform, even after the 2010 fix that an earlier poster mentioned but I have never heard off. It's honestly not that common on the GMT-800s though. Our dealership sees maybe one a month tops. The pistons/rings/timing chains issue on the GM 2.4L Ecotec is far worse (We see 3-4 a week) and nobody talks about that one.

The new body style 2014+ trucks have more issues with the AFM. They like to break valvesprings. A lot. Like, as low as 5000 miles. And the bearings also tend to fall out of the rocker arms into the engine. And even when the system works, it causes ungodly driveline vibrations when it goes into V4 that customers complain about and GM buys the truck back. And that's normal."

It doesn't take a very long search to realize the AFM causes problems.
Even with my ADD your starting line caught my attention. Going in to this deal engine failure from AFM wasnít my issue although while I read I learned more and more the negative effects of the V4/V8 mode. This AFM Disabler is undetectable by dealer and will not void warranty. Iím interested in seeing how it does.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:04 PM
MC Addict

https://roadmasterengineworld.com/20...8-engines-afm/

Here is another thing I found. Appreciating my decision on getting an Expedition EL more and more.