Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: XT25, 2018, 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunderw View Post
Will it pull the 300?
Okay, you got me, not the 300. Think the most powerful model can tow 10,500 lbs.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X10, 2014, Ilmor 5.7
I have a 2014 Tundra that I bought new after three different Tacoma’s then a 1500 Chevy. I agree that the gas mileage sucks but out of all of my Toyota’s I have never had one in the shop other than maintenance like Oil. When I had my Chevy the engine was solid but the interior like handles, dash etc kept breaking or coming apart. Not only that but three transmissions up to 200k miles not pulling anything over 4K lbs. now my Tundra I pulled my 06 X30 without issues. This is the surprising thing about the mileage is normal around 15ish, when I pull 10-11 and I pulled multiple times from CT to AR to go boating. This weekend I just bought a 14 X10 and pulled it 700 miles behind a 19 Chevy suberban which pulled nice, but gas mileage pulling I didn’t find any better than the Tundra. I didn’t have my foot in it either but fuel efficiency dropped from 22 (very good by itself) to 10-11 pulling. It dropped more than 50% efficiency. Anyway I always wondered how the newer fuel efficient vehicles would stack up to the Tundra when put to pulling some weight. And found no or very little difference.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, maristar, 1995
I will be in the market for a new full size truck to pull my X15. I was leaning towards a Tundra, but I have a couple concerns.

1) Excessive frame flex from the open C channel frame. I've heard reports of people actually getting dents in between the cab and bed of the truck. I'm sure most people have seen this video.

https://youtu.be/1j3PWGRrCZ4

2) Bad gas mileage. I really wish Tundra offered something in-between the 4.6 and 5.7. The 4.6 seems a little underpowered and the 5.7 is a little overkill. The 5.0 (like Ford has) would be ideal.

My wife and I have always (until somewhat recently) owned Toyotas, and the long term reliability has been outstanding. My wife had a Toyota Corolla with over 240,000 miles on it, and the only thing we did was change fluids, brakes, and tires. Ran like a champ when we sold it. Unfortunately we made the mistake of veering away from Toyota and purchased a 2016 Subaru Outback. The were suppose to be very highly rated. However, the vehicle burned oil like crazy, which I heard this was fairly common. We traded the Outback in for a 2011 Honda CRV, and have been very disappointed in this as well. There is a problem with the variable valve timing actuator, and makes an awful sound on startup.

I currently own a 2006 Tacoma with 175,000 miles on it. I have had zero issues with it other than changing a front wheel bearing. The truck still pulls the X15 fairly well, but are looking to upgrade to something bigger for longer trips.

To sum it all up, I'm scared to death about veering from Toyota again.

Any comments about my concerns about the Tundra?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
That video was marketing BS at its best, opinion of a Chevy guy. It was produced by ford and done to make the F150 look the best. They ran the trucks at 17 mph which is a random speed but a speed that made the ford look the best. All chassis need to flex and do so at different harmonic rates. Run that test a few mph faster or slower and the story would have been different.

Tundra is dated and simple, and in the end their owners like it that way. Again, this is the opinion of a life long GM owner.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post

Tundra is dated and simple, and in the end their owners like it that way. Again, this is the opinion of a life long GM owner.
Which is why I'm still driving a 2007 4Runner with 160k on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
Fair warning, Tundra owner here...

But that was a stupid video. No one is driving their truck at that speed over a road like that..

I've had 2 Tacomas and they were truly bulletproof, 0 issues with either, I'm a Toyota truck fan.

I've had a few disappointing issues with my Tundra but not related to frame flex. The powertrain is awesome, smooth, powerful and super reliable. The interior of the Crewmax is huge. It won't have any of the latest tech and it will get crap gas mileage.

If you want the latest tech or to save a few bucks on fuel, the Tundra is not for you. If you want to avoid AFM, lifter failures, broken spark plugs, cam phasers, etc, the Tundra might be your truck. Only you can decide what matters more.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
Fair warning, Tundra owner here...

But that was a stupid video. No one is driving their truck at that speed over a road like that..

I've had 2 Tacomas and they were truly bulletproof, 0 issues with either, I'm a Toyota truck fan.

I've had a few disappointing issues with my Tundra but not related to frame flex. The powertrain is awesome, smooth, powerful and super reliable. The interior of the Crewmax is huge. It won't have any of the latest tech and it will get crap gas mileage.

If you want the latest tech or to save a few bucks on fuel, the Tundra is not for you. If you want to avoid AFM, lifter failures, broken spark plugs, cam phasers, etc, the Tundra might be your truck. Only you can decide what matters more.

Agreed on the total marketing BS, and that video is around 10 years old to boot.

Here’s something that Toyota owners will start to see as they start buying new Toyota’s-

They are not the reliable, bullet proof vehicles that they once were. Toyota can only hold on to that dated reputation for so long, while not being innovative in the slightest. Hell, their two sports cars are rebadged other brands. Atkinson’s cycle engines and transmissions designed to keep the motors out of their power band to conserve fuel is not something I’m ever interested in having or towing with again.

The reliability is their main upsell.... and they’re slowly falling down the list of most reliable vehicles.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2019!!!!!!

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100065

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

It will be interesting to see what Toyota does with the next-gen Tundra. They have to do something to at least catch up. The tech stuff won't be hard, they have most of that stuff in their other vehicles. The big question is can they improve fuel mileage enough to at least compare to the others without resorting to unreliable gimmicks like AFM.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
So how could it be faked? They were all run on the same track at the same speed. So where is the fake????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
That video was marketing BS at its best, opinion of a Chevy guy. It was produced by ford and done to make the F150 look the best. They ran the trucks at 17 mph which is a random speed but a speed that made the ford look the best. All chassis need to flex and do so at different harmonic rates. Run that test a few mph faster or slower and the story would have been different.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Sign, I hesitate to even reply to this...

No one is saying it is fake, we're saying it is an unrealistic scenario that would never occur in real life.

The same as the Chevy aluminum bed commercials. No one is dropping a ton of broken concrete into the bed of their $60k truck from 10' high.