Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X10
New prop for my new (to me) X10

Hey fellas,

Iíve been off this site for a while now since selling my trusty 87í prostar. BUT, I just made a good size purchase for a working man in his 20s. I bought a 2002 X10. Iím excited to get more into surfing and from what I hear with some extra ballast( fatsacs and fat friends) the X10 can be a decent surf boat. However the prop that is on the boat has 2 small dings on the propeller. They arenít major and Iím sure the boat will function decent in its current configuration but just wanted to see what prop I should buy if I opt to do so. Itís got the LTR330 engine, and Iíd like it to do in the low to mid 40s like my prostar would do. What do you guys think would be an appropriate prop?

-Blake
Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkskier153 View Post
Hey fellas,

I’ve been off this site for a while now since selling my trusty 87’ prostar. BUT, I just made a good size purchase for a working man in his 20s. I bought a 2002 X10. I’m excited to get more into surfing and from what I hear with some extra ballast( fatsacs and fat friends) the X10 can be a decent surf boat. However the prop that is on the boat has 2 small dings on the propeller. They aren’t major and I’m sure the boat will function decent in its current configuration but just wanted to see what prop I should buy if I opt to do so. It’s got the LTR330 engine, and I’d like it to do in the low to mid 40s like my prostar would do. What do you guys think would be an appropriate prop?
Fix it...regardless. One ding is one too many.

Send it up to OJ Props in Loudon, TN for repair. Call and ask about a new one, repair is for free.

Also Acme makes a good line of props.

CNC manufactured prop is the ticket from either manufacturer.

Prices can vary for either prop. Shop around. Direct dealings with OJ is a pleasant experience. Call and talk to Eric. He will do you fair and send you your prop repaired free, to boot. Or he can hammer out the dings for a reasonable price.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

So they will fix the current prop for nothing?? That seems like a pretty good deal to me. What prop specifically should I be looking for? Not necessarily a brand but a size and pitch

-Blake
Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X35 6.0 Ilmor
https://www.mastercraft.com/manuals

Check the manual for proper size. Also agree Eric from OJ is very helpful
Old 01-17-2019, 03:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
So they will fix the current prop for nothing?? That seems like a pretty good deal to me. What prop specifically should I be looking for? Not necessarily a brand but a size and pitch
They will likely only fix the current prop for free if you purchase a new one from them. It's nice to have a good spare prop.

My best advice to you is not to ask people on here what the best prop for your boat is, but rather to call OJ or ACME reps and ask them how they would prop the boat. The reason I say this is because they will ask your boat engine and different things to know how to correctly prop your boat.

I was on this path a few years ago with my 2000 X-star and I got options from both Acme and OJ. I ended up going with ACME because someone had a brand new open box one on ebay for 1/2 the price.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
They will likely only fix the current prop for free if you purchase a new one from them. It's nice to have a good spare prop.

My best advice to you is not to ask people on here what the best prop for your boat is, but rather to call OJ or ACME reps and ask them how they would prop the boat. The reason I say this is because they will ask your boat engine and different things to know how to correctly prop your boat.

I was on this path a few years ago with my 2000 X-star and I got options from both Acme and OJ. I ended up going with ACME because someone had a brand new open box one on ebay for 1/2 the price.
I understand. Iíll see what the folks at ACME recommend. Iíd love to find a deal on a prop like you did but my luck never seems to work like that

-Blake
Old 01-20-2019, 06:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, '05 X10 (sold) & '11 X25
Quote:
Hey fellas,

Iíve been off this site for a while now since selling my trusty 87í prostar. BUT, I just made a good size purchase for a working man in his 20s. I bought a 2002 X10. Iím excited to get more into surfing and from what I hear with some extra ballast( fatsacs and fat friends) the X10 can be a decent surf boat. However the prop that is on the boat has 2 small dings on the propeller. They arenít major and Iím sure the boat will function decent in its current configuration but just wanted to see what prop I should buy if I opt to do so. Itís got the LTR330 engine, and Iíd like it to do in the low to mid 40s like my prostar would do. What do you guys think would be an appropriate prop?

Congrats on the 2002 X10. Our 2005 X10 was a lifesaver for my family. I was also coming from a ProStar. I think you will find low speed, heavily weighted hole shots and 40+ mph top speed are mutually exclusive.

And quite honestly, I would not have wanted to go 40 mph in my X10. I loved the boat but precise handling is not how I would ever describe that hull.

I installed an acme prop that was biased towards surfing and never felt like I was missing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 08:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Quote:
Hey fellas,

I think you bought the wrong boat if your looking for mid 40ís. If you plan on surfing a lot you will want to get a lower pitched prop for better hole shot but it will also mean decreased top end speeds. If you have too small dings on your prop get a hammer and tap them out. I do my own prop repair and this is a great video how to DIY a slightly damaged prop.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nBUWBA_llfs