Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 11-30-2018, 06:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X2
Mcx drain hoses

Decided to drain my block this year and first pulled the J hose and drained major amount of water. Then, pulled the lower hose close to impeller and got a little more water but the 2 hoses connecting the manifold had just a tiny amount of water if any. I then filled the J hose to the top with rv antifreeze which was maybe gallon and a half. Does this sound sufficient? I assume I got most of the water out of the block and the water left is mixed with my anti freeze so should be safe? Thanks
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
You need to pull the block drains at the knock sensors. And blow out the heater lines, if you have a heater.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Will the AF i poured in mix with the water at the drain plug area? I looked but could not see the drain plug on the starboard side of engine.
1996 Bayliner 2050
Old 11-30-2018, 09:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstan View Post
Will the AF i poured in mix with the water at the drain plug area? I looked but could not see the drain plug on the starboard side of engine.
I wouldn’t count on diluted RV antifreeze to prevent freezing. Both block drains are exactly opposite each other.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
Your starboard block drain may also be connected to your shower if you have one. You will have to blow out the shower hoses too.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Physics question. If by using the method to fill the block “pour AF thru the J hose till hose is full” will this not mix with the lake water that i was not able to drain? I could not get at the drain plugs above oil pan. Also, if i were to get at the drain plug and drain would it drain the water and AF? I am not in a bitter cold climate and boat is stored in a non heated metal boat storage building so i am not looking to protect my boat in 0 degree temps. 15 degrees is as cold as i have seen it here during a weird winter few yrs ago.
1996 Bayliner 2050

Last edited by davidstan; 12-01-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:22 AM

Boat: XT22
I don't know if the AF will mix with the fresh water well enough to prevent freezing. But it should take almost 3 gallons of AF, FWIW. Why not just pull the 2 knock sensors and drain it properly? It'd take about 5 minutes.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Agreed. Pull both knock sensors and the hose that connects the manifolds. I also pull the hose that goes into the trans cooler to be safe. Feel free to add antifreeze after but I would remove all water first.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX - Sold!
The tried and true way as pointed out to drain all water first. IMO adding antifreeze afterwards is just an added step where you filling up the cavity so to reduce the oxidation/rust. It also guarantees any little pool of water what would have been left in some recess or something doesn't freeze. Again overkill because there should not be enough of anything to freeze to cause damage. Again, the antifreeze, if you drain your boat, is just an extra guarantee.

I believe if you want to do it the way you are talking, you need to pull the thermostat so that the antifreeze travels everywhere. I don't remember if filling through the j-hose effectively achieves that or not; I think it very well may but I can't say for certain so don't count on my knowledge here.

But as pointed out. The drain plugs, which your knock sensors should be attached to are pretty easy to pull.

To Shaun R's point I pretty much went through every hose and pulled them the first time I did mine. I found water in a few other places. One in particular you have hoses running to the cats, bottom side I believe. You need to pull those and drain. There are a couple hoses running along the top that your notice have a low spot at a 90 degree bend - lift to drain. I found that by pulling every possible place there could be water the first time I winterized.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
---
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
Old 12-01-2018, 06:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks. Found the starboard side plug with a bum shoulder and drained it. Many of the hoses had nothing so i should be good.
1996 Bayliner 2050