Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
Any Philmont Alumni?

I didn't grow up Scouting primarily because I grew up on a farm with no cable or neighbors, so I rode moto and shot lots of guns. My oldest son is 14 and just shy of Eagle. He and I are doing an 11 day strenuous at Philmont. Still waiting on our final assignment. It will probably be in the South. Due to the fires last year, there are no treks going to all three peaks or North to South. He's already conditioning for Spring soccer, so I'm not worried about him. We've done multiple 10+ mile hikes at altitude in Montana and Wyoming. I need to get in a little better shape so I'm running every week day morning. We will do some shakedown hikes with full gear over the next several months. Any suggestions on what you would leave out of your pack, things you forgot, essential items, water purification preference (filter v. pen v. tablets), bag rating (mid-June), etc? Also, those items that are "Philmont provided" that we should just take ourselves. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Johnson View Post
I didn't grow up Scouting primarily because I grew up on a farm with no cable or neighbors, so I rode moto and shot lots of guns. My oldest son is 14 and just shy of Eagle. He and I are doing an 11 day strenuous at Philmont. Still waiting on our final assignment. It will probably be in the South. Due to the fires last year, there are no treks going to all three peaks or North to South. He's already conditioning for Spring soccer, so I'm not worried about him. We've done multiple 10+ mile hikes at altitude in Montana and Wyoming. I need to get in a little better shape so I'm running every week day morning. We will do some shakedown hikes with full gear over the next several months. Any suggestions on what you would leave out of your pack, things you forgot, essential items, water purification preference (filter v. pen v. tablets), bag rating (mid-June), etc? Also, those items that are "Philmont provided" that we should just take ourselves. Thanks!
Wow, 14 and just shy of Eagle is quick. I finished mine up at 17 lol . I didn't hit Philmont during my time in scouting, but during our High Adventure trips I found using a filter and then UV pen to be my favorite water purification process. As for the other stuff, I'll let others chime in. Have fun!

P.S. Socks are always the best thing to over pack in my experience
2015 Ohio State Engineering, Back2Back B1G Champions
---------------------------------------
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 X-star
I was never able to make it out there but I hope to someday. I wish I had advice for you, but just haven't been there.

14 and almost eagle shows some great initiative from your son. You should be proud. It's a great accomplishment for a young man if he can get there. I ended up getting mine at 15 because we were moving and I felt it might have been a bit more difficult to get the service project done in a city where I had no connections.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
Both very impressive. He wants to knock it out within 8 to 10 months before the fumes get him (perfumes and gas fumes). Surf fumes are bad enough. Perfumes hit him like a ton a bricks when he figured out boobs are cooler than Legos.
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Johnson View Post
Both very impressive. He wants to knock it out within 8 to 10 months before the fumes get him (perfumes and gas fumes). Surf fumes are bad enough. Perfumes hit him like a ton a bricks when he figured out boobs are cooler than Legos.
As a Scoutmaster I'm surprised I haven't heard that term before. I'll have to share that one, thanks.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Eagle Scout here, I opted to do the Northern Tier High Adventure and was lucky enough to make it to the Jamboree in 2013, which was also the grand opening of the Bechtel Summit Reserve. Everyone that went to Philmont said it was a blast. I've no advice for you but enjoy it, some of my best memories with my dad were in scouts.

2017 Nissan Maxima SL

Lonestar Masterbash
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=85369

Texas A&M '21