PDA

View Full Version : Enough about Ceramic Coating the hull...

agarabaghi
10-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Lets talk about coating the vinyl to protect it from stains and dye transfers.

As we all know Hulls are not only easy to clean, but also easy to restore if things go south. Vinyl on the other hand is always the biggest issue for old and new boats it seems.

Bugs, Bird droppings, cheetos, ink, dye transfer can all cause headaches!

haha doesn't this sound like an ad?

Anyway i got my 2019 not mastercraft 22 and decided since the seats were in perfect condition, i would try some leather coatings that are widely used in the automotive world.

For my vehicles and boats i used Gyeon products (Primer, Prep, CanCoat) so i wanted to try their leather sealants. I contact Gyeon and ask what they recommended. They suggest to use LeatherCoat over LeatherShield.

LeatherCoat is more like a 303 in that it is white liquid, but said to last 3 months with 1 hour of curing time.

LeatherSeal is a semi-permanent coating for leather, but Gyeon was unsure if it would bond to boat vinyl.

I also looked at CarPro Leather sealant and it specifically says vinyl.

I used Gyeon Leather Cleaner to remove any dirt / residue on the vinyl, then applied both products on 2 separate cushions.

Here are the results:

CarPro leather sealant:
https://i.imgur.com/jsr5FV7h.jpg

Gyeon LeatherCoat:
https://i.imgur.com/M7TDK0Gh.jpg

Pretty obvious what happened there, CarPro Like Gyeon suggested about their LeatherShield product did not bond with the vinyl and there was i believe will not protect it.

Gyeon on the other hand ... look at those beads! It has created a clear layer between the vinyl and whatever contaminants my come in contact with my seats! This should make clean up very easy.

MC25
10-22-2018, 09:28 AM
That’s pretty sweet. Wonder how it would do on the coolfeel.

agarabaghi
10-22-2018, 09:40 AM
should work the same on all vinyls

CottagerGreg
10-22-2018, 10:21 AM
I tested a ceramic product on a sample of coolfeel and it changed the sheen from matte to a satin finish. I decided not to do my interior due to this.

JimN
10-22-2018, 10:34 AM
It shouldn't need to be said, but vinyl IS NOT leather and leather protectants shouldn't be used on vinyl. Remember the crappy vinyl from 2003? It was caused by the EPA not allowing enough time for testing new products when they mandated changes in formulation. PVC is able to damage other materials and it's possible to damage PVC with various chemicals. If it doesn't mention that it's safe for vinyl, ask and if they don't know, don't use it. It would suck to see that it looks good for a while after using it and a few months of UV exposure causes the vinyl to break down.

hunter991
10-22-2018, 11:58 AM
It shouldn't need to be said, but vinyl IS NOT leather and leather protectants shouldn't be used on vinyl. Remember the crappy vinyl from 2003? It was caused by the EPA not allowing enough time for testing new products when they mandated changes in formulation. PVC is able to damage other materials and it's possible to damage PVC with various chemicals. If it doesn't mention that it's safe for vinyl, ask and if they don't know, don't use it. It would suck to see that it looks good for a while after using it and a few months of UV exposure causes the vinyl to break down.

i would agree with this.. if it ain't for vinyl, i wouldn't use it either.

Mastercraftdave
10-22-2018, 12:06 PM
I get very similar beading by using Boat Bling Vinyl sauce and 303. This stuff conditions the vinyl to prevent it from drying out.

I'd be curious to see how ceramic coatings affect the material long term.

agarabaghi
10-22-2018, 01:24 PM

Both products I used are said to work on vinyl as mentioned in my post. Gyeon said their LeatherShield would not bond to vinyl, i did not try that product.

agarabaghi
10-22-2018, 01:25 PM
I get very similar beading by using Boat Bling Vinyl sauce and 303. This stuff conditions the vinyl to prevent it from drying out.

http://gyeonquartz.com/product/leathercoat/

This should last longer than 303!

TStine
10-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Does it make the vinyl slippery AF?

Buddywig
10-22-2018, 09:38 PM
I just bought an xt22 and the dealer offers a protectant to go on the upholstery along with a guarantee to clean any stains rips, etc or replace the cushion for 5 years. Base price is about 1,700, but I think we can negotiate.

Has anyone done this? Up i am thinking it may be worth it to get any stains cleaned or replaced and make sure it looks new after 5 years.

hyman989
10-22-2018, 09:44 PM
I just bought an xt22 and the dealer offers a protectant to go on the upholstery along with a guarantee to clean any stains rips, etc or replace the cushion for 5 years. Base price is about 1,700, but I think we can negotiate.

Has anyone done this? Up i am thinking it may be worth it to get any stains cleaned or replaced and make sure it looks new after 5 years.Is there a prorate fee towards the end of the offer? Or a decuable for it? Think to replace a whole set is way more then $1700

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Buddywig
10-23-2018, 12:15 AM
Illl have to look closer. Also includes the transom protected for boards by the swim platform.

Thrall
10-23-2018, 12:38 AM

Has anyone done this? Up i am thinking it may be worth it to get any stains cleaned or replaced and make sure it looks new after 5 years.

Ha. How bad do you plan on messing up your interior in the next 5 years?
Bet ya $100 they donít do more than $1700 in vinyl repair on your boat, for only $1700....

JohnE
10-23-2018, 09:06 AM
Interestingly, MC doesn't recommend any protectant for their cool feel vinyl, afaik.

CottagerGreg
10-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Interestingly, MC doesn't recommend any protectant for their cool feel vinyl, afaik.

yup... not your typical vinyl

JimN
10-23-2018, 09:48 AM

I think the people selling these products need to learn to convey their ideas better and deal with facts. Vinyl isn't wet, or moist- it doesn't "dry out", it becomes brittle from exposure to UV and other chemicals. Its chemical makeup affects some materials and can be affected by others.

SS LS1
10-23-2018, 01:22 PM
I think the people selling these products need to learn to convey their ideas better and deal with facts. Vinyl isn't wet, or moist- it doesn't "dry out", it becomes brittle from exposure to UV and other chemicals. Its chemical makeup affects some materials and can be affected by others.

Exactly, well put!

Tookeymonster
10-27-2018, 03:04 AM
***!!!! Who allows Cheetos on the boat!!! LMAO but for real...