PDA

View Full Version : Gatorstep/Seadek or snap in carpet?

hunter991
10-03-2018, 02:45 PM
The boat search continues, and have found boats with both snap in carpet and seadek/gatorstep.

Although the gaterstep looks really cool, and feels good is it worth the upgrade in price? seems like it may get dirty and be hard to clean.

on the other hand, i have snap in carpet on my X2 and its kind of a PITA to clean under it unless you remove it and scrub the floor. Dirt and grime, pine needles etc... love to find their way under it.

your opinions?

CrashCourse316
10-03-2018, 02:53 PM
I have Snap in that is very worn underneath and leave black particles everywhere. stuff gets under it, 3 snaps are missing on the carpet, and 2 snaps are missing off the boat which happen to be at spots the carpet has a snap so. Ill be Seadeking or gatorstepping next season if I have the cash. If my carpet was in good condition like my '03 four winns i previously had i would just keep the carpet. But I personally think the upgrade from the carpet to a seadek or gatorstep that is a good color and design is probably the best "useful" upgrade to do. Especially if you end up with one of the color combos that just make the interior look amazing.

Mastercraftdave
10-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Look into deckadence flooring. Its the best of both worlds IMO.

Its very plush and comfortable on the feet while still being able to be removed like carpet so you can clean the boat. It doesn't require snaps to hold it down and does a really goo job of draining water.

CrashCourse316
10-03-2018, 03:45 PM
^^^^ decadence is pretty cool too. I'm going to look at that as well since I forgot about it. next season I'm hoping to have a few grand extra so I can make a few upgrades.

rgardjr1
10-03-2018, 03:51 PM
The boat search continues, and have found boats with both snap in carpet and seadek/gatorstep.

Although the gaterstep looks really cool, and feels good is it worth the upgrade in price? seems like it may get dirty and be hard to clean.

on the other hand, i have snap in carpet on my X2 and its kind of a PITA to clean under it unless you remove it and scrub the floor. Dirt and grime, pine needles etc... love to find their way under it.

your opinions?

I put in Seadeck after dealing with carpet for 9 years. I replaced the carpet twice because it always became matted, felt terrible and looked bad. We have nice sandy beaches at the lake so I end up with a lot of sand in the boat. With the new Seadeck the sand is pretty easy to deal with. I have a cordless vac that sucks it up in a few minutes. I have the lighter gray color and it does end up looking dirty. I scrubbed it with soap and water at the end of the season and it ended up looking almost brand new. There are a couple of spots that still look dirty that I'm going to hit with a degreaser next spring to see if I can make them disappear. I think the looks and comfort of EVA foam decking will be worth the cost if they last a while. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on my custom design so if I don't get 8-10 years I'll be disappointed. We have a pretty short season around my neck of the woods so I'm only putting on around 50 hour/year.

Upnorth07
10-03-2018, 06:16 PM
And, carpet STINKS when wet.

I'm switching to Gatorstep in the spring and ditching my factory carpet (which is in great shape BTW).

jasonba1
10-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Gatorstep for sure

swoardrider
10-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Im not a huge fan of my Decadence. It gets hot as f**k to the point of having to wear sandals in the boat. It’s a great idea if it just wouldn’t get so hot.

JamesL
10-04-2018, 03:08 PM
love my gatorstep

maniacmikes
10-04-2018, 04:07 PM
I put in Seadeck after dealing with carpet for 9 years. I replaced the carpet twice because it always became matted, felt terrible and looked bad. We have nice sandy beaches at the lake so I end up with a lot of sand in the boat. With the new Seadeck the sand is pretty easy to deal with. I have a cordless vac that sucks it up in a few minutes. I have the lighter gray color and it does end up looking dirty. I scrubbed it with soap and water at the end of the season and it ended up looking almost brand new. There are a couple of spots that still look dirty that I'm going to hit with a degreaser next spring to see if I can make them disappear. I think the looks and comfort of EVA foam decking will be worth the cost if they last a while. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on my custom design so if I don't get 8-10 years I'll be disappointed. We have a pretty short season around my neck of the woods so I'm only putting on around 50 hour/year.

I have seadeck on the walkthrough transom and gunnels... after I did a boat project it was all greasy and stained... I took the pressure washer to it and it looks as good as new - took all the stains out.

danwell
10-10-2018, 04:12 AM
I prefer the ease of cleaning my boat so I went with deckadence.

ttu
10-10-2018, 10:41 AM
while it's only been a couple of months since I installed Gatorstep so far I love it. Much nicer than carpet and really updated my 11 year old x2

tkvaale
10-10-2018, 12:23 PM
We love our GatorStep. 10 times better than our old carpet. I just keep a small gallon size shop vac in our boat and give it a once over at the start of every weekend and it looks great. If you do get any sort of spill, most things come out with just a soft bristle brush and water. We did have one drink spill and sit there for a week and stain it before we cleaned it up, so we used soap and water and it came right out. I think one great test was our second weekend with GatorStep, our dog dropped a large deuce in the middle of the biggest piece of the floor. Picked it up, rinsed the floor, came back with a little soap and water, good as new in 5 minutes. It would not have come that clean with carpet and certainly would have taken much longer. Also, the floor does not get that hot as other people were saying other products do. We love it, very easy to clean, easy to install with 2 people, makes our boat look much newer, would recommend to anyone. Good Luck

moosehead
10-10-2018, 12:33 PM
^DeuceArmor