PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on 19mph wakeboarding

maniacmikes
10-01-2018, 03:08 PM
so, I am getting old, and I am battling a back injury. I love to wakeboard, but the only way I can stay healthy is to slow the boat down, shorten the rope and just go out and have fun.

The last two seasons I have gone injury free at 19mph and it has rekindled my love of the sport.

Just because I ride slow, doesn't mean I don't want to get flung in the air as much as possible, and I just don't have a lot of experience wake boarding different boats at that speed.

Does anyone have experience with wakeboarding at 19mph behind a few different boats? I have only ridden behind my X30, the XT22, XT23, and a Supra SL.

out of those, I would say I like the XT22 the most - you could fill all ballast to 60% and still get a clean wake on both sides, so it was massive and super fun to ride.

XT23 I liked the least, it was similar to my X30, but even more mellow.

Thoughts? Right now I am very interested in the new X-star. I know if will clean up down low, but not sure how poppy it is.

Dan2060
10-01-2018, 03:51 PM
so, I am getting old, and I am battling a back injury. I love to wakeboard, but the only way I can stay healthy is to slow the boat down, shorten the rope and just go out and have fun.

The last two seasons I have gone injury free at 19mph and it has rekindled my love of the sport.

Just because I ride slow, doesn't mean I don't want to get flung in the air as much as possible, and I just don't have a lot of experience wake boarding different boats at that speed.

Does anyone have experience with wakeboarding at 19mph behind a few different boats? I have only ridden behind my X30, the XT22, XT23, and a Supra SL.

out of those, I would say I like the XT22 the most - you could fill all ballast to 60% and still get a clean wake on both sides, so it was massive and super fun to ride.

XT23 I liked the least, it was similar to my X30, but even more mellow.

Thoughts? Right now I am very interested in the new X-star. I know if will clean up down low, but not sure how poppy it is.I'm telling you, you will love the new star! I just came off the last generation (2013)and it was horrible about making wakes at a slow speed. This new X star will make speeds anywhere from 17.5mph on up. We can also change the ballast settings and make an awesome wake. It's so adjustable, so friendly, and has a super long transition. There have been times that I thought I was landing too far out in the flats and would let go of the rope because I didn't want the jarring effect on my back and knees. Come to find out, I was still in the nice downhill section of the ramp. Surf wave is equally as fun. I have owned five different boats and this is the best by far!
We ride the intermediate setting all the time (approx 21 with 50 ballast and have a blast! I've ridden it at 19 all the time and it is fun)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

moosehead
10-01-2018, 03:52 PM
I am no help to your WB questions, but without doubt, you should get the Xstar.

Shaun R
10-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Try and ride one of the Slingshot Nomad boards. Larger surface area keeps you from sinking at slower speeds and nice soft landings.

maniacmikes
10-01-2018, 04:20 PM
Try and ride one of the Slingshot Nomad boards. Larger surface area keeps you from sinking at slower speeds and nice soft landings.

I will see if I can get my hands on one - I got a Ronix Camber board and really, really enjoy that at slow speeds... but I would love to try something new. Thats one of the problems today - too many choices and hard to get your hands on them to ride.

maniacmikes
10-01-2018, 04:21 PM
I am no help to your WB questions, but without doubt, you should get the Xstar.

Thanks Moose, I value your opinion, so if you vote Xstar, I will chalk that up in the "Pros" column.

moosehead
10-01-2018, 04:25 PM
^Love this boat. Gotta believe it would appeal to your WB objectives.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=98797

zamboniman
10-01-2018, 04:46 PM
We ride our X2 at 18 something all the time. Not sure of actual as I've never cross checked it with GPS, but that's what the vdig says. Buddy likes it a smidge faster in the 19s. Anything more feels too fast, but we are OLD. Heck the ladies like it more like 15ish..

I say ride whatever feels comfortable.. I certainly wouldn't ride where someone else thinks I should be riding. End of the day it's my body that needs to get up and make it to work in the morning.

zamboniman
10-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Take this one step further.. something we were dabbling with a couple seasons back. Riding wake boards at or slightly above surf speeds, on the longer side of a surf rope with the boat setup to surf. Yes if not careful you'd sink or catch a boot and drag you under. But it was extremely fun and the water was extremely SOFT. Basically you could take a run at the surf wave and try inverts etc.. It would boot you. Or just drag you under.

google wake scootering.

JohnStockman
10-01-2018, 10:22 PM
I have never seen that. It looks like a ton of fun. I am going to have to try that. Always enjoy seeing Harley and some of the others surf with their wakeboards. Have never tried that either! More ways to have sun behind the boat and great for kids too!

osmonet
10-01-2018, 11:11 PM
Thoughts? Right now I am very interested in the new X-star. I know if will clean up down low, but not sure how poppy it is.

IMO, new Xstar all the way......Take a look at the photos and write up posted from earlier this year.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=83769

maniacmikes
10-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Thanks. I have read all the posts and watched all the videos...most of them comment on how the wake is clean down to 17mph, but nothing specific on anyone riding them at that speed.

I have been in the Xstar and witnessed a super clean wake at 17mph, I know it will do that. Unfortunately both times I have been in the new star we have only surfed it and I have not seen anyone wakeboard it in person.

Obviously I will demo it, but the weather turned here and I don't know if I will get the opportunity to do it anytime soon...so for now, just winter dreaming I guess.

zamboniman
10-05-2018, 01:21 PM
My opinion is that slower wakes can certainly be rideable and fun despite discussions that may point otherwise. They do feel different however clean or not. The firmness will change even when clean. So looks and reality may differ. In the case of my X2, it will put out a nice clean wake at slow speeds but it doesn't have the same feel as when faster. With some it may be acceptable others not so much. Bottom line though it's all personal preference of what works for you. Best thing you can do is get out there and actually try them all behind the boat at all different speeds. What works for you may not work for others.

I do think a lot of folks ride faster than they should or beyond their abilities because they read somewhere they should be riding at "X" speed. Unfortunately, that probably leads to unnecessary injuries. Ride wherever you are comfortable at.

501s
10-05-2018, 01:31 PM
I find our X30 makes a great slow speed wake. We can get it clean at 19mph, but it will be wide. The one thing is if you want it poppy, try adding some rear ballast (%50), but no front ballast.

maniacmikes
10-05-2018, 01:51 PM
I find our X30 makes a great slow speed wake. We can get it clean at 19mph, but it will be wide. The one thing is if you want it poppy, try adding some rear ballast (%50), but no front ballast.

I agree... I actually rode all last year with about 50% ballast in the rear and 100% full in the front and was not happy with it, but I didn't experiment with it like I should have, I just figured more ballast in front would keep it clean and maximize the amount of weight and therefore size.

However, this year, I went with 0% in the front, 40ish% in the rear (I also have lead in the boat) and the wake is much more poppy with a nicer shape. Actually pretty impressive that we can run about 1500 pounds of ballast and still get a nice clean wake at 19mph.

No doubt it is a good boat and the bar is set high. Honestly for my skill set, this boat/setup gives me more than enough air to do anything I want...but if I can find a boat with a little better wave and wake??? why not.

attached is a pic at 19mph with about 1500 pounds of ballast and two people on board.

Dan2060
10-05-2018, 02:04 PM
I agree... I actually rode all last year with about 50% ballast in the rear and 100% full in the front and was not happy with it, but I didn't experiment with it like I should have, I just figured more ballast in front would keep it clean and maximize the amount of weight and therefore size.

However, this year, I went with 0% in the front, 40ish% in the rear (I also have lead in the boat) and the wake is much more poppy with a nicer shape. Actually pretty impressive that we can run about 1500 pounds of ballast and still get a nice clean wake at 19mph.

No doubt it is a good boat and the bar is set high. Honestly for my skill set, this boat/setup gives me more than enough air to do anything I want...but if I can find a boat with a little better wave and wake??? why not.

attached is a pic at 19mph with about 1500 pounds of ballast and two people on board.May have missed it, but what boat are your riding now? Same boat as in the picture?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

maniacmikes
10-05-2018, 06:08 PM
2014 X30, which is the same one in the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk