PDA

View Full Version : New Malibu Feature

Morety
09-29-2018, 09:16 PM
Iím not normally one to want other brandsí new features, and obviously know Mastercraft is superior, but love that the new Malibu just released has three wireless phone charging locations. Eliminates the need for USB cables (which donít always work) and the anxiety of having your phone die on the boat. Personally think itís a great idea.

chieb
09-29-2018, 09:32 PM
Good to hear this feature is showing up on boats. It sure is convenient, and these Mophie bases are reasonably priced $30-40 so wonít break the bank for MC to sneak them into the interior in a few places.

http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless/wireless-charging-base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MC25
09-29-2018, 09:37 PM
Pretty cool. Wouldn’t use it, never used the wireless charger in my Tacoma though so don’t know if I’d pay the up charge for one

FourFourty
09-29-2018, 09:47 PM
Cool feature but I tried it out, and it didn’t work with my case on........ don’t most people have cases?

Although most of them don’t work in new cars with cases on either....

TheLivinIsEasy
09-29-2018, 10:44 PM
Wireless chargers are usually pretty slow as well. I bought a couple when they first came out (for home and office), and I never use them. I prefer 10 foot cords. Another downside is every time you want to use your phone, you are disconnecting and then reconnecting the charge, which is bad for the battery.

Poorhouse
09-29-2018, 11:40 PM
and the anxiety of having your phone die on the boat.

Anxiety, or something to look forward too?

Miss Rita
09-30-2018, 11:22 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes I need a functioning phone on the boat. Simpler is better.

Two months ago I added a 12v outlet ($6) and got a USB adaptor ($2).

Two weeks ago my engine died (different thread), I was not close to anything or anybody, and I was being blown further away. I dropped anchor, and started calling everyone I knew. The one comfort I had was that I had a functioning charger. If my phone had died I would have been in a very bad way.

WakeRider107
09-30-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm not sold on wireless chargers. I would much rather have a good case on my phone to protect that investment than have slightly more convenient charging. Plus, as much as I wish I didn't, I use my phone a lot on the boat - changing music, video of riders, call/text, snapchat - it would rarely sit in the charging spot long enough to make it worthwhile.
I'll still continue to use my 10' USB and get better audio than BT.
Now for passengers, sure maybe its a decent option for them to use, but it still comes back to the case issue.

lashburn1
09-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Never tried the Wireless charger.
Did not realize the cover had to be off.
Bummer

lees23
09-30-2018, 06:20 PM
A lot of cases are wireless charging compatable.

I think it’s slick that one the charging bases is on the dash behind the phone mount. Wireless chargers are typically very slow for Apple phones(phone limits wireless charging to 5w).

Shaun R
09-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Never tried the Wireless charger.
Did not realize the cover had to be off.
Bummer

I charge my iPhone every night on a cheap amazon charger and never once taken my case off. One of the larger, rubber/plastic double cases as well as never had an issue.

FourFourty
09-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Ya, some work and some don’t.

Seems it’s the 12v ones for cars/trucks etc that don’t work well with phone cases.

LDA6339
10-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Wireless chargers are usually pretty slow as well. I bought a couple when they first came out (for home and office), and I never use them. I prefer 10 foot cords. Another downside is every time you want to use your phone, you are disconnecting and then reconnecting the charge, which is bad for the battery.

The best part about the wireless chargers is that they don't break like cords do. They definitely charge slower but overnight that doesn't matter, and if I'm using one during the day its at least acting as a maintainer so I'm not losing percentage. Also on the batteries going in phones nowadays they don't mind being plugged in and unplugged. The phone itself will be obsolete before the battery gives up because of that.

Ya, some work and some donít.

Seems itís the 12v ones for cars/trucks etc that donít work well with phone cases.

I have an iPhone X with an Otterbox Defender Series case on it (a pretty rugged case) and its worked on every charger I've put it on. I have to line it up on some to get it just right, but I can get it to work. And after doing it 2-3 times I know exactly how to set it down to get it to charge.

TheLivinIsEasy
10-02-2018, 02:04 PM
The best part about the wireless chargers is that they don't break like cords do. They definitely charge slower but overnight that doesn't matter, and if I'm using one during the day its at least acting as a maintainer so I'm not losing percentage. Also on the batteries going in phones nowadays they don't mind being plugged in and unplugged. The phone itself will be obsolete before the battery gives up because of that.

I can honestly say that I have never had a phone cord break, at least not in the last ten years or more. Maybe one of those old car chargers when phones had their own specific charging ports back in the day. I agree that the battery won't likely completely die, but they get noticeably worse over time, and that has to do with charging. My last phone (GS6) could only hold a charge for a few hours at the end of its life. My current phone (GS8+) has lost multiple hours of performance in the last year and a half or so. All of this is basically a non-issue for me because mine will last a day of playing music on the water as long as it is charged beforehand. That said, if I am going to charge it on the water, I would rather get a boost quickly and be done for the rest of the day. To each his own, I guess.

Mastercraftdave
10-02-2018, 02:52 PM
How do you even use the wireless charging on an Iphone7. My truck has it but it doesn't work on many phones.

MC25
10-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I can honestly say that I have never had a phone cord break, at least not in the last ten years or more. Maybe one of those old car chargers when phones had their own specific charging ports back in the day. I agree that the battery won't likely completely die, but they get noticeably worse over time, and that has to do with charging. My last phone (GS6) could only hold a charge for a few hours at the end of its life. My current phone (GS8+) has lost multiple hours of performance in the last year and a half or so. All of this is basically a non-issue for me because mine will last a day of playing music on the water as long as it is charged beforehand. That said, if I am going to charge it on the water, I would rather get a boost quickly and be done for the rest of the day. To each his own, I guess.

Apple cords are trash, mine break all the time lol

dmbeck
10-02-2018, 02:59 PM
I bought a couple wireless chargers when I got my iphone 8. I ended up going right back to a cord, wireless was slow and I'm constantly using my phone so every time I picked it up it quit charging and then it wouldn't let it reconnect within 5 minutes or something stupid like that.

Now if you really want to make a good improvement on phone interface then they need to add apple car play. I have that in my new silverado and I connect my phone to a cord and never pick it up again until I get out of the truck. It almost make bluetooth obsolete to me.

TheLivinIsEasy
10-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Apple cords are trash, mine break all the time lolHaha, well, I can't speak to Apple. None of my cords are the ones that come with the phone anyway (those are too short). I use 6 or 10 foot braided cords by Anker and they have always held up really well and are cheap. I technically have one braided Apple lightning charge cord so my guests can use it, and it hasn't had any issues in the 2.5 years I have had it, but it doesn't get regular use.

LDA6339
10-02-2018, 04:17 PM
I agree that the battery won't likely completely die, but they get noticeably worse over time, and that has to do with charging. My last phone (GS6) could only hold a charge for a few hours at the end of its life. My current phone (GS8+) has lost multiple hours of performance in the last year and a half or so.

I didn't say that batteries wont lose strength overtime, they obviously will. I was simply stating someone who runs their phone all the way down then charges it all the way back up again each and everyday will not see much of a difference in long term battery life over someone who runs it part of the way down, charges part back up, etc. The lives of these phones both from a device and a battery standpoint are just to short and the design to good for that stuff to matter.

WakeRider107
10-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Apple cords are trash, mine break all the time lol

Are you using apple brand cords or the knock offs? I've used Apple for 10 years and have yet to break a cord and I don't feel like I baby them either

MC25
10-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Are you using apple brand cords or the knock offs? I've used Apple for 10 years and have yet to break a cord and I don't feel like I baby them either

Apple brand. I get the new one every year and I feel like they shred after 3 months.

TheLivinIsEasy
10-02-2018, 05:07 PM
I didn't say that batteries wont lose strength overtime, they obviously will. I was simply stating someone who runs their phone all the way down then charges it all the way back up again each and everyday will not see much of a difference in long term battery life over someone who runs it part of the way down, charges part back up, etc. The lives of these phones both from a device and a battery standpoint are just to short and the design to good for that stuff to matter.Right, but if you put it on a wireless charger and pick it up many times throughout the day, you are contributing to the decrease in capacity more rapidly than charging it once. That is all I am saying. I honestly don't care if MC adds this perk. If they do, it wouldn't help or hurt me. I just wouldn't use it. Re: device life, I think were are getting to a point where the device life should be longer than in years past. Each new phone is less and less ground-breaking. I have been an upgrade every two years kind of guy, but if I hit two years tomorrow, I wouldn't upgrade. $900+ for a slightly better camera isn't worth it. Some people will obviously keep updating because they want the latest and greatest, but I'd rather save the money for another year or two unless something interesting is developed.

mzimme
10-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Malibu also just won the IBEX innovation award for safety with a front facing docking camera.

https://www.malibuboats.com/news/2018-news/dockingtrailer-camera-recognized-for-innovation

MC25
10-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Malibu also just won the IBEX innovation award for safety with a front facing docking camera.

https://www.malibuboats.com/news/2018-news/dockingtrailer-camera-recognized-for-innovation

This I like!

agarabaghi
10-03-2018, 11:56 AM
there are many cases on the market that allow wireless charging.

agarabaghi
10-03-2018, 11:56 AM
The new 25lsv also has some seat configuration thing that allows 8 positions i believe 1 being a table.

there is also a drop down swim step built into the platform

agarabaghi
10-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Apple brand. I get the new one every year and I feel like they shred after 3 months.

agree my always rip at the connection point before the part that goes into the phone

dmbeck
10-03-2018, 12:09 PM
The new 25lsv also has some seat configuration thing that allows 8 positions i believe 1 being a table.

there is also a drop down swim step built into the platform

I like the table in the rear facing seat option (plus it shouldn't of added much cost), and the drop down swim deck isn't a bad idea either now that the decks are being raised up to help the surf wave. In the older boats this wasn't a problem because the deck was already at the water line but I can see where its nice to have now.

As for the forward camera, why do I need a camera 8' in front of me to show me what I'm already looking at. I can see people just watching a screen that is fixed on one location instead of using their own eyes and peripheral vision. I'm not saying it's totally useless but I can see if causing more issues than doing good in some cases. Kind of like when my girlfriend backed out of our driveway and straight into the neighbors car on the street and immediately looks at me and says "*** my backup sensors didn't even go off". Then I'm an a** when I respond with "USE YOUR MIRRORS"

MC25
10-03-2018, 12:15 PM
I like the table in the rear facing seat option (plus it shouldn't of added much cost), and the drop down swim deck isn't a bad idea either now that the decks are being raised up to help the surf wave. In the older boats this wasn't a problem because the deck was already at the water line but I can see where its nice to have now.

As for the forward camera, why do I need a camera 8' in front of me to show me what I'm already looking at. I can see people just watching a screen that is fixed on one location instead of using their own eyes and peripheral vision. I'm not saying it's totally useless but I can see if causing more issues than doing good in some cases. Kind of like when my girlfriend backed out of our driveway and straight into the neighbors car on the street and immediately looks at me and says "*** my backup sensors didn't even go off". Then I'm an a** when I respond with "USE YOUR MIRRORS"

Hahahahahahahahaha

rsykes
10-03-2018, 12:18 PM
If you need a forward facing camera to help drive your boat, you shouldn't be driving a boat.

mzimme
10-03-2018, 01:26 PM
If you need a forward facing camera to help drive your boat, you shouldn't be driving a boat.

Not an option I'd add to a build by any means, but I can see the value.

Some struggle with knowing how far up on the trailer you are, or if you're even lined up straight. This could be helpful in a river with a current, or a windy day that really gives you fits loading the boat. Certainly not something I'd want to use every day, but there'd be certain times that it'd be nice to have. Wonder what it costs.

Mastercraftdave
10-03-2018, 01:54 PM

My one issue would be that if you have any weight in the front, the camera can be submerged making it useless.

I would have thought that mounting the camera in the rub rail would function better but what do I know.

I also saw where Malibu incorporated the Cobalt swim step into the platform. That was a cool feature.

hyman989
10-03-2018, 01:57 PM

https://www.malibuboats.com/news/2018-news/dockingtrailer-camera-recognized-for-innovationNot a huge fan of it for its looks but see the idea behind it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

agarabaghi
10-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Its obviously so you can see ahead of the nose while surfing since bus bow rise is so much ;)

tmothy07
10-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Its obviously so you can see ahead of the nose while surfing since bus bow rise is so much ;)

You joke, but from some comments I've seen this seems to be an actual use case. The bow rise on Axis and Malibu for surfing is absolutely awful.

mzimme
10-03-2018, 05:18 PM
You joke, but from some comments I've seen this seems to be an actual use case. The bow rise on Axis and Malibu for surfing is absolutely awful.

Hey, whatever works right?? 8p

WakeRider107
10-04-2018, 10:31 AM
My one issue would be that if you have any weight in the front, the camera can be submerged making it useless.

I would have thought that mounting the camera in the rub rail would function better but what do I know.

I also saw where Malibu incorporated the Cobalt swim step into the platform. That was a cool feature.

The brackets for that swim platform stick down and will clearly be in the water at surf speeds and I can only imagine how many times swimmers will knock their knees on the brackets.
It's a cool feature on Cobalt since the swim platform sits higher above the water and the flip down step protects you from the outdrive - I think it's a goofy option on a wake boat.