PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Colorado!

shotz__21
09-19-2018, 09:11 PM
I am thinking of moving to Colorado at the end of the year. I will be graduating college with an engineering degree and would like some suggestions on what good places to live are in Colorado as I am looking there for a job.

I obviously plan on doing a great deal of boating, but I'm also into snowboarding. Are there any particular places in Colorado with a good combination of these two hobbies? Or maybe places that I should avoid? I figured this was a good forum to post on as you all are spread throughout the country.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

jbmccul
09-19-2018, 09:17 PM
I am thinking of moving to Colorado at the end of the year. I will be graduating college with an engineering degree and would like some suggestions on what good places to live are in Colorado as I am looking there for a job.

I obviously plan on doing a great deal of boating, but I'm also into snowboarding. Are there any particular places in Colorado with a good combination of these two hobbies? Or maybe places that I should avoid? I figured this was a good forum to post on as you all are spread throughout the country.

Find the job first.

shotz__21
09-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Yes, of course... i wouldn't move without one.
I'm looking for places to apply.

jbmccul
09-19-2018, 09:23 PM
Yes, of course... i wouldn't move without one.
I'm looking for places to apply.

I'd look more closely at the types of industries you want to work in and the type of job/career path/work-life balance you want and apply to those organizations within the state. There are only two large cities in the state (three if you count Fort Collins as a separate area). I wouldn't want to limit my geography too drastically if I were you.

moosehead
09-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Lake Granby, Headwaters of the Mighty Colorado River. Pic from last Saturday 9/15:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180920/cfa26f4a359e7aa6fc5a86522b9a3b7e.jpg

There might be good boarding nearby, so they say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Skyskiguy
09-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Botanical Engineering by chance? Probably many “growing operations” and “greenhouses” in Colorado that could use a good Botanical Engineer!

neil.anderson63
09-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Botanical Engineering by chance? Probably many “growing operations” and “greenhouses” in Colorado that could use a good Botanical Engineer!

Winner

bcd
09-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Have you thought about Utah? Mountains are closer in salt lake than Denver. Traffic isn't as bad and I think living is cheaper. You just have to deal with some of the Mormon rules.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bcd
09-19-2018, 11:28 PM
Plus lake Powell is only 4 hours away, I think.

shotz__21
09-19-2018, 11:45 PM
Head waters of the Colorado would be cool!

I'm a mechanical actually.

My sister lived in Salt Lake City, which I visited many times. Neither of us were to thrilled about that city. However when I was down there, there was like 7 ski resorts within an hour drive, which was awesome.

Skyskiguy
09-20-2018, 12:16 AM
No offense but - go to Colorado. Too crowded here already. Powell’s not far from the Denver area. I know a great home builder in the Longmont area if you plan on building.

jbmccul
09-20-2018, 01:31 AM
No offense but - go to Colorado. Too crowded here already. Powell’s not far from the Denver area. I know a great home builder in the Longmont area if you plan on building.

Colorado is more crowded than Utah, It took me 4 hours to get from Vail to DIA on Sunday!

bcd
09-20-2018, 08:54 AM
My aunt lives in Durango Co. It's a pretty nice area with some good snow skiing (Silverton and Wolf Creek). There are also a few lakes close. The hard part is engineering jobs, not sure what's there. Schlumberger (oil) is in Farmington NM, which is close, but that's all I know of. They pay nice, but it's a lot of travel. I know a guy that worked there, and he did a lot of work in TX.

bcd
09-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Head waters of the Colorado would be cool!

I'm a mechanical actually.

My sister lived in Salt Lake City, which I visited many times. Neither of us were to thrilled about that city. However when I was down there, there was like 7 ski resorts within an hour drive, which was awesome.

Sent from my VS988 using TapatalkI'll agree, just throwing it other ideas. My buddy lives in Park City, which is much better- just more expensive. I work with a contract engineering firm in salt lake. A lot of their guys live in Ogden.

My biggest complaint about CO is everyone lives in Denver and then heads up I70. It's a nightmare trying to get to and back from the mountains on weekends.

TJWAggie
09-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Look down town. EOG, Anadarko, etc.

shotz__21
09-20-2018, 09:27 AM
Look down town. EOG, Anadarko, etc.I'm not living DT in a big city. I live in Fargo currently and I get sick of waiting in traffic. I realize I might have to commute to one for a job, but I'd rather do that then live in the largest city.

Park City is badass btw. Rented a cabin at the base there once.

skyskiguy, I plan on getting something small to make sure I like Colorado first.

cbreck0318
09-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Invest in a dry suit. Our lakes are awesome but they get cold. And now for a thread jack. Hey moose, is granby your primary lake you boat on? I want to try and hit it up next year, I’m only a 2 hour drive from it and I’ve never been to it. Driven by it is all.

Ski-me
09-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Agree with a lot of the comments above. Denver is getting pretty expensive and a lot of people are flocking there pretty fast. Housing is climbing quite a bit, too. People are starting to purchase in Colo Springs because the pricing is getting too high in Denver (60 miles away). Castle Rock is also another location they are now buying (between Denver and Colo Springs).

There is Pueblo Reservoir south of Colo Springs....that's about it in water. And it's a nightmare on weekends. In fact, I now keep my boat in Idaho because it wasn't even worth going there. As you head north of Denver, there tends to be more lakes. Like Ft Collins area. Maybe you could look in that area. I think most are private type lakes, but I could be wrong.

Snow skiing. I really thought ski areas would be closer but most are 1.5-2.5 hrs away. I don't do I70 to the mountains but it does sound like a nightmare if you want to ski in the winter. It will only get more crowded.

With all that said, I'd probably check out SLC a bit more. Maybe some pockets on the outskirts.

My daughter graduated from A&M Mech Eng. I told her you don't usually get to pick your first job location. Go for experience and then you have a better idea on your interests. With that, she took her first job in NC......a LONG ways from us! But she's loving it and was a great decision. She even thought about getting a S&S boat. How cool would that be!?!

Good luck!

Ski-me
09-20-2018, 10:03 AM
I'm not living DT in a big city. I live in Fargo currently and I get sick of waiting in traffic. I realize I might have to commute to one for a job, but I'd rather do that then live in the largest city.

skyskiguy, I plan on getting something small to make sure I like Colorado first.

If downtown Denver is a no, you'll need to really think about these large cities. Traffic is part of the deal....and Denver is definitely heavy! I avoid driving in that area whenever possible. Basically, heavy traffic tends to start before Castle Rock.....through Denver....and tapers off around Ft. Collins. North of Ft Collins and up to Cheyenne, much better. North of Cheyenne....excellent!! :D

With all that said, Energy is a great industry here (what I'm in). Great for Mech Engineers too.

bcd
09-20-2018, 10:41 AM
My friend just moved to fort Collins a few weeks ago. So far the only water skiing he has found is a private club for $2500 a year. I don't know if that includes boat access or not.

cdstukey
09-20-2018, 02:43 PM
If you don't like traffic/crowds then the front range and summit county are probably going to be pretty low on your list. Steamboat, Grand county, Durango, gunnison and western slope (glenwood springs, maybe grand Junction) are places you should be looking. If you end up with something in the Denver area try to find a place in western suburbs as it will help slightly with commutes to the mountains. Most of the mountain communities have some public water that isn't super busy but it's a bit nippy up there. Front range public water is usually no bueno unless you can get out on weekdays. Smaller private "lakes" are more common in quarries and reservoirs north of Denver through Loveland and up towards ft Collins.
I'd recommend narrowing down some job locations and come visit and stay in a hotel near where you think you could live and do some things you would normally do during the time you would actually do them. That way you'll know what it's like to be a front range snowboarder, Fort Collins commuter, or steamboat resident. Good luck, and keep us posted.

paintpollz
09-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Colorado is more crowded than Utah, It took me 4 hours to get from Vail to DIA on Sunday!

That's actually not all that terrible.

GoneSkiing
09-20-2018, 03:41 PM
There would definitely be opportunities in the downtown area with a lot of oil and gas companies based there. Boulder/Broomfield area has a number of aerospace companies and there are a number of engineering companies downtown and in Englewood. As you will find out, those are also the most expensive areas to live.

jbmccul
09-20-2018, 03:51 PM
That's actually not all that terrible.

Yeah, I made up for it in the areas with no traffic. The speed limits out there are slow

D. Newland
09-20-2018, 06:43 PM
My friend just moved to fort Collins a few weeks ago. So far the only water skiing he has found is a private club for $2500 a year. I don't know if that includes boat access or not.

Is he specifically looking for buoy skiing?

I kept my expectations in check when planning my trip in August to Ft Collins/Horsetooth Resv. I was thoroughly impressed with the lake. Not that big, but the marina was nice with helpful staff, at least 4 different ramps along the west edge that I counted which kept the ramp traffic in check, water temps totally do-able for this wimp, and we had a blast of a day wakeboarding/wakesurfing. Air BnB 2 minutes from the ramp.

bcd
09-20-2018, 09:08 PM
He doesn't have his own boat, and yes I think he was mainly looking for a course.

RyanD121
09-20-2018, 09:20 PM
I'm in Grand Junction. I love it here. Small lake here locally, quite a few within a couple hours, but being 3.5 hours from Powell, we're there all the time. I have a houseboat in Bullfrog at Lake Powell so we're there every two weeks. Plus there's so much else to do that's within a 4 hour radius; Lake Powell, Denver, Moab, Salt Lake, Steamboat, tons of snowmobiling, you name it. Lots to do. Good luck with the move.

CantRepeat
09-20-2018, 09:22 PM
Buy Weed!!!

John Johnson
09-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Buy Weed!!!

Pass your drug test first!!! Then what Tim said.

d2jp
09-20-2018, 11:54 PM
I'm in Grand Junction. I love it here. Small lake here locally, quite a few within a couple hours, but being 3.5 hours from Powell, we're there all the time. I have a houseboat in Bullfrog at Lake Powell so we're there every two weeks. Plus there's so much else to do that's within a 4 hour radius; Lake Powell, Denver, Moab, Salt Lake, Steamboat, tons of snowmobiling, you name it. Lots to do. Good luck with the move.

I lived in Winter Park for 5 years. I had a chance to spend a lot of time in Denver, Boulder, Grand Junction/Fruita (and Moab). I tell everyone young considering a move to CO to check out Grand Junction first. If I were fresh out of college I would find a job in Grand Junction area for the reasons you listed. And no I-70 traffic!

TJWAggie
09-21-2018, 10:19 AM
I'm not living DT in a big city. I live in Fargo currently and I get sick of waiting in traffic. I realize I might have to commute to one for a job, but I'd rather do that then live in the largest city.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalkthen look in Greely or fort collins, with a mechanical engineering degree you quickest and most reliable work will be in the booming O&G space up there on the front range

ahhudgins
09-21-2018, 02:08 PM
My son moved to Fort Collins with his fiancé last year. They just got married in August and so far, so good. My new in-laws told us that business is booming in that area, so much so that the cost of living is sky rocketing….depending on the area of course. They had the wedding at her uncle’s “little place” on a private lake in the Wellington area. Most of the lakes are used for irrigation, so they have to put up with low water levels at times. There is a slalom course but we only saw toobers and surfers who really sucked. My son’s skiing days are over, but he is with a great family now. :cry:

shotz__21
09-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone! I'll keep searching around and check in later if I have any other questions.