PDA

View Full Version : Is a x14 dd the right boat for my family?

ttm
09-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Hello,
I have owned a 93 ps190 for a few seasons now and with the kids getting older, we are looking for a different boat. After a lot of reading here and my bias to mastercraft, I think the x14 dd is the right boat, but I am looking for confirmation.

My wife and I are skiers (recreation open water - she ski's at 31mph, I ski between 32 and 34mph). We only venture onto a board if we are wiped out and the weather is too nice to go in. Our kids are 10,8,and6. They are skiing and knee boarding. We don't really care what they do, we just want them to enjoy something behind the boat.

With the closed bow and small size, the 190 isn't allowing us to comfortably spend time together on the water together. We also want to have the ability to take friends or family with us.

So bottom line, we want a family boat with more space but still a heavy bias to skiing performance. I also considered a197, but my wife immediately said x14 after she saw the two different seat layouts (she likes more seats/space).

I am going to look at a local one, I am just curious of other people's thoughts.

Thanks!

JohnnyB
09-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Have skied and barefooted behind the 214...wake is very similar to 197.

My nephew owns a 214 and skis, foots and also ballasts it and wakeboards throwing pretty decent aerials. His kids are similar ages to yours and board and ski

I think it will do well for your family across a wide set of interests

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

Markl66
09-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Our family started with a closed bow Malibu. We had a lot of fun but transitioned to an X14v for the exact reasons you listed. If the kids can’t bring friends along with them your time is going to be limited. Originally we looked at the DD but settled on the Vdrive mostly so it would surf a little better. I know we would have been happy with either. It’s a big boat compared to a 190 and the performance suffers a bit. I am more than happy to give up a little performance to have my kids with me. My kids are are 16 and 17 and after 10 years we are still putting 100 plus hours per year on the boat. It turned out to be one of the best decisions we made for our family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Double D
09-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Its the next best choice. Good luck!

waterlogged882
09-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Its the next best choice. Good luck!:D You can hardly stand it.

2RLAKE
09-05-2018, 10:44 PM
I am waaayyyyy biased here, but the X14 is exactly what you need. I had an '08 X14 when my kids were 10 and 8 ... it was a great boat for all of us and they learned how to wakeboard on it quite well

My wife and I skied on it like you, and I barefooted on it all the time. As far as a wakeboard boat, I was lucky to have Zane Schwank on it for a day and he could do everything on it

go for it ... there are awesome boats ... hard to find ... my nephew drive about 1000 miles each way to get his

here it is ... Brian has it now and has it cleaner than I ever did!

93Prostar190
09-05-2018, 11:30 PM
I have a 214 and came from a 93 190, we slalom, kneeboard, wake, and a rare long line footing run ... the 214, x14 does it all very, very well.

It also has a lot of room for all day cruising around with the kids and we have easily wake boarded with 8-9 in the boat.

Really clean wake and performance for a larger 197, it is no coincidence that a few more have sprung up from friends,that have skied ours.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Prohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/1ecd0baa4add0e3d56c60d9f2eed3f9c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/2658e96289a140e00f30754c579157fb.jpg

kwoody51
09-06-2018, 12:42 AM
The wake won’t be as soft or as small as your 190 but it will be soooo much better as a boat for family and friends.

I went from a ‘95 PS 205 (same hull as your boat) and loved the wake. The x14 wake is good but I don’t think it matches the early gen prostars for longer line/ slower speeds.

Don’t get me wrong it’s still a great wake.... I just feel that at less than 34mph it’s harder and a bit taller than your current boat. It’s somgreat for everything else though I take the wake for what it’s is.

ttm
09-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Thank you all for your help/input! I will let you know if we make the change.

JohnE
09-06-2018, 08:13 AM
I'm late here, but I echo what the others have said. Perfect boat for what you describe. The ski wake at slower speeds won't be that of the 190, but you can't expect it to.

trunderw
09-06-2018, 08:25 AM
I went from an 88 ProStar to the X-14 DD and yeah the wake isn't as unbelievable as that, but it hasn't hurt my skiing. With over 100 more horsepower in the 14, it's still not as nimble, but I've never felt like it didn't have more than what I needed for what we do. No doubt if I had room I'd have a larger cruising boat and my old 190 but where the family is today this boat is perfect. I don't think you can go wrong, especially given your situation.

gutgiefly
09-06-2018, 11:36 AM
I have an ‘08 214 and absolutely love it. I previously owned a ‘98 205. The ski wake is still extremely nice above 32 mph. We regularly have 8 people on the boat and there is plenty of room for everyone. Also, the massive swim platform rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zsqure
09-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Go straight to the 214/X-14. Went from an '88 PS190 to a PS209, hated it for the ski wake, nice big DD boat that will swallow a lot of stuff. Picked up an X-14 DD, much better boat wake wise. The best choice if you want to stay with a newer MC DD and mostly slalom ski. A 214 skier with a tower (without hard tanks) is more difficult to find, if you don't need or want the hard tanks in the x-series boat, as far as i know, you can only cut them out, they aren't made to be removed unless the hull is split. When empty they are holding air, when they are gone the spaces will be full of extra weight (gear).
214/X-14 has a low freeboard, like the 197.

JohnE
09-06-2018, 09:18 PM
I thought about cutting out the hard tanks in my X14. We rarely filled them. But I kept them intact mostly for resale.

Double D
09-06-2018, 09:58 PM
I thought about cutting out the hard tanks in my X14. We rarely filled them. But I kept them intact mostly for resale.

Another option is to cut them out and replace them with plumbed in soft bags.

JohnE
09-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Another option is to cut them out and replace them with plumbed in soft bags.

Agreed, I considered that, too. But really, the X14 had enough storage for me already.

barefoot
09-07-2018, 11:31 AM
The only thing I think about is where to put the cooler? In the old '83, it goes behind the driver seat. With the seating configuration of a 214/x14, you putting it in the walk way of the bow?

2RLAKE
09-07-2018, 12:35 PM
I put the cooler in the port side walkway, and actually made a seat top for it ... effectively another seat ... i got some vinyl that closely matched the interior, a piece of pressure treated plywood, piece of foam and then used captive nuts and bolted it in place from the underside of the lid

Worked really well

ValveCoverGasket
09-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Go straight to the 214/X-14. Went from an '88 PS190 to a PS209, hated it for the ski wake, nice big DD boat that will swallow a lot of stuff.

agree with this if skiing is your main sport
we went from a '94 190 to a '04 x9 and the ski wake definitely isnt the same on the 209/x9. never been behind a 214/x14 but ive heard its much better.
that said the 209/x9 is a lot cheaper than the 14 haha

kwoody51
09-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Hopefully you are hearing the answer to your question is ‘yes, the x14 is the right next boat for your family!’

Outside of surfing it does everything pretty well. You can surf with it but don’t expect to throw the rope. You will also need extra ballast and a wake shaper.

sully
09-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Hopefully you are hearing the answer to your question is ‘yes, the x14 is the right next boat for your family!’

Outside of surfing it does everything pretty well. You can surf with it but don’t expect to throw the rope. You will also need extra ballast and a wake shaper.

You can surf behind a X14, we did add extra ballast though.

ttm
09-08-2018, 01:50 AM
Thanks again for the confirmation. I heard you loud and clear, and we made the decision. We hope to pick it up next week.

The minimal storage and poor surfing qualities were two big question marks.

We will just have to wait and see if the storage is an issue or not. Converting to soft bags is a great idea and would definitely help but I wouldn't want to do that unless we really had an issue with it.

As for surfing capabilities, my wife and I have tried it once and we don't really think it is our thing. The only reason why it was discussed/considered was because it is the new fad and the kids may want to do it. We assume that they would be able to try it with this boat and it would be good enough for a few years. If they eventually want a bigger wave down the road, they will have to make friends with kids at the lake with surf boats because Mom and Dad are skiers first.

Thanks again for your input! I will update the profile once we take delivery.

JohnE
09-08-2018, 08:44 AM
I put the cooler in the port side walkway, and actually made a seat top for it ... effectively another seat ... i got some vinyl that closely matched the interior, a piece of pressure treated plywood, piece of foam and then used captive nuts and bolted it in place from the underside of the lid

Worked really well

Depending on how many people I had, that is usually where I'd put the cooler too. We'd also use it as an extra seat, but I didn't go to the extent you did.

I'd also put it in the walk through at times when there were just a couple of people

93Prostar190
09-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Since we have a 214 without ballast, we put a soft side under the port rear seat.

A 214 without the tanks has so much space especially with the ski locker.

If you get an x14. With tanks, it seems to me you need one set of racks to be ski racks.

Love this boating platform, so good.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BrianS
09-08-2018, 09:30 AM
I agree with all of the above. I too came from a '93 190. The ski wake on the X14 is definitely not as good at slower speeds, but it is acceptable. The wakeboard wake is much better, both with and without ballast. Kids can surf with extra ballast and a shaper.

Another surprise was the power, I thought the bigger boat would not be as nimble but I think it pulls harder than the '93.

The extra room is great. We spent a week with 6 adults and 7 kids in the boat. I was really surprised it wasn't more cramped.

The lounge seat behind the driver is awesome. Great spot for an afternoon nap!

Storage is an issue for the X14 with tanks. I have a ski rack on one side which helps. I too have considered removing the rear tanks, they are only 150lbs each and take up a lot of space. The cooler is always my dilemma too. For now, I use a RTIC soft side 40 and sit it right next to the driver in front of the pylon. Still enough room for the kids to squeeze into the front.

Enjoy the new boat, post some pics!

2RLAKE
09-08-2018, 10:22 AM
I agree with all of the above. I too came from a '93 190. The ski wake on the X14 is definitely not as good at slower speeds, but it is acceptable. The wakeboard wake is much better, both with and without ballast. Kids can surf with extra ballast and a shaper.

Another surprise was the power, I thought the bigger boat would not be as nimble but I think it pulls harder than the '93.

The extra room is great. We spent a week with 6 adults and 7 kids in the boat. I was really surprised it wasn't more cramped.

The lounge seat behind the driver is awesome. Great spot for an afternoon nap!

Storage is an issue for the X14 with tanks. I have a ski rack on one side which helps. I too have considered removing the rear tanks, they are only 150lbs each and take up a lot of space. The cooler is always my dilemma too. For now, I use a RTIC soft side 40 and sit it right next to the driver in front of the pylon. Still enough room for the kids to squeeze into the front.

Enjoy the new boat, post some pics!

Brian ... great seeing you and your awesome boat

214skier
09-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Late to this topic and happy to answer specific questions. We have had two... a x14v and a now a 2015 PS214. We bought twice for all the same reasons you stated—-versatility and room. We are fanatical skiers and originally came from a PS190. Interesting note—the 2015 PS214 skies much better with softer smaller wake than our 2010 X14v.

Enjoy

JohnE
09-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Late to this topic and happy to answer specific questions. We have had two... a x14v and a now a 2015 PS214. We bought twice for all the same reasons you stated—-versatility and room. We are fanatical skiers and originally came from a PS190. Interesting note—the 2015 PS214 skies much better with softer smaller wake than our 2010 X14v.

Enjoy

I can't see how the 2014 214V skies much better than the 2010 X14V. Maybe different prop? Both have towers, hard tanks add very little weight. I can't imagine motors weigh much different. I wonder if motor placement changed when they went to Ilmore?

Not doubting you, just wondering....

Double D
09-11-2018, 08:32 PM
I can't see how the 2014 214V skies much better than the 2010 X14V. Maybe different prop? Both have towers, hard tanks add very little weight. I can't imagine motors weigh much different. I wonder if motor placement changed when they went to Ilmore?

Not doubting you, just wondering....

Read again, he is saying the 214 DD ski's better than the X14V, which makes complete sense.

zsqure
09-11-2018, 10:40 PM
Read again, he is saying the 214 DD ski's better than the X14V, which makes complete sense.

I thought he had a 214V?

Double D
09-11-2018, 11:26 PM
I thought he had a 214V?

He did until is sunk. His new one might be a V also???

Sodar
09-11-2018, 11:51 PM
He did until is sunk. His new one might be a V also???

Yes, his new boat is a PS214V.

Double D
09-11-2018, 11:58 PM

Agree, buts it’s not written that way.

Krw1225
09-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Late to the party, but the x-14 is great for our family of 4. We have plenty of room and often have another family of 4 with us! My only recommendation is since you all are skiers, try to find one that already has the slalom extenders for the tower rack. Helps keep the ski off the floor, and are hard to find after the fact.

ttm
09-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Well, here it is. It has all the options we were looking for and low hours (200). Very similar to DD's, lol, just smaller engine.

There are a couple things I need some help with that I will post other threads.
1. It has the original stereo without Bluetooth, so I want to upgrade that.
2. The throttle is very stiff (not shifting from neutral to drive, the tranny engages very easy, it's only stiff when in gear, going to wot). I found an old thread on how to adjust the tension with the set screw behind cover plate - it seemed to work a bit, but even with the screw removed, the throttle is still stiff.

I think I will leave the throttle issue until the spring, but I would like to upgrade the stereo over winter.

We are extremely excited!

GregS
09-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Great looking boat!

Double D
09-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Well, here it is. It has all the options we were looking for and low hours (200). Very similar to DD's, lol, just smaller engine.

2. The throttle is very stiff (not shifting from neutral to drive, the tranny engages very easy, it's only stiff when in gear, going to wot). I found an old thread on how to adjust the tension with the set screw behind cover plate - it seemed to work a bit, but even with the screw removed, the throttle is still stiff.

I think I will leave the throttle issue until the spring, but I would like to upgrade the stereo over winter.

Wow, great looking boat. Except for the graphics it could be my twin, and low hours to boot. Congrats to the both of us!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180916/b4f0b6c1201b2e27483576fe7bb8dcd5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180916/782274323314aa173a7950a84beaad77.jpg

JohnE
09-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Agree, buts it’s not written that way.

Both are v-drives. So I don't know what would make such a difference in the ski wakes. :confused:

H2ORidr
09-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Late to the party, but the x-14 is great for our family of 4. We have plenty of room and often have another family of 4 with us! My only recommendation is since you all are skiers, try to find one that already has the slalom extenders for the tower rack. Helps keep the ski off the floor, and are hard to find after the fact.

I put 2 Sampson ski racks up above my wakeboard rack on my X14. I can get 2 sets of skis out of the boat and on the rack along with 4 wakeboards. They are worth their weight in gold although I would not put my kid's Radar slalom ski up there because of the boots (doulbe booted) and I would be afraid of calling attention to it so it could be stolen.

Problem is the folks on the lake say I look like an Apache Attack Helicopter when I come at them on the lake. :D

Sodar
09-17-2018, 02:58 PM

I REALLY like this boat's gel scheme... I think I know why! If you remove those graphics and went with the standard domed "MasterCraft". It would look like the big brother to my boat! :cool:

Double D
09-17-2018, 03:23 PM
I put 2 Sampson ski racks up above my wakeboard rack on my X14. I can get 2 sets of skis out of the boat and on the rack along with 4 wakeboards. They are worth their weight in gold although I would not put my kid's Radar slalom ski up there because of the boots (doulbe booted) and I would be afraid of calling attention to it so it could be stolen.

Problem is the folks on the lake say I look like an Apache Attack Helicopter when I come at them on the lake. :D

Show us a picture. I took a lot of crap for the same thing when I added ski racks to my 205.

JohnE
09-17-2018, 06:56 PM
I REALLY like this boat's gel scheme... I think I know why! If you remove those graphics and went with the standard domed "MasterCraft". It would look like the big brother to my boat! :cool:

I was thinking the same thing.

Krw1225
09-17-2018, 10:57 PM
I see that it came with a slalom rack... Nice!

cbryan70
09-18-2018, 11:06 AM
will a 214/x14 fit in a 21x21 garage with a collapsible tongue?

H2ORidr
09-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Show us a picture. I took a lot of crap for the same thing when I added ski racks to my 205.

I tried to post but I have no idea how to share a photo from my google drive. I tried nearly everything and it does not work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5RPg9YnCD2abArdE7

mike koen
09-18-2018, 09:38 PM
How much extra ballast and where did you put it ? Something I would like to try .

cbryan70
09-18-2018, 10:34 PM

Anyone?

dabeej20
09-18-2018, 10:46 PM
Anyone?

I highly doubt it. My 197 has about 2 inches of clearance and I think my garage measures 20’ 6” from back wall to garage door. Could possibly put it at an angle, but I still doubt that.

ttm
09-19-2018, 02:04 AM
I just measured. My garage is 23' long and I have 1' of clearance with the tongue collapsed.

zsqure
09-19-2018, 07:43 AM

SIDEWAYS, NOT STRAIGHT IN.

cbryan70
09-19-2018, 10:22 AM
SIDEWAYS, NOT STRAIGHT IN.

I figured sideways just trying to figure out if it will fit sideways lol

Double D
09-19-2018, 10:29 AM
I figured sideways just trying to figure out if it will fit sideways lol

Here is a quick and dirty example that it 'might' fit. But it better have a single axle trailer.

cbryan70
09-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Thank you so its 21 feet 4 inches with the platform folded down and swingaway in? 8 ft wide at the stern?

cbryan70
09-19-2018, 06:39 PM
I just measured. My garage is 23' long and I have 1' of clearance with the tongue collapsed.

Platform folded down ornstill up?

Double D
09-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Thank you so its 21 feet 4 inches with the platform folded down and swingaway in? 8 ft wide at the stern?

The boat is listed at 21’4. Rough numbers the boat and trailer tongue measure a bit over 22’ with platform down.

zsqure
09-20-2018, 07:50 AM
My garage was 20'-6". Both the 209 & X-14 had to be placed at an angle (like the DD illustration but less room) across the width of the 2-stall garage. Length with trailer and swim platform folded is closer to 22-23'. Too often I had the boat bumping against the back wall. It fits with no problem.

trunderw
09-20-2018, 09:27 AM
I had to take my platform off (you gain inches) and do the aggressive angle, which also required disconnecting the trailer, repositioning the truck, and reconnecting the trailer to finish. Landscaping around the driveway made it annoying.