PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Management - who's in charge here?

KaanaKahuna
09-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Just picked up a 2018 x23 to upgrade from an older x23 that was having issues. Love the new boat, and many of the features, however learning exactly how much fuel is in the tank remains a mystery in the 2018s. Of course, this has long been an issue with MasterCraft, but I encountered a new wrinkle this morning.

Reading the owner's manual (yes, it's come to that) I saw that you could fill the boat in Fuel Management mode, select "Full" and the boat would count down for you. I did not have this setting in my other boat. All, excited, I filled up this morning, tapped the FULL button, and the boat happy read 47 gallons, 100%. (What the...?). Try as I might I could not get the system to read 57 gallons, the documented size of the tank.

I have read about the boat wanting to have 15 gallons in reserve, so maybe this is the failsafe for novice boaters. However, I would be happier knowing the real value. Any of you have experience here. 25% is a big number, especially when you can go fairly far on a 1/4 tank.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

grantman
09-03-2018, 08:26 PM
the fuel management keeps a fuel reserve because technically you are not supposed to run your boat with less than 1/4 tank because the fuel pump can overheat if it does not get enough fuel to keep it cool.

Hjwallin
09-03-2018, 08:30 PM
On ours I always assumed it just automatically calculated how many gallons it would take to fill it. In your case I would have thought that the gauge was off a bit and the boat was thinking it had 10 gallons left, used 47 gallons, so it needed 47 gallons to become full.

Donít know if itís the right answer but it always sounded reasonable enough for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnmax
09-03-2018, 08:40 PM
the fuel management keeps a fuel reserve because technically you are not supposed to run your boat with less than 1/4 tank because the fuel pump can overheat if it does not get enough fuel to keep it cool.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but this doesn't make any sense to me... so I have to carry around 10 to 15 gallons of fuel at all times in order to keep my fuel pump cool? What happens if/when I get into a bind and need to burn into that fuel reserve to get home? My fuel pump over-heats and I get stranded anyway, even though I still have fuel in my tank? Cars/trucks don't work that way, why would a boat?

MC25
09-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Turn it off and use the gas gauge?

Hjwallin
09-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Turn it off and use the gas gauge?

Itís all digital so every time you turn it on it asks if you added fuel. If so it will ask either ďfullĒ or make you type in how many gallons you put in it. Last week it was reading 1% by the time I got to the fuel dock ( from the houseboat. Really didnít mean to go that low). I was worried Iíd burn up the fuel pump. When we topped it off it would only take 23 gallons. I was at ~50% not 1% just because I hit the wrong button last time I filled it up.

MC25
09-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Itís all digital so every time you turn it on it asks if you added fuel. If so it will ask either ďfullĒ or make you type in how many gallons you put in it. Last week it was reading 1% by the time I got to the fuel dock ( from the houseboat. Really didnít mean to go that low). I was worried Iíd burn up the fuel pump. When we topped it off it would only take 23 gallons. I was at ~50% not 1% just because I hit the wrong button last time I filled it up.

Right, my 16 has this feature but I turned it off the second we got the boat. Was more irritating than useful

Hjwallin
09-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Right, my 16 has this feature but I turned it off the second we got the boat. Was more irritating than useful

Didnít know I could turn it off! Iíll have to do that too. Definitely irritating

RBHME
09-03-2018, 10:00 PM
How do you turn it off? I have a 19 xt20 and this fuel gauge stinks.

Hjwallin
09-03-2018, 10:07 PM
How do you turn it off? I have a 19 xt20 and this fuel gauge stinks.

Found it. System setting - fuel management
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180904/41343dfd1a0f6a692b137cfeab269433.jpg

jgraham37128
09-03-2018, 10:10 PM
If you figured out how to buy an X23 you’re smart enough to figure out how much gas you have in the tank! Quit sweating the small stuff, turn it off.

RBHME
09-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Thank you!
I admit to being a little thick headed...

pridnjoy
09-05-2018, 07:03 AM
Mine too is disabled and has been since delivery on my 2018. I’m fine with that. EXCEPT, we are disabling a handy feature because MC doesn’t have it perfected but included it anyway?

Seems like disabling it isn’t the answer, it working correctly is though...

KaanaKahuna
09-05-2018, 08:04 AM
If you figured out how to buy an X23 youíre smart enough to figure out how much gas you have in the tank! Quit sweating the small stuff, turn it off.I would totally agree with you generally. I had it off initially. However, when it was off, the gauge was still allocating 15 gallons in reserve. I knew this as I ran across the lake at 0% for about 20 minutes. (A bit worried, but I continued on). When I got to the fuel dock, I was only able to put in 26 gallons - when we went back to idle and the boat was level, it brought me back to around 14%. The next tank I tried to use Fuel Management, that was when I saw the 47 gallon thing.

What I am saying is that with or without Fuel Management, there appears to be an implied reserve in the system of about 15 gallons. I also read the fuel pump note in the manual. But, rigging the gauge as a failsafe is troubling, especially when you are trying to get home at 0% [emoji11]

KaanaKahuna
09-05-2018, 08:08 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but this doesn't make any sense to me... so I have to carry around 10 to 15 gallons of fuel at all times in order to keep my fuel pump cool? What happens if/when I get into a bind and need to burn into that fuel reserve to get home? My fuel pump over-heats and I get stranded anyway, even though I still have fuel in my tank? Cars/trucks don't work that way, why would a boat?If I remember correctly, the 15 gallons and fuel pump note are with respect to surfing where the bow is up and at an angle, potentially starving the fuel pump. On plane, tanks empty I believe you can run home just fine. (I did just that last weekend). However, the gauge was reading 0% the entire time. I would rather it showed a red 15% countdown or some other signal that told us we were in reserve and okay, but to avoid surfing.

LDA6339
09-05-2018, 01:06 PM
The fuel management system works perfectly- Wanna know exactly how much gas is in your boat? Look at the gauge or screen and just add your reserve.

Wanna know your reserve? Fill it up, see what it says it is when full, then find out actual tank size and math.

Our reserve is right under 12 (11.4) gallons because full says 48.6 but the tank holds 60. When people hate on the fuel management system I picture an old man yelling at the sky because he hasn't learned how to use the tech yet. This thing is accurate. If I am about to fill up and I go to the fuel screen and see what it says is in the tank, add 11.4 gallons and then subtract what I get from 60, I can guess how much fuel it will take usually within +/- 0.2 gallons. The guys at the fuel dock are always super impressed.

The best part about it is that when you are lower on gas and you are surfing and slowing down the reading wont change as gas sloshes around in the tank. I love it, learn to use it and you might too.

KaanaKahuna
09-05-2018, 09:26 PM
The fuel management system works perfectly- Wanna know exactly how much gas is in your boat? Look at the gauge or screen and just add your reserve.

Wanna know your reserve? Fill it up, see what it says it is when full, then find out actual tank size and math.

Our reserve is right under 12 (11.4) gallons because full says 48.6 but the tank holds 60. When people hate on the fuel management system I picture an old man yelling at the sky because he hasn't learned how to use the tech yet. This thing is accurate. If I am about to fill up and I go to the fuel screen and see what it says is in the tank, add 11.4 gallons and then subtract what I get from 60, I can guess how much fuel it will take usually within +/- 0.2 gallons. The guys at the fuel dock are always super impressed.

The best part about it is that when you are lower on gas and you are surfing and slowing down the reading wont change as gas sloshes around in the tank. I love it, learn to use it and you might too.Thanks. I may just have to document a variety of ranges and rpms to determine the range of the reserve in case I take the fun to 0%, but still need to get home.

jakethebt
09-05-2018, 11:02 PM
Dang... y'all and your first world problems. I am sure your question is legit and it is confusing but this thread sounds like my kids trying to explain smart phones to their grandparents. This may seem crazy, but my fuel gage on my prostar tells me how much fuel is in the tank. If it is on E, I fill it. If it is on F, I am good to go. I stop filling it when it pisses fuel all down the side of the boat.

KaanaKahuna
09-07-2018, 11:35 PM
Dang... y'all and your first world problems. I am sure your question is legit and it is confusing but this thread sounds like my kids trying to explain smart phones to their grandparents. This may seem crazy, but my fuel gage on my prostar tells me how much fuel is in the tank. If it is on E, I fill it. If it is on F, I am good to go. I stop filling it when it pisses fuel all down the side of the boat.Jakethebt, for context, I have been in the marine industry for 20 years and been offshore racing sailboats for much of that time. I also run digital marketing for a Fortune 50. Not a newbie to boats in any sense of the word, and really just looking for perspective on my new MasterCraft with my move inland to NC. I hear your point that you just fill it when it gets to E. However, if you are surfing all day it would be nice to know if you are truly empty or if you have simply reached the reserve. I have come to the realization with the generousity and help of this forum that I the reserve is a standard "feature" of the 2017-18 boats. It's all good. Not a 1st world problem. Just working to understand the boat and use it properly.

uplandbird
09-08-2018, 09:46 AM
I turned that feature off before the boat ever saw the water.

I just don't see the need to keep track of my gas manually when the gas gauge works just fine.

JimN
09-08-2018, 10:00 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but this doesn't make any sense to me... so I have to carry around 10 to 15 gallons of fuel at all times in order to keep my fuel pump cool? What happens if/when I get into a bind and need to burn into that fuel reserve to get home? My fuel pump over-heats and I get stranded anyway, even though I still have fuel in my tank? Cars/trucks don't work that way, why would a boat?

You're supposed to do the same with cars and trucks- the fuel does keep the pump cool and running extremely low shortens the life of the pump. Run the tank dry in a car or truck and you'll be replacing the pump very soon- usually in one or two fill-ups, sometimes not even that far.

Knowing this, why is it a problem? You'll buy and use the same amount of fuel in a season either way.

It would be good to have a reserve tank, but not when Ethanol is involved.

jakethebt
09-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Jakethebt, for context, I have been in the marine industry for 20 years and been offshore racing sailboats for much of that time. I also run digital marketing for a Fortune 50. Not a newbie to boats in any sense of the word, and really just looking for perspective on my new MasterCraft with my move inland to NC. I hear your point that you just fill it when it gets to E. However, if you are surfing all day it would be nice to know if you are truly empty or if you have simply reached the reserve. I have come to the realization with the generousity and help of this forum that I the reserve is a standard "feature" of the 2017-18 boats. It's all good. Not a 1st world problem. Just working to understand the boat and use it properly.

The post was supposed to be funny... not taken seriously. Hope you figure out your fuel system.

TarheelMC
09-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Just picked up a 2018 x23 to upgrade from an older x23 that was having issues. Love the new boat, and many of the features, however learning exactly how much fuel is in the tank remains a mystery in the 2018s. Of course, this has long been an issue with MasterCraft, but I encountered a new wrinkle this morning.

Reading the owner's manual (yes, it's come to that) I saw that you could fill the boat in Fuel Management mode, select "Full" and the boat would count down for you. I did not have this setting in my other boat. All, excited, I filled up this morning, tapped the FULL button, and the boat happy read 47 gallons, 100%. (What the...?). Try as I might I could not get the system to read 57 gallons, the documented size of the tank.

I have read about the boat wanting to have 15 gallons in reserve, so maybe this is the failsafe for novice boaters. However, I would be happier knowing the real value. Any of you have experience here. 25% is a big number, especially when you can go fairly far on a 1/4 tank.

I was wondering why I saw your boat for sale on their website!! Glad you picked up another one!

Personally, I like the fuel management aspect. It has been within a gallon of what the pump says when I fill up. My routine is have the marina drop in the water, then fill it up at the pump so I always go out with a full tank. There's been a time or 2 where it showed I had less than I actually did, but 99% of the time it has been pretty accurate.