PDA

View Full Version : Boat resale value

GarrettNTxWake
08-21-2018, 12:16 AM
Currently, I own an 06 X-15, and absolutely love it. Only has about 300 hours, but starting to show some wear and tear on the back seats. This got me thinking...what can I do to help the resale value of my boat when I do sell in the future.

Reupholster everything? Change the carpet to gatordec/seadek? Upgrade sound more?

Overall, I understand that I will not get all my money back for what goes into it, but being on the water is worth the money. Any ideas or experiences will help!

lashburn1
08-21-2018, 12:40 AM
You bring good points.
Pretty much price it to move as is or risk the upgrades towards increased potential resale.
Be prepared to lose your upgrade $$$ Just Incase.
Or your can always keep your restored boat for another season.

gweaver
08-21-2018, 04:07 AM
If you love the boat that much, I'd probably spend the $ on an upholstery job, then take care of the carpet later down the road. Sure, you'll probably not make the money back when you sell it, but if you're enjoying it, keep it. Whatever the cost to upholster, I'd guess it's less than the cost of upgrading to a newer boat.
G

Tsumi
08-21-2018, 04:16 AM
I would not even bother thinking about putting money into your boat for future resale value. I would only think about putting money into it such that you can continue enjoying your boat, and worry about resale only after you have decided that the boat no longer fits your needs. As a general rule of thumb, you should only expect to get about 10% back, and less if the upgrade is a few years old.

2RLAKE
08-21-2018, 07:50 AM
you'll never get your money back out of it with a complete $5k+ new upholstery ... it really depends on what you want to do ... if you are going to sell it then the 300 hours is a huge plus ... if you are going to keep it then decide what makes you happy

Ben
08-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Best thing is maintenance and records IMO. Engine oil and trans fluid changes. Plugs filters impeller etc.
Interior, keep clean and maybe use 303 or other product on it.
Exterior, clean, waxed, etc. wiped down after use, consider a detail spray like boat candy speed gloss.
All- keep dry and out of sun when not in use. Donít put away soaking wet.
Beyond that, depending how long you think you will have it, make decisions on what to add / upgrade.
If you will have it a long time, do all the seats how you want them. Donít go too far from stock, would be a good resale move. If not keeping long, consider replacing the bad stuff (if bad) to match existing. You could do that now or when you sell.
I doubt you would get a great return on a sound system, but if you enjoy it, go for it.

88 PS190
08-21-2018, 08:09 AM
I watch for comprable sales locally. What nice low hour boats with immaculate interiors go for is top dollar. Expect less with a new replaced interior than a factory clean boat. Thats your investment window.

Wraps dont add like a full polish adds, custom stereo youll get a fraction back on.

Mechanicals its all about records and hours.

Tookeymonster
08-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Pics of the interior? I have seen some guys on here do wonders with lots of elbow grease and the correct cleaning supply. Also the 3 step compound and polish makes the paint look better than new!

Put it this way, I bought an 06' x30 last August and sold it this last April and did not loose a penny.

Shaun R
08-21-2018, 02:57 PM
You may not get all of your money back but you will get it sold quicker and for more than if you left it. I had a hard time getting excited about dropping 35-45K on a boat with a warn out interior and eventually upped my budget to get something that looked like it was well cared for. When I was looking at boats, my order of interest went from: Great interior, warn interior but cared for, warn interior because they just didn't take care of it, and at the very bottom was cheap replacement interior.

I vote for doing the interior correctly if it's due and enjoying it until it comes time to sell. That way you can at least enjoy it until the time comes.

mastercraftka
08-21-2018, 04:58 PM
You may not get all of your money back but you will get it sold quicker and for more than if you left it. I had a hard time getting excited about dropping 35-45K on a boat with a warn out interior and eventually upped my budget to get something that looked like it was well cared for. When I was looking at boats, my order of interest went from: Great interior, warn interior but cared for, warn interior because they just didn't take care of it, and at the very bottom was cheap replacement interior.

I vote for doing the interior correctly if it's due and enjoying it until it comes time to sell. That way you can at least enjoy it until the time comes.

Nail on the head here the better condition the boat is in the quicker the sale will be but no i don't think you will get it all back. I guess it depends on how fast you need to unload the boat. Coming up on the time of year that is a buyers market not a sellers.