PDA

View Full Version : It Happened to Me

mustangtexas
08-20-2018, 06:51 PM
Yesterday traveling through Kansas during heavy rain a lady hydroplanes, spins out and hits me while I'm in the merge lane going from I35 to the Kansas Turnpike. The witness following her say they were going 70 at the time. I was at the beginning of the merge lane picking up speed to merge and was at about 45. All the sudden Big Bang, airbags every where, I can't see, fish tailing all over. Came to a stop on the shoulder. Truck is bashed hard and the trailer took a good hit. Not sure how she missed the boat but it still got a few chips and the cover was cut by what I think was her rear window glass. Everyone is ok so that's a win. The bad, found out today that her insurance is not in effect at the time of the accident. I'll need a new trailer so help me out if you can.

Double D
08-20-2018, 06:55 PM
Oh that stinks. Glad everyone is okay. Her insurance was not in affect? Thats a bunch of crap and you should have insurance to cover that, right?

j2nh
08-20-2018, 07:01 PM
Glad everyone is okay. The single most important thing to come out of this.

Notify your insurance company and explain the situation, if her insurance was not in effect then yours should cover it. Not an expert here but in Wisconsin at least we all have coverage for "uninsured motorist" as part of our coverage. Your insurance pays and then they go after the person if they have assets. Your auto should take care of the trailer as well as your truck.

Sorry this happened to you, it sucks, but you and yours are okay. A not so small blessing.

mustangtexas
08-20-2018, 07:07 PM
Yes I have already started the claim process on my insurance. The photo doesn't show very good but the frame of the trailer is pushed in a good 5 inches. She hit the side of the truck with the left rear of her car then the right front hit the trailer. That was a fast spin. Mazda RX8 so thankfully something small.

ttu
08-20-2018, 07:27 PM
First glad everyone is safe! trucks, cars and even boats can be replaced but lives can't.

I am surprised that she didn't have active insurance. Kansas really does a good job keeping their drivers off the road that don't have insurance that is current. I would have not have been surprised if it had happened in Oklahoma!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

you will be out of your deductible on your truck and boat insurance but hopefully and I am sure your insurance company will subrogate her and get your deductible back along with what they pay out. it may take time however. I have clients who have been hit by a uninsured motorist that have been making monthly payments up to 8 years.

moosehead
08-20-2018, 07:30 PM
+3, glad all are OK. Towing long-haul, I have always worried about evasive maneuvers even when all gear is squared away and running well.

j2nh
08-20-2018, 07:41 PM
In general, if you are towing your boat and the accident happens then all of the damages, including those to the boat/trailer, would be covered by your auto policy.

2RLAKE
08-20-2018, 08:42 PM
Very sorry but glad you are all good

pmkkdx
08-21-2018, 09:15 AM
glad everyone was okay!!!

Thrall
08-22-2018, 01:52 AM
Ouch, well at least it all looks driveable and didn't touch the boat!
After no injuries, not fcking up the boat is 2nd priority!

kscrib
08-22-2018, 03:27 AM
My wife was in an accident in June of this year that totaled her Highlander. She is OK, but it could have been much worse. The driver that hit her (my wife was stopped in a turn lane) had an insurance card with a valid date, so we thought we were going to be fine. After about a month of chasing a crappy police report, we find out that the at fault driver was using a fraudulent insurance card (fake). The policy number was not even the format for that company.

Our insurance covered our car via the uninsured motorist portion of our policy. We are out our deductible. We have been told that our rates won't increase, nor will we lose our accident free discount, etc. We have not had a policy renewal since the accident, so can't confirm that we kept our discounts yet. But can confirm we had to pay the deductible.

We had to fight our insurance company, they initially wanted to process the claim as a collision on our side vs uninsured motorist. We had to prove to the insurance company that the other driver was uninsured, vs out insurance doing that.

Wreck was June 14, we settled July 30 - and were without her car that entire time!!!!

uplandbird
08-22-2018, 09:45 AM
I know that interchange well between I35 and I70. Drive it all the time. And that rain was insane. Glad you are OK.

mustangtexas
08-22-2018, 11:22 AM
I called the lady that hit me to notify her (acting like she may not have known) that she didn't have coverage through the company on the card she showed the Deputy with hopes that in the stress of the moment she showed the wrong card. She never really answered me on that and sounded very groggy. Said she just got out of the hospital with a head injury and whiplash. At the accident scene she refused treatment. She goes on to tell me the accident wasn't her fault, I asked who she thought was at fault, she replied, "the rain". She then said that she would call her insurance company and then said that maybe she shouldn't be talking to me and hung up. Thankfully I have coverage for everything and being out the deductible is the price you pay now in the US as a lot of drivers get coverage just long enough to register their car and then cancel.

MC25
08-22-2018, 11:25 AM
I called the lady that hit me to notify her (acting like she may not have known) that she didn't have coverage through the company on the card she showed the Deputy with hopes that in the stress of the moment she showed the wrong card. She never really answered me on that and sounded very groggy. Said she just got out of the hospital with a head injury and whiplash. At the accident scene she refused treatment. She goes on to tell me the accident wasn't her fault, I asked who she thought was at fault, she replied, "the rain". She then said that she would call her insurance company and then said that maybe she shouldn't be talking to me and hung up. Thankfully I have coverage for everything and being out the deductible is the price you pay now in the US as a lot of drivers get coverage just long enough to register their car and then cancel.

Was there a witness testimony on the police report?!

Edit- not that it matters because of her lack of insurance. Rough situation. Similar to my accident in April, the lady claimed it wasn’t her fault either.

jbmccul
08-22-2018, 11:28 AM
Was there a witness testimony on the police report?!

Edit- not that it matters because of her lack of insurance. Rough situation. Similar to my accident in April, the lady claimed it wasnít her fault either.

Nobody will accept fault these days. The new status quo it not to accept fault and let the lawyers/insurance companies duke it out

MC25
08-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Nobody will accept fault these days. The new status quo it not to accept fault and let the lawyers/insurance companies duke it out

Yeah my accident happened April 23rd, and Iím still out my deductible lol

paintpollz
08-22-2018, 11:38 AM
i'd use a slide hammer on that trailer. pull it out and call it a day.

then with the insurance check I'd buy my wife a nice handbag and then blow the rest on a long weekend golf trip with the boys.

88 PS190
08-22-2018, 11:41 AM
i'd use a slide hammer on that trailer. pull it out and call it a day.

Trailer shop would probably cut that member out and weld in a new leg for a few hundred.

paintpollz
08-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Trailer shop would probably cut that member out and weld in a new leg for a few hundred.

so much will be left over for the hand bag and golf trip.

so great.

mustangtexas
08-22-2018, 12:45 PM
Yes on eye witness and they gave a written statement. The trailer is twisted. The bow no longer lines up with the tongue. Cutting out that section may allow the tongue to spring back. If I decide to go that route I would do the work myself as I owned a steel fab company for 7 years and retained several pieces of equipment into my home shop after the sale so experience and ability is there. Looking at all options.

John Johnson
08-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Even if she disputes liability your company will pay you under UM/UIM and go after her on a subro claim. You shouldn't be out of use too long. You probably won't get your deductible back.

mcmx2
08-22-2018, 02:04 PM
Yes on eye witness and they gave a written statement. The trailer is twisted. The bow no longer lines up with the tongue. Cutting out that section may allow the tongue to spring back. If I decide to go that route I would do the work myself as I owned a steel fab company for 7 years and retained several pieces of equipment into my home shop after the sale so experience and ability is there. Looking at all options.

I agree with keeping options open but the 2005 197 trailers are one of the worst trailers built. I thought I had bad luck when my spare tire weld broke off of the trailer and the tire was dragging on the ground, then I saw several others with the same issue on 2005 197 trailers. A couple years ago my trailer actually had the frame rust through in the center. I looked in the mirror as we were towing and the tires looked like they were towed out so I stopped and looked. It took me a minute to figure out what was wrong. The top of the center box beam was all that was holding the frame together and the bottom and sides had broken. I have pics but not on this computer. This trailer was wiped down, garage kept and never in salt water. I had a new Boatmate trailer made for my 197 in 2016. I think if you can get insurance to pickup a Boatmate trailer you will be ahead in the long run.

mustangtexas
08-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Agree on new trailer. Right now the Boatmate trailer is sitting at $4,500.00 with no options, single color. I plan to go after her in small claims court for the out of pocket if for no other reason than to make her think of me. Both insurance companies, truck/boat and trailer, said they will go after her as well.

paintpollz
08-22-2018, 03:53 PM
I agree with keeping options open but the 2005 197 trailers are one of the worst trailers built.

good point, they are absolutely awful. Mastercraft did a truly deplorable job.

Thrall
08-22-2018, 04:48 PM

Sounds like half my family...Low life, white trash, leaches...
Just bought my sister a(nother) car. Long story. I guarantee it will be insured to the minimum extent possible, just long enough to get a valid card and proof, then she will quickly become 1 of the 13%, lol.
Stats say that only 13% of drivers are uninsured. I'm sure under insured is higher. But I'm also certain that the number of accidents caused by or involving uninsured drivers is disproportionatley higher than the 13% leads one to believe.
Mouth breathing bottom feeders are probably not generally the best drivers, having failed at everything else in life give it a high probability they suck at driving too, nor do they have the safest cars, under the influence more, etc.