PDA

View Full Version : 2014 X30 Starting Issues

jmarwill
08-20-2018, 03:08 PM
Hi all - I'm relatively new to Mastercraft (previous Malibu Wakesetter owner) and new to this forum. I appreciate any advice you can give me. I have a 2014 X30 with the 6.2L engine. I've been having starting issues this summer that only happens when the boat has been sitting for a few hours or over night.

When the boat has been sitting for a few hours and I press the start button, nothing happens. If I turn the battery switch off and then back on, the boat starts right up. Once the boat starts - it runs great and can be started just fine on subsequent attempts (as long as the boat has not been sitting unused for several hours).

I had the battery switch replaced a few weeks ago and I'm still having the same issue. The dealer thinks that the start button might also be bad. What other components might contribute to this problem?
Thank you in advance for your advice!
Jeff

CrashCourse316
08-20-2018, 03:22 PM
When the boat has been sitting for a few hours and I press the start button, nothing happens. If I turn the battery switch off and then back on, the boat starts right up.

Is it consistently the exact same every time you do it? dead after a long period and upon switching batteries off/on it works fine with no issues.

Next time you have the issue. try pulling the safety lanyard then put it back in and see if it works instead of turning off the battery power by switch. Need to try and narrow down the exact location of the issue other than its not your battery or power switch to the boat.

Cedaw
08-20-2018, 05:53 PM
I had an issue on my 2011 X55 similar to this, it wouldn't start intermittently. Tried jumping batteries and it wouldn't start. Got drug off lake and when I got home it would start. I replaced both batteries even though they tested good. Pulled the starter several times had it tested twice and replaced starter solenoid once. The dealer replaced a perfectly good ground cable. I finally jumped the battery ground terminal to the motor mount with one cable and it would start every time. The dash, stereo, and BIG screen worked the whole time. Finally tracked it down to main ground contact on engine near starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmarwill
08-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Great feedback - I’ll check on the lanyard switch next time. To answer your question- yes, the no-starting issue is consistent. Always happens when the boat has been sitting for several hours or more and turning the battery switch seems to allow the boat to start.

maniacmikes
08-23-2018, 11:47 AM
I always think with intermittent electrical problems to start with checking all the grounds. It is probably something stupid like that. I hope you get it fixed, once you do, you will have years to trouble free service. I have a 2014 X-30 with the 6.2 and have just under 780 hours on it. It's never left me stranded.

btriantos
08-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Hi all - I'm relatively new to Mastercraft (previous Malibu Wakesetter owner) and new to this forum. I appreciate any advice you can give me. I have a 2014 X30 with the 6.2L engine. I've been having starting issues this summer that only happens when the boat has been sitting for a few hours or over night.

When the boat has been sitting for a few hours and I press the start button, nothing happens. If I turn the battery switch off and then back on, the boat starts right up. Once the boat starts - it runs great and can be started just fine on subsequent attempts (as long as the boat has not been sitting unused for several hours).

I had the battery switch replaced a few weeks ago and I'm still having the same issue. The dealer thinks that the start button might also be bad. What other components might contribute to this problem?
Thank you in advance for your advice!
Jeff

Nothing happens as it doesn't turn over, or turns over, but doesn't start?

CrashCourse316
08-23-2018, 02:44 PM
Great feedback - I’ll check on the lanyard switch next time. To answer your question- yes, the no-starting issue is consistent. Always happens when the boat has been sitting for several hours or more and turning the battery switch seems to allow the boat to start.

It's interesting that the flip off and on consistently fixes it. It makes me think the system has a short somewhere maybe and it shuts down automatically after a period of time. I don't know if boat systems have that kind of feature but I know a number of items that do something like that. once it shuts off it will not allow to power on until it resets by losing all power.

Since it has a consistent repeatable issue and fix, it seems less like a intermittent issue. At the same time though it might be an intermittent issue that causes the consistent issue..... -_- yay boats....

jmarwill
08-23-2018, 02:57 PM
doesn't turn over and there is no indication that the starter is even engaged or has a signal to try to start the engine. There is literally no sound or anything that happens when I push the start button on the initial attempt.

CrashCourse316
08-23-2018, 02:59 PM
doesn't turn over and there is no indication that the starter is even engaged or has a signal to try to start the engine. There is literally no sound or anything that happens when I push the start button on the initial attempt.

Did you get to try the lanyard safety switch test yet?