PDA

View Full Version : Possible MC Newbie here

aarvig
08-19-2018, 11:48 PM
Hey everyone. Possible MC newbie here. I have owned a bow rider for 5 years, bought it new, paid cash, love having a paid for boat.
Well, we are outgrowing it rapidly and the kids/extended family have been getting into tow sports. We also use our boat for shore cruising on Lake Superior (yes, that one) a couple of times a year if the near shore forecasts are good.
I found a good deal on a new XT 21. We all love it. We went for a test drive with the local dealer and he introduced us to surfing...much easier on this old dude than wake boarding. Anyway, I'm thinking of taking the plunge.
Questions:
Its a crap load of money. I'm gonna pay half cash, half finance. Probably going to do a 20 year loan so I have low payments in the event of a lean month but plan on paying it off in 7-10 years.
Does this sound reasonable or are most of you check writers for the full amount?

Is the XT21 a good shore cruising boat? I know it isn't a bow rider but will it still be enjoyable?

We trailer to a public access which drives me nuts but there is no other option. How do you guys prevent the inevitable dock damage putting your boats in and out of the water?

How has your experience been with the depreciation curve?

How has your experience been with long term maintenance?

LDA6339
08-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the forum and possibly the family! First off, these hackers are not par for the course so bear with us on those guys.

Financing or not is a personal question only you can answer, there are older used MC boats you can find that would fit what you're ready to pay for with liquid cash that are still going to be great boats, especially if you only need it to surf well.

There are worse boats than the XT-21 for rough water, but definitely way better. It depends on how big the water is on your lake.

Bumpers and be careful is really all you can do. And practice.

Most of it you can do yourself pretty easily, especially with the help of other forum members on here. Your dealer could also tackle it for a lot more money than the DIY approach if they are close. For reference, I knew nothing about boat maintenance and service on our past boats, but with the help of the forum, have done everything up to 315 hours over the last three seasons.

calebbroege
08-20-2018, 01:31 AM
Do not buy new unless youíre dead set on it. Also will find better deals on slightly used boats the later into the season you wait if you can wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtch_atl
08-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Also, if you are buying slightly used, ask about the warranty transfer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2RLAKE
08-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Not sure I can answer your personal finance question ... I paid cash for all mine but I'm fairly blessed with a great job that enables me to have a lake house and a farm

There is nothing like buying a new car and/or a ne boat ... yes there is depreciation. My X10 I bought a year old and got an incredible deal on it

Good luck

Fox197
08-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Iím not sure how the finance works in the USA but in Aus we have a maximum of 7 years but that is hard to get. Most get a 5 year loan. I was lucky enough to pay mine off in 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CrashCourse316
08-20-2018, 12:17 PM
I just bought a x-80 from Kentucky and drove to get it. Paid less than a new boat of any type pretty much. Financed the whole thing until the other boat sold. But then again my bank is crazy and let me do 0% down and only a 4.49 interest rate as long as the boat appraise for at least what the loan amount was for. I'll be working on making payments as much as possible to finish the loan off in less than 15-20 years. I might end up selling it before then in exchange for another boat after my kid is at an age to start water-sports though because the wake is huge and steep with no ballast so it makes it kinda hard to ride a beginner without killing them. anyways...New boats are awesome but have the big value hit at the start. the older you buy the less of a hit you'll take.

As far as maintenance goes. I have had a few issues but none of the issues cost me more then $40. Fuel pump connector corroded ($0), Exhaust host worked loose over the years before I had it and pushed the exhaust host into the belt making a hole($30 and a lot of elbow grease behind the engine). Impeller burned out due to broken seal on water filter($40). I've put about 70 hours on the boat this season. 250 hours up to 320 now. No regrets other than I knew it's not the best "wake" making boat out there. The used price was good. appraised higher then I paid. Not the cheapest one I could find on the market but it's in great condition with only a few minor cosmetic issues. I expect (depending on how many hours I put into it) Ill get my moneys worth out of it and be able to sell for a good price.

swc5150
08-20-2018, 05:35 PM
I think it's a smart move to buy new, especially when you get into a new non-current. There are fantastic deals to be had once the new model years hit the showroom.

Everyone has an opinion on financing. Some finance their home and pay cash for toys. I prefer no mortgage but having a boat loan. Only you can decide what works for you.

jdubbya81
08-20-2018, 05:59 PM
We just purchased a new XT21 and absolutely love it. It was the perfect size for my family and friends, and can do it all. I'll think you'll be very, very happy with it.