PDA

View Full Version : Malibu question for a friend?

Covi
05-09-2017, 05:41 PM
The add reads something like this (see below). I thought that I've heard Edelbrock does not make marine carb, etc. If this is the case what is the problem using auto Vs. marine? Is this add reading ok for you guys?

330 hp Vortec motor (with Edelbrock intake) Edelbrock 600 c.f.m. carb (still have original, rebuilt, 750 c.f.m. as well) DUI distributor (still have original, rebuilt, Thunderbolt V as well) Mercruiser exhaust manifolds

waterlogged882
05-09-2017, 07:05 PM
The add reads something like this (see below). I thought that I've heard Edelbrock does not make marine carb, etc. If this is the case what is the problem using auto Vs. marine? Is this add reading ok for you guys?

330 hp Vortec motor (with Edelbrock intake) Edelbrock 600 c.f.m. carb (still have original, rebuilt, 750 c.f.m. as well) DUI distributor (still have original, rebuilt, Thunderbolt V as well) Mercruiser exhaust manifoldsEdlebrock does make a marine carb. Lift the spark arrestor from the carb and look (keep reading).

Auto VS marine: Auto: 1) illegal from the point of view from USCG and can be fined by law enforcement agencies on the water. 2) Dangerous as all get out. If a fuel related connection, pump, or pressure-retaining fuel component fails, the fuel has to have a contained place to go (down the throat of the carb.) thus the J-tube configuration (or similar) on a marine carb. That is what directs fuel to a safe place in lieu of dispersing into a confined space (under the engine cover) via an auto carb. Under the hood of a car is not considered a confined space, thus the difference.

Auto carb: If one does not value their family and friends, take the risk of possible explosion and injury. Just don't do it near me (or you in this instance)..... Don't worry about the reasoning of the fine. That's easy............

Marine carb: Family and friends are the very reason I'd not turn the ignition key unless it was right.

Nice looking engine from the point of cleanliness... carpet looks OK too... :-) no leaves...

$0.02

Covi
05-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Thank you waterlogged this is what I was looking for. Much, much appreciated!

Edlebrock does make a marine carb. Lift the spark arrestor from the carb and look (keep reading).

Auto VS marine: 1) illegal from the point of view from USCG and can be fined by law enforcement agencies on the water. 2) Dangerous as all get out. If a fuel related connection, pump, or pressure-retaining fuel component fails, the fuel has to have a contained place to go (down the throat of the carb.) thus the J-tube configuration on a carb. That is what directs fuel to a safe place in lieu of dispersing into a confined space (under the engine cover) via an auto carb. Under the hood of a car is not considered a confined space, thus the difference.

If one does not value their family and friends, take the risk of possible explosion and injury. Just don't do it near me ot you in this instance)..... Don't worry about the reasoning of the fine. That's easy............ Family and friends are the very reason I'd not turn the key unless it was right.

$0.02