PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Shasta this summer

KMS
05-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Myself and two other families are renting a houseboat out of Packers Bay in July this year.
I am a long time Lake Powell houseboater but I have never been to Shasta.

Just curious what part or parts of the lake do you guys suggest. We'll be surfing and wake boarding and exploring the lake. We will also have a couple of Sea-Doos with us. I'm looking for a quiet place to beach the houseboat. I'm not looking for wild and crazy, I'm looking for peace and quiet. But above all, I'm looking for flat water. Preferably within a reasonable distance from one of the marinas. That way we can run in every day for fuel and supplies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

moosehead
05-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Will ask a buddy for specific beta. He is a former Californian who has done both LP and Shasta multiple times, and just bought a houseboat on Shasta.

He chose to put roots down in Shasta for all the reasons you listed as priorities plus others: flat water, easy anchor/beaching, quiet, less work and planning, significantly less weather exposure. Obviously helps that it has since refilled from several years ago low water levels.

robisjo
05-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Myself and two other families are renting a houseboat out of Packers Bay in July this year.
I am a long time Lake Powell houseboater but I have never been to Shasta.

Just curious what part or parts of the lake do you guys suggest. We'll be surfing and wake boarding and exploring the lake. We will also have a couple of Sea-Doos with us. I'm looking for a quiet place to beach the houseboat. I'm not looking for wild and crazy, I'm looking for peace and quiet. But above all, I'm looking for flat water. Preferably within a reasonable distance from one of the marinas. That way we can run in every day for fuel and supplies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

PM sent to you. Lake level is great this year and was last year as well. Awesome lake.

JLowder
05-09-2017, 08:20 PM
I own a houseboat at Shasta. PM me with your cell and I'll call you and tell you where to go.

Jared
05-09-2017, 11:18 PM
I grew up on the lake and head back every summer. Nothing like a dawn run across glass there. Marinas are pretty well spaced so you are never very far from gas and supplies. Great area for the family to enjoy. We'll be up in June this year, PM me if you want some specifics.

D. Newland
05-10-2017, 03:36 PM
If anyone has been to both Powell and Shasta, can you give a compare/contrast?

I grew up in the Bay Area and now live in Phoenix. Been to Powell a dozen times, but never Shasta. It's always been on my mind to houseboat there...just don't know if it's worth the 1100 mile trip when Powell is only 250 miles away from me.

lashburn1
05-11-2017, 12:10 AM
If anyone has been to both Powell and Shasta, can you give a compare/contrast?

I grew up in the Bay Area and now live in Phoenix. Been to Powell a dozen times, but never Shasta. It's always been on my mind to houseboat there...just don't know if it's worth the 1100 mile trip when Powell is only 250 miles away from me.

we are thinking about both Also...
but both are 11hrs away

Jared
05-11-2017, 10:50 AM
10 hours for me and both worth the drive.