PDA

View Full Version : '93 Stars and Stripes 190 - resto and more

skiviskaves
05-08-2017, 06:04 PM
I've dreamed of owning a MC since I first skied behind one as a kid. I've spent my entire life skiing behind boats that just weren't quite enough to pull me out comfortably on one ski, and I grew accustomed to dragging half way across the lake while taking in gallons of water just to get up. I'm getting too old for that crap, and this year I decided would be the year for me to live my dream and buy a MC.
As I am not super wealthy the boat would have to be used, very used, and the right price. And I found just what I was looking for here on TeamTalk in the for sale section, a '93 S&S 190. Despite the glamorous add stating "CLEAN" when I spoke with the owner and video chatted I found that the boat was dirty and needed quite a bit of TLC. Well, those things I can do.
It was in Washington, and I'm in Wisconsin, but it was the right deal at the right time for the right boat. I hired a Uship driver willing to drag my new pride and joy over the Rocky Mountains, through wind, rain, snow, and hail, across the country on the original 1993 tires, and he did so in fine style. 2 wheel bearings were replaced along the trip but otherwise things went smoothly.
She arrived on a Saturday morning at my cabin in Northern WI, dirty, scuzzy, wet and a little moldy, but it was love at first sight. I knew she would clean up. The interior was a little too nasty to sit in at first so I spent that Saturday cleaning it up enough to get in the water for a quick test run just before the sun went down. The seats have some stains that I'm still working through, however no rips!
When I dropped her in the water she fired right up and ran like a rapped ape, I was pushing 45 mph before I knew it. Then after two laps around our small lake the boat bogged way down. Once the motor is warm it can hardly get out of its own way.
Here's a couple photos as received. Lots of details on the restoration to come, and I know I'll need the MC Team to help me with questions, so thanks in advance. I'm hoping to restore the boat basically to original...I love the stars and stripes package so much. The adventure begins!!!

skiviskaves
05-08-2017, 06:24 PM
As received...

skiviskaves
05-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Got her cleaned up enough for a test run. The boat runs great cold, but then bogs and stutters when it warms up. It has the original Holley 4010 which appears rather tarnished. Although the motor behaves like it is flooding while warm it does not appear that the electric choke is stuck open. After messing around with it for a while on the lake I have decided that the carb would have to come off. I first thought I would make the switch to the 4160 as everyone seems to recommend, however I'm kind of stuck on the idea of restoring this boat to stock condition, and have also read that the 4010 is a good carb when clean and properly tuned. I was tempted to try rebuilding the 4010 on my own, however I was also a little scarred of losing time on the water fiddling with it. I found a place called Guaranteed Carburetors that will send up a remanufactured carb tuned specifically to factory specification of my boat. They say it will bolt on a go with very little to no adjustments required, and comes with a 1 year warranty. I decided to go this route and have my remanufactured 4010 on order. Will keep you posted on that.

skiviskaves
05-09-2017, 12:03 PM
The cleaning continues.
On the docket last weekend I had more cleaning, oil change, teak restoration, and getting all those old incorrect stickers off.
After emptying the boat of all contents I climbed all the way into the bow with the shop vac and got all the carpet vacuumed from front to back. I started on the interior clean up with a good Simple Green scrub-down. Some Shout took the first layer of grease off the motor and gas talk. Another deep clean of the interior will be required, probably the last step of this project.
The oil change went pretty smooth, did it just after pulling the boat off the water so the oil was warm. I used a hand pump to pump the oil out through the dipstick tube. I went with Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40, Motorcraft filter FL1A.
I spent about 3 hours cleaning and prepping the swim platform for oil...what a pain but the results were worth it. I started with a mixture of 2 cups hot water, 1 cup TSP, 1/2 gallon of bleach, and I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. After 2 hours of scrubbing I did a quick onceover with the pressure washer. Sun dried, very light sanding, and then went to town with the teak oil, 3 coats thus far. Can't wait to swim off this thing!
A heat gun came in handy for all the incorrect decals. Every decal on the boat came off. A little lacquer thinner helped with the excess glue. It is apparent that this boat has been re-stickered in different ways at least 3 times! After making a diagram of what I think were the original sticker locations I started to buff the boat out to remove the oxidation. A bit more buffing will be in order prior to applying a new original decal kit.

zsqure
05-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Nicely done, congratulations you have a keeper. Mike G can help you out with decals.

brucemac
05-09-2017, 12:37 PM
that's awesome! nice work and congratulations!

ttu
05-09-2017, 12:56 PM
great read! also enjoyed the pictures. congrats!!:toast::toast:

swc5150
05-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Love the story, the pics, and the boat! The '93 S&S is one the best looking boats of all time in my opinion. Also IMHO, the best MC slalom hull until the '14 was released. Congrats on your find!

Maristar210
05-09-2017, 01:11 PM
Purdy

stig
05-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Congrats on the boat! Talk to thatsmrmastercraft, he's the resident carb expert on here.

ahhudgins
05-09-2017, 01:24 PM
I didn't think that the boat was "as advertised" due to the lack of quality pictures and no one was jumping all over it. Still a great deal for you if all it takes is a little TLC.

AZDave
05-09-2017, 01:29 PM
I went through the whole rebuild thing with my 4010. My advice, don't go with another 4010. Get a 4160 and don't look back. It is a much more reliable carb. The 4010, even at 300 hours never idled and performed like the new 4160. But, I am sure you will get it right, one way or another. One downside to that boat, you will never like skiing behind any other boat as much. It's that good.

EricB
05-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Looking pretty dang nice. Elbow grease always pays off. Where in northern Wisco?

Carts2Wheels
05-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Awesome thread. Thank you for sharing. I was curious about this boat but was way too far away to even entertain it. Good to see you're going to bring it back to a glorious life.

Snipe
05-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Great find and terrific job on the clean up. A real BEAUTY for sure. I'm as curious as EricB where in Wisconsin are you. We are on the "Chain" in Three Lakes. :toast:

skiviskaves
05-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Hey! Thanks to all for the kind words so far! I'm excited and proud to be part of the MC community! I have a feeling the encouragement here will help motivate the extra efforts required to restore this boat to its former glory.

I didn't think that the boat was "as advertised" due to the lack of quality pictures and no one was jumping all over it. Still a great deal for you if all it takes is a little TLC.

Yes indeed the add was misleading at best, it took some honest discussions to get the whole story, however when the rubber hit the road the seller was for the most part forthright about the condition. The photos in the for sale add were actually taken in 2015 when the seller first bought the boat. Over the following two years the boat was stored outside in rainy Washington and neglected a little. There are flaws in the gelcoat, the worse being a pretty good rash in the port side rear corner right in the middle of the red...that one goes deep, not sure how I will address that yet. I would consider the boat to have arrived as advertised, I had prepared myself for the worst and knew she would need a lot of TLC. Overall I think I got a pretty killer deal considering the condition and factoring the shipping charges.
Do these photos look familiar? :rolleyes:https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=65495

Looking pretty dang nice. Elbow grease always pays off. Where in northern Wisco?

Thanks! The boat will be turning heads on Waubee Lake in Lakewood, WI. Come over for a pull!

Prostar 190
05-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Looking good!

2RLAKE
05-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the 93 club ... nice job

skiviskaves
05-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Pretty excited, my new (remanufactured) carb is scheduled to arrive today...hoping to run up north Sunday, bolt it on, and hit the water for some field testing. I have a few random questions, please chime in if you have any knowledge on any of these:

My boat should have been equipped with gas springs for the engine cover lift, however those are gone including one mounting bracket on the cover side. Does anyone know the proper specs for ordering new springs, and where I might find a cover side lift bracket.

Should there be some kind of lift spring for the glovebox?...there isn't any way to hold mine open except manually.

The radio housing cover is cracked in several spots. Are these covers more or less universal? Can I buy one that will mount using the existing holes? Anyone know of generic options for these, or what you would consider to be my best option?

I've had a couple inches of water in the bilge, the pump turns on and makes noise however it is not emptying the bilge. Should the bilge pump pretty much empty the bilge completely? Or do I just not have enough water in there for it to pick up?

One of my speedo pickups has a broken hose right where it connects to the pickup. Is there a way to re-connect the hose to the pickup? Do I need to buy a new pickup? How is a new pickup patched in to the existing hose? I will get a photo of this situation on Sunday to help you better understand.

Thanks!!!

AZDave
05-12-2017, 12:44 PM
I got my gas shocks from attwood. Part number SL14-30-1. It's a 20" spring. I might have my old radio cover, send a picture of yours. They don't make those anymore, but the new ones will work with slight modification.

Covi
05-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Great story and write up. I really enjoy hearing about long distance purchases. You've done a wonderful job getting it cleaned up. I'm sure that it will only get better. It won't be long until you get it right where you want it.

Miss Rita
05-12-2017, 03:08 PM
One of my speedo pickups has a broken hose right where it connects to the pickup. Is there a way to re-connect the hose to the pickup? Do I need to buy a new pickup? How is a new pickup patched in to the existing hose?

This is the easiest fix. (they're called pitot tubes, BTW) If you can't see a small barb fitting on the pitot, then it probably needs to be replaced. The OEM Airguide pitots are no longer available, but a generic aftermarket version works fine. Don't drill new holes in the boat, but alter the mounting plate appropriately. Try to blow out any water or debris in the rubber line from the front before hooking it up to your new pitot.

Another hint: if the hole in the pitot is plugged with debris, twirl a 1/16" drill bit in your fingers to clear it out.

skiviskaves
05-16-2017, 05:45 PM
I got up to the cabin for one night on Sunday and dropped the newly remanufactured 4010 in the boat...long story short, the carb fixed my hot running issues. The boat runs great and I'm ecstatic to get out skiing this summer! I still think I'm going to do a basic tune-up...one of the plug wires is currently electrical taped to the distributer cap. I got some answers to my previous questions, and some more questions arose. Your help is always appreciated!

Strange thing with this boat. The previous owner bought it in 2015 with 300 hrs, now it has 800 hrs. I commented to him that he must have used the boat a ton over those 2 years, but he said that he rarely used it and had no idea how the hours piled on so quickly. I noticed out on the lake Sunday that the hour meter was at 799 when I dropped the boat in, 15 minutes later it was at 804!!! What's going on here? The tach is stuck at 1000 rpm when I turn off the boat, however it seems to be accurate when the boat is running and drops to 600 at idle.
When I removed the original carb there was a 1/4" (at least) foam-like gasket under it, photo attached. The remanufactured carb came with what I would consider to be a normal gasket, probably about 1/16th or 1/32nd thick. Is there a reason for that 1/4" foam? I didn't install it back on there...am I going to have any issues as a result. Is that the stock gasket?
I have attached a photo of the cracked radio cover, hopefully AZDave has an extra otherwise I'll be asking the group for recommendations or trying to retrofit something else.
The bilge pump works and I found out the hard way! The boat was running so great and I took off from the boat launch like a bolt of lightning, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when I felt my feet were getting wet...I forgot to put in the drain plug! The water breached the floor level as I scrambled to plug the hole. Almost sunk my new baby, but I got the plug in, and let the bilge work hard to empty the hull.
I have also attached a photo of my pitot tube situation, any more insight on that would be great.

Got my wife and daughter out on a beautiful Mother's Day. My wife, who is also my ski driver, is also in love with our new machine.

1993bluestarsnstripes
05-16-2017, 07:21 PM
Just an FYI.........I have 2 - 1993 MCs and both of them have hour meters that click off 10 minutes for every 6 minutes of actual time. Not a neat deal....... but it is what it is.

AZDave
05-16-2017, 08:03 PM
I do not have the cover. I must have tossed it. Take the unit out and go to a marine store, you might find a match. PM a phone number and I will forward pics of some parts you may want. Pitot tube pick up, and stereo cover.

c_craig
05-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Interesting stuff here. My cover was broken when I bought my '93. Never noticed the hour meter problem, but mine's only at about 550 hours, so I don't think its running "hot". I'll have to watch that this summer.

tatronation
05-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Subscribed. I love the 91-94 190s. Congrats on the new boat! fellow wisconsinite and prostar 190 owner here as well.

skiviskaves
06-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Alright, finally got another weekend with my boat. First, the good news, I got to slalom behind it! My wife got some driver lessons on the new rig, some good practice behind the wheel, and is getting a feel for the throttle and the boat in general. By the end of the summer she'll be my only trusted driver. My wife also got to ski behind the boat,...what a difference getting her out of the water, she used to struggle behind my old boat, now she's up so quick she doesn't even have time to over-think it.
Mechanically, the boat still has some secrets.

I noticed the battery has sometimes been week at startup. This time out I charged the battery for a few hours the night before, and it seemed to have full charge when I took off the charger (the night before). Then in the morning I dumped the boat in, but the battery was too week to even turn it over. I ended up jump starting the boat off the truck and just keeping it running while playing with it on the lake for the next couple hours. Got the boat back in the garage, pulled the ground wires off the battery, and checked for voltage draw. The large ground wire is drawing about 11.5 volts when the boat is turned off, the smaller ground wire is drawing about 2.5 volts. I pulled the radio fuse but the draw remained. Any ideas on what could be drawing down my battery? I brought the battery home for a load test, but I really think the draw is what's killing me. Worst case I plan on adding a quick disconnect to the battery.
For some reason my new Holley 4010 seems to be vapor locked after sitting a couple weeks, I had to use starting fluid to get her running. I noticed that the electric choke doesn't seem to be doing anything on startup, wouldn't you think that it would be doing something on a cold start? Got the radio removed and am still looking for a new radio cover/housing. The mounting holes in the dash for the cover measures 9" center to center on width, 2" center to center on height. Any ideas for a new radio cover/housing?
The hour meter is still rolling an hour about every 10 minutes. The tach reads 1000 rpm with the motor off, but reads accurately when running. The temp gauge also reads high, around 120-140 when the boat is cool and off.
Despite the little bugs I'm working through, I love this thing, love skiing it, love driving it, just love it. Looking forward to getting her all tightened up, squared away and just enjoying it.
Here's a photo of the interior out on the lake, and one at the launch.
Thanks for your continued advice!

h_2_o
06-19-2017, 03:57 PM
I'm having a similar issue with my '92 electrical however it does not seem as bad as yours, sadly I have yet to find the gremlin if i find mine first I will post here.

waterlogged882
06-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Alright, finally got another weekend with my boat. First, the good news, I got to slalom behind it! My wife got some driver lessons on the new rig, some good practice behind the wheel, and is getting a feel for the throttle and the boat in general. By the end of the summer she'll be my only trusted driver. My wife also got to ski behind the boat,...what a difference getting her out of the water, she used to struggle behind my old boat, now she's up so quick she doesn't even have time to over-think it.
Mechanically, the boat still has some secrets.

I noticed the battery has sometimes been week at startup. This time out I charged the battery for a few hours the night before, and it seemed to have full charge when I took off the charger (the night before). Then in the morning I dumped the boat in, but the battery was too week to even turn it over. I ended up jump starting the boat off the truck and just keeping it running while playing with it on the lake for the next couple hours. Got the boat back in the garage, pulled the ground wires off the battery, and checked for voltage draw. The large ground wire is drawing about 11.5 volts when the boat is turned off, the smaller ground wire is drawing about 2.5 volts. I pulled the radio fuse but the draw remained. Any ideas on what could be drawing down my battery? I brought the battery home for a load test, but I really think the draw is what's killing me. Worst case I plan on adding a quick disconnect to the battery.
For some reason my new Holley 4010 seems to be vapor locked after sitting a couple weeks, I had to use starting fluid to get her running. I noticed that the electric choke doesn't seem to be doing anything on startup, wouldn't you think that it would be doing something on a cold start? Got the radio removed and am still looking for a new radio cover/housing. The mounting holes in the dash for the cover measures 9" center to center on width, 2" center to center on height. Any ideas for a new radio cover/housing?
The hour meter is still rolling an hour about every 10 minutes. The tach reads 1000 rpm with the motor off, but reads accurately when running. The temp gauge also reads high, around 120-140 when the boat is cool and off.
Despite the little bugs I'm working through, I love this thing, love skiing it, love driving it, just love it. Looking forward to getting her all tightened up, squared away and just enjoying it.
Here's a photo of the interior out on the lake, and one at the launch.
Thanks for your continued advice!
Looks like you're in good shape.

So here's my $0.02...take it or leave it.... :)

Get your wife a PerfectPass. Sooner the better for all. That is a nice feature to have all around.

Buy a new battery and move the battery from the back to the front for several reasons. Regardless, move it up front, and run all new cables 2/0 GA for hot and ground. Plan on a second battery setup if you are really thinking on a backup and a disconnect. Genuinedealz dot com does a great job on building cables at a reasonable cost.

Install a new single wire alternator. Put new wire anywhere you see fit. Tinned wired. Shrink crimp connectors. Anything old should be considered suspect as you go....I built an entire new harness from the engine to the dash with a new fuse box. Circuit breakers are nice too. Wiring one of these 93s is easy peasy.

There is a thread here from way back about a nice custom built radio bin. Worked great too. Otherwise there are standard kits and covers available with a few searches on a search engine. I see them often.

Buy a new hour meter and install it. Look for a tach with one built into it or run a separate one on the engine side under the engine cover. Your tach is OK at 1000 when off. If it is good when running, that is all that matters. I found a new tach for a 92 that fit into a guy's 93 that I rebuilt last month. Works like a charm.

Check the ground on your temp gauge and all grounds for that matter.

Loose the 4010 and find a 4160. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts.....then read my posts about how not to spring the metal fuel line before you even touch a wrench for the carb. Read that again.....

The choke can go bad. An inexpensive fix but necessary. It should open and close with power from the ignition switch. The choke is part of the ignition system and when not wired correctly, the engine may not turn over, quite like a neutral safety switch, so you evidently have the correct terminations on the choke. Just throwing this out there.

Remember the gauges are daisy-chained from one to the other so a gremlin has a lot of places to hide.

Merely my $0.02. I rebuilt a 93 a few years back and put more money into it than I paid for the boat... :D

I like your truck better than the boat.... Looks good....

Good luck and enjoy the boat.... You're at the fun part now....

skiviskaves
06-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Looks like you're in good shape.

So here's my $0.02...take it or leave it.... :)

Get your wife a PerfectPass. Sooner the better for all. That is a nice feature to have all around.

Buy a new battery and move the battery from the back to the front for several reasons. Regardless, move it up front, and run all new cables 2/0 GA for hot and ground. Plan on a second battery setup if you are really thinking on a backup and a disconnect. Genuinedealz dot com does a great job on building cables at a reasonable cost.

Install a new single wire alternator. Put new wire anywhere you see fit. Tinned wired. Shrink crimp connectors. Anything old should be considered suspect as you go....I built an entire new harness from the engine to the dash with a new fuse box. Circuit breakers are nice too. Wiring one of these 93s is easy peasy.

There is a thread here from way back about a nice custom built radio bin. Worked great too.
Otherwise there are standard kits and covers available with a few searches on a search engine. I see them often.

Buy a new hour meter and install it. Look for a tach with one built into it or run a separate one on the engine side under the engine cover. Your tach is OK at 1000 when off. If it is good when running, that is all that matters. I found a new tach for a 92 that fit into a guy's 93 that I rebuilt last month. Works like a charm.

Check the ground on your temp gauge and all grounds for that matter.

Loose the 4010 and find a 4160. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts.....

You can dick around with this thing for two or three more summers or make it right now. :D

Remember the gauges are daisy-chained from one to the other so a gremlin has a lot of places to hide.

Merely my $0.02. I rebuilt a 93 a few years back and put more money into it than I paid for the boat... :D

I like your truck better than the boat.... Looks good....

Thanks for all of the advice! Some stuff is more than I'd like to screw with right now...perfect pass (I wish, maybe someday), 2nd battery (not sure why I'd need 2 batteries), new alternator (maybe if this one isn't working). I'm a proponent of "if it ain't broke..." I don't have a ton of money to throw at this thing so I will likely be on the 2-3 summer dick-around program. Just bought a newly rebuilt 4010, gotta run it. Will definitely consider adding a new hour meter for record purposes, just in case I were ever wanting to sell it. And will poke around behind the dash and check some grounds. Also, where are these scratch and dent OEM radio housings? I can't seem to find them online.
Thanks for the complement on my truck. I actually bought that truck to tow my last boat, the truck is a 77 and the boat is a 79...period package. When I apply the stars decals to my MC I am considering doing stars all the way down the side of the truck as well. :cool: Thanks again!

waterlogged882
06-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all of the advice! Some stuff is more than I'd like to screw with right now...perfect pass (I wish, maybe someday), 2nd battery (not sure why I'd need 2 batteries), new alternator (maybe if this one isn't working). I'm a proponent of "if it ain't broke..." I don't have a ton of money to throw at this thing so I will likely be on the 2-3 summer dick-around program. Just bought a newly rebuilt 4010, gotta run it. Will definitely consider adding a new hour meter for record purposes, just in case I were ever wanting to sell it. And will poke around behind the dash and check some grounds. Also, where are these scratch and dent OEM radio housings? I can't seem to find them online.
Thanks for the complement on my truck. I actually bought that truck to tow my last boat, the truck is a 77 and the boat is a 79...period package. When I apply the stars decals to my MC I am considering doing stars all the way down the side of the truck as well. :cool: Thanks again!I share your sentiments on the budget and the money pit..... I do. Like I said, you're at the fun part so just enjoy..... I'll look around for a radio bin and see what I come up with.

waterlogged882
06-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Radio bin link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-marine-radio-cover-installation-kit-black/9542827.p?skuId=9542827&ref=06&loc=01&ksid=32c0ec0b-c928-4980-81e0-2769c1fc1f79&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg196568&ksdevice=c)

and here (https://www.crutchfield.com/g_267250/Marine-Radio-Covers-Stereo-Mounts.html?tp=61761)

Look on Amazon for waterproof radio covers, etc.

I see a few out there and I have seen one like the 93 OEM a while back. I'll keep looking. Seems like I bought one for the 93 I did.

stars93
06-19-2017, 05:29 PM
When I apply the stars decals to my MC I am considering doing stars all the way down the side of the truck as well. :cool: Thanks again!

That would look awesome!!

ahhudgins
06-19-2017, 07:11 PM
I like the truck too. I had a 77 F100 short bed that I bought with a blown up 300 and 3 speed. I put in a 302 and a sub-low 4 speed. It would pull a house off the foundation.

skiviskaves
07-10-2017, 06:43 PM
The boat is coming along nicely. I took some vacation around the 4th of July and got to spend 10 days with the her!
I got the new radio housing fit up and secured nicely, ended up going with a Rockville Marine housing, seems more heavy duty than the last one and I can't complain at $17...https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/rwsg4b/.
Also took time to buff out the entire boat again. What a difference that made! And after the buffing it was time for the much anticipated stars and new lettering to go on. I cheaped out a little on the decals and wasn't able to get the "stars and stripes 190" logo, but that saved me over $100! I paid about $80 on ebay for the whole kit, nice 10 year marine grade vinyl, and it came with 36 stars so I have the option of doing my truck too. It was a process...I'm anal about stuff like this, but the decals went on nicely and I am happy.
Next I wired in a kill switch for the battery to cut out that mystery power draw I've been seeing while the boat isn't running. Broke my heart but I had to drill a hole in the boat to mount the switch. It turned out looking clean and almost factory installed though. Ultimately after some more testing I think I will need to put a new battery in the boat, but the old Optima Blue top had enough kick left to get me out on the water for the week.
The boat went in the water on 7/2 and I got to ski every day for a week, often several runs per day! I even skied in the rain yesterday on the way to the boat launch to load her up. What a dream. I love this boat. I still have a little stutter or hesitation out of the hole. The boat idles well, and once past the initial engagement of the throttle it hums right up to speed no problem. However, if you ease into gear without giving it a little gas, it will bog down and die. Next thing I'm chasing this issue with will be a new fuel filter/water separator. Is there also a filter in the bowl of the pump? Any other ideas of what could be causing this hesitation?
I keep intending to take motor pics but I always forget...will get some soon. Until then, I've got a little more boat porn for you here...

Snipe
07-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Always great to hear a success story. Really nice looking boat. Keep the pics coming :)

ConnMan
08-16-2017, 07:19 PM
My first post ever on this forum!! Been coming here forever, but found this forum difficult to navigate, so I never joined. I'm a member on the Bennington forum, and an active member on the Polaris Slingshot Forum "Slingshotinfo.com". I met the first Team Mastercraft member in 98', at the 30th Anniversary celebration at the factory. Great guy, and I hope he is well!!
I love your project man, but I have to concur about the carb.!! 4160 ALL DAY LONG!! Bolt it on, and walk away! It's perfect!! Just do it!!
I love my boat, and it's the favorite on the lake! Mine has low hours, and is in great shape! Bought it off a guy in 94', who used it one season and had financial difficulty.
I can help you out with the decals on the boat. I bought every decal for that boat, and gave them to a friend who's in the sign business, and he scanned them. So, whatever you want buddy!! Just email me and I can get you more info.!! If not, great job, and enjoy that beautiful boat!! :toast:

footindave
08-17-2017, 06:07 AM
Great job on the boat Love the Red stars and stripes 93!!!!!!!!!

Prostar 190
08-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Great looking boat nice job!!

2RLAKE
08-17-2017, 06:58 AM
great job working the boat and glad you got some vacation to enjoy your '93 ... great looking boat!

ValveCoverGasket
08-17-2017, 11:23 AM
what a transformation! excellent work bringing that one back

love the graphics as well, and it looks like a pretty nice interior was hiding under all that grime

skiviskaves
08-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Always great to hear a success story. Really nice looking boat. Keep the pics coming :)

Great job on the boat Love the Red stars and stripes 93!!!!!!!!!

Great looking boat nice job!!

great job working the boat and glad you got some vacation to enjoy your '93 ... great looking boat!

what a transformation! excellent work bringing that one back

love the graphics as well, and it looks like a pretty nice interior was hiding under all that grime

Hey, thanks all for the kind words! New registration numbers make it officially a Wisconsin boat now! I wanted the boat to look standard issue badass so I went with some very square, black, military style registration numbers.
The boat just received a new battery, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, inline fuel filter, and fuel pump bowl filter. Wow, that fuel pump filter was crushed and totally black.
Still issues with running/starting cold. The electric choke still doesn't seem to do anything when starting the boat, no movement of the butterfly. I checked and have 9 volts to the choke with the key in the on position...is that OK, does the electric choke need 12 volts to function? Where could I be loosing that 3 volts? Once the boat is warm it starts and runs great! When cold I have to idle it high to warm it up, and there is still a very slight lag out of the hole...it will kill the boat sometimes when engaging from idle to "hit it!" I'm ready to have this boat running perfect, what's next?...and I don't want to hear 4160.
I got some more quality ski runs behind the boat last weekend and am still loving it despite the couple bugs I have left. Also applied 2 more coats of teak oil to the platform, which seems to lose its luster quite quickly. And finally, a motor photo for you, and a couple more. Still waiting for the right opportunity to photograph the boat in the sunlight where it really sparkles.

paintpollz
08-28-2017, 06:05 PM
beautiful boat. love the color combo

mikeg205
08-28-2017, 06:38 PM
are all those pics of her really on the sand and gravel?

gt23
08-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c_craig
08-29-2017, 06:46 AM
Wow that turned out really nice!

2RLAKE
08-29-2017, 07:25 AM

that is exactly what i just saw too

great looking boat ... love it

bret
08-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Great restoration, really nice work!

Watch bringing her up on hard gravel (if bottom is that) because once you break the gel coat, the water can get in and start saturating the fiberglass - deterioration and then added weight.

skiviskaves
08-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Great restoration, really nice work!

Watch bringing her up on hard gravel (if bottom is that) because once you break the gel coat, the water can get in and start saturating the fiberglass - deterioration and then added weight.

Thanks for your concerns and advice. These photos were taken just next to our lake's boat launch, I launched the boat by myself and gently pulled her to shore by hand, then parked the truck and snapped a few photos before jumping in the boat. The lake bottom is mostly sand there, however there is some gravel to be aware of. Also, the lake bottom drops out pretty abruptly so only the tip of the hull is holding the boat to shore. I'll inspect the hull before she goes in next weekend to be sure, but I'm not super concerned. Thanks again, good thing to be mindful of.

2RLAKE
08-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your concerns and advice. These photos were taken just next to our lake's boat launch, I launched the boat by myself and gently pulled her to shore by hand, then parked the truck and snapped a few photos before jumping in the boat. The lake bottom is mostly sand there, however there is some gravel to be aware of. Also, the lake bottom drops out pretty abruptly so only the tip of the hull is holding the boat to shore. I'll inspect the hull before she goes in next weekend to be sure, but I'm not super concerned. Thanks again, good thing to be mindful of.

see how much we all care!!!

skiviskaves
09-05-2017, 11:32 AM
"I name this ship Miss Waubee, and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

I've noticed that not many people name their inland lake tow rigs. I've never named any of my previous boats. But I thought the new beauty queen of Waubee Lake deserved the name and title of Miss Waubee. I think I'll start a MC naming thread and see if anyone else has named their boat.

I skied at least twice every day this Labor Day weekend. A little chilly in the northwoods of Wisconsin, but you gotta get it while the gettin is good. My driver (wife) was wearing her winter hat and snowmobile jacket for our Saturday run. I got to try out the hot shower for the first time...nice but not enough pressure. Probably about time to invest in a wetsuit, and drysuit. Highs temps are predicted to only hit the low 60's next weekend.

skiviskaves
09-25-2017, 03:10 PM
September 23rd and 90 degrees in Wisconsin! Endless Summer!!! More pics of Miss Waubee...

Snipe
09-26-2017, 08:02 AM
How cool is that!! Better September than June and July...�� Sweet co-pilot. Love it.