PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Prostar gas gage

atwood420
05-08-2017, 03:47 PM
I'm loving my prostar but ever since I bought it the gas gage begins to act funny midway through the summer. Its reads full all the time or just wrong in general. The dealership has repeatedly re calibrated it for me and told me that in order to alleviate the problem I should only fill up when my tank is empty or at least under 1/4 tank. Is it just me or does this seem totally unreasonable for such a expensive investment? They said its a wide spread problem from 2014-2017. Has anyone experienced this or does know of a real fix? Thanks

Snipe
05-08-2017, 03:57 PM
I'm loving my prostar but ever since I bought it the gas gage begins to act funny midway through the summer. Its reads full all the time or just wrong in general. The dealership has repeatedly re calibrated it for me and told me that in order to alleviate the problem I should only fill up when my tank is empty or at least under 1/4 tank. Is it just me or does this seem totally unreasonable for such a expensive investment? They said its a wide spread problem from 2014-2017. Has anyone experienced this or does know of a real fix? Thanks

There are several different sending units out. I had a false reading as well. My gauge is made by Introit in Fla. and needs to be calibrated for either the ethanol or ethanol free gas. The reading is significantly different. So, not knowing what sender you have, not sure what to tell you except use the same gas all the time. I use nothing but ethanol free. :confused:

masterx10
05-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Do you have a clean marine fuel sender? I went through two of these and they were both terrible. Put in a centroid fuel sender and although not 100% accurate, it is a much better improvement over the clean marine senders.

Snipe
05-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Do you have a clean marine fuel sender? I went through two of these and they were both terrible. Put in a centroid fuel sender and although not 100% accurate, it is a much better improvement over the clean marine senders.

My bad :o.... I meant Centriod. Mine is very accurate.

Yooper
05-09-2017, 07:13 AM
I agree it is a pain but you need to run the tank below 1/2 before you refuel and then make sure you flip the main power to off and then fill up. Then it should auto calibrate. The problem is the topping off situation is what makes it flaky. I have been doing this and my gauge is working fine.

Mgboyd25
05-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Ive never had a gas gauge that worked correctly in a boat... But understand your frustration based on the price you paid. Keep her full and thirsty

epnault
05-09-2017, 07:23 AM
I agree it is a pain but you need to run the tank below 1/2 before you refuel and then make sure you flip the main power to off and then fill up. Then it should auto calibrate. The problem is the topping off situation is what makes it flaky. I have been doing this and my gauge is working fine.

This is the truth! My first one failed but the new one has been working well following this procedure.

You are under warranty, have them get you a new sender and start following this procedure.

atwood420
05-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys. My dealership is switching me out to a new "prototype" that tournament boats have been using last summer. They claim it been working like a champ and running very accurate seeing how they a lot of them run with 1/8 of a tank in their prostars.

epnault
05-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Yup-thats the one I got too. No issues