PDA

View Full Version : keel guard?

franko
05-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Hello, i am the stoked new owner of a 1999 210vrs. I want know your thoughts of adding a keel guard to protect my boat if I nose up to shore on Lake Mead. Boating style on this lake is to set up camp and shade as it's about 110-115 degrees with 80 degree water:) The boat has never been beached and I want to keep it looking like new. I'd then set a buoy/anchor off shore.
I've never seen a MC with a keel guard.
Thanks

forcel0
05-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Most of the Mastercraft CSX had keel guards. They looked good with it.

MC25
05-08-2017, 11:03 AM
It's your boat, do as you please. Lots here say no to beaching your boat, but a keel guard would be the best way to avoid damage. I say acceptable.

Ryan
05-08-2017, 11:50 AM
If you're worried about the impact on resale, take pics of the keel before installing to show it's condition. They can always be removed later.

Trouble is most people that I've known who installed one did so to hide scrapes from beaching and prevent making it worse.

swatguy
05-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Had one on my boat and racked up 1200hrs and never had one issue of it coming lose or unglued.

I installed mine to protect my boat during loading and unloading because on the older trailer the center rollers started to wear in the hull from loading/unloading so frequently

CantRepeat
05-08-2017, 12:04 PM
It's your boat so it only matters to you.

I don't beach so I have no need for one.

bturner2
05-08-2017, 04:52 PM
I voted never (for me) but absolutely agree with others that it's your boat so do whatever you want.

uplandbird
05-08-2017, 05:29 PM
It's your boat, do as you please. Lots here say no to beaching your boat, but a keel guard would be the best way to avoid damage. I say acceptable.

Completely agree. Some guys on here say never pull an inner tube with a Mastercraft too..

CantRepeat
05-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Completely agree. Some guys on here say never pull an inner tube from the tower with a Mastercraft too..

6 of one, half dozen of the other. :D

blackhawk
05-08-2017, 10:03 PM
No and hell no for me. My boat had one on it when I bought it. It had a tear in it, but I didn't worry too much about it at the time of purchase. The following Winter, I was polishing the hull and noticed a little bump on the rubber. I pushed on it and could hear squishing. That tear had let in water behind the guard and it still hadn't dried out in over 2 months. I ripped the guard off and the trapped water had caused 3 or 4 blisters. I caught it in time and the blisters were purely cosmetic. It was a chore getting the keel guard off. Plus the fun of lying on my back patching gelcoat after removing the blisters.

MC FEVER
05-09-2017, 11:21 AM
That's a no for me. Also a no to beaching. leave in shallow water.

franko
05-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Thanks to all for your opinions. I feel much better now.

Swordfish
05-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Hello, i am the stoked new owner of a 1999 210vrs. I want know your thoughts of adding a keel guard to protect my boat if I nose up to shore on Lake Mead. Boating style on this lake is to set up camp and shade as it's about 110-115 degrees with 80 degree water:) The boat has never been beached and I want to keep it looking like new. I'd then set a buoy/anchor off shore.
Thanks
A keel guard will not save your hull from the beaches at lake mead. The bottom of your boat will become completely thrashed . Save your money and spend it on redoing your hull after you beach it for a summer

Skyskiguy
05-12-2017, 07:16 PM
A keel guard will not save your hull from the beaches at lake mead. The bottom of your boat will become completely thrashed . Save your money and spend it on redoing your hull after you beach it for a summer

You're going to the wrong beaches!

joshbw
05-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Just have someone jump out and check for rocks. I keep my boat there and do limit beaching but sometimes it's the only option at Sandy or Rotary Cove. When those spots get partying you can't really anchor if you want to be in the middle of the fun. If it looks rocky I use a box anchor with anchor buddy off the front and a spike in the beach off the back. Hope to see you it there.

If you have a plain white hall may want to compare the price to just re gel the front keel at some point so you can just beach and enjoy. White gel coat is cheap and easy to recoat.

MasterCraft Ranger
05-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Thanks

We're Powell people and know the fun of beaching on a nice sand bar. I have Keel Guards on my PS190 and '05 X10. The one on ProStar has been in place for 10 years. The one on the X10 started peeling off after the second season. I suspect I did not do a thorough cleaning of the hull before installing the strip. We were at the boat ramp, it was 100 degrees out and the boat was awkwardly perched 8 inches off the back of the trailer and I know I was rushing.

In researching used boats, I was not put off by a boat that had one.

markmcfarland
05-14-2017, 07:08 PM
I think I have one you can have, just pay shipping. It's down at lake in storage. It is probably 10 years old but never used. I should be down next week and can see if I can find it if you want

hunter991
05-14-2017, 07:18 PM
Had one on my ranger Reata. Started to fall apart. To fix it they wanted to grind the gel coat and put a new one on. Not a chance. There was a recall on them for bad adhesive a few years back.