PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Mastercraft x25 steering cable replacement

Gamble99
05-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Hey guys,

At the end of last season, I purchase a 2013 Mastercraft X25 with approximately 220 hours on it. Boat was in great condition, appeared almost new and was a freshwater boat. I put approximately 20 hours on the boat and it seemed that the steering was fine.

At the beginning of this season I took the boat out and noticed the boats steering seemed tight. Since the boat was new to me and I'd still been getting use to it I took it out again and had my wife drive it to make sure it wasn't in my head. Wife drove the boat and agreed the steering seemed tight.

I have greased the two zurk fittings and lubed the steering shaft in the rear of the boat just before the rudder arm. I disconnected the rudder from the steering cable and the rudder turned smoothly with no resistance.

My question is has anyone had issues with steering with this new of a boat? I'm planning on replacing the cable but wanted to know everyone's thoughts? Am I missing anything or is it time for me to replace the cable? Job doesn't look too complicated just probably a pain to work through boat. I've watch the videos and people's previous post in reference to steering cable replacement. Please let me know if anyone's got and suggestions or ideas before I start the job.

Thanks on advance!

onewheat
05-08-2017, 12:16 AM
We haven't had any issues, nor have any of our friends with X-25s that I know of. I have almost double those hours, but haven't put the boat in the water yet this year to see if I suddenly developed a problem.

Stefan
05-08-2017, 02:40 AM
My 2012 X15 had a very tight steering from sthe start, even tighter the a hydraulic steering.

Being a newbie then I was told that's normal. Turns out later when I got to know the boat better, the steering cable was way to long and was placed in a tight loop under the deck.

I loosened that up and my steering was mavelous!

uplandbird
05-08-2017, 09:48 AM
My 14 X25 does not have this problem. I do not have hydraulic steering but mine is fairly smooth and easy. If you notice it was good last year and bad this year, follow your instincts. You must have a problem somewhere.

swc5150
05-08-2017, 10:51 AM
A cable could most definitely go out this early in its lifespan. Swap it out and you'll be golden.

kdale1
05-08-2017, 09:39 PM
My steering cable went out end of last year on my 2013 x10. The steering should be super smooth and light. If there is the slightest binding or resistance whatsoever, chances are some water got inside the wire on your cable and started corroding. Once it starts, it's only gonn get worse so yourself a favor and just replace the cables.

Note from when I replaced mine, I got exactly the same cable from the original and it was either a 25' or 26'. This felt way to long to me seeing how an X10 is only 21 feet and the cable is not even going the whole length. I wish I got a 22' cable or so... it was long and I had to loop the slack up front by the steering column in the storage area under the front starboard bow seat cushion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamble99
05-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for everyone's posts!! I have ordered the new steering cable today from mastercraft and will be installing it this weekend. I will keep you guys updated on the progress.

Kdale1, was the replacement as straight forward as I'm expecting? The only issues I see is just working the cable through the hull of the boat in some really tight spaces. I opened up the boat this past weekend and I am able to see about 85 percent of the cable, it looks like the job will just be a slow process. Do you have any tips or tricks you discovered while changing yours? Did you run into any issues?

As I have read and seen in previous posts or videos, (mainly in older boats) I will tie and tape a rope to old cable, disconnect from helm and rudder and pull to front of boat. Disconnect and pull new cable to rear of boat. Attach back to rudder arm and helm. Is there any difficulties or any specifics on disconnecting and reconnecting cable to steering wheel. It appears the steering cable has a rectangle power strip looking device on one end that will connect underneath steering wheel?? Is there any specifics on connecting to steering wheel for calibration or straightness of steering wheel? I also asked the guy at mastercraft about length of cable as my factory cable seemed to have an additional 6 feet of unneeded cable. He said you will just loop up cable in front of dash.

Hopefully you other X25'ers will have years of good seasons with your factory cables!!
Thanks again

Gamble99
05-20-2017, 08:56 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to update everyone on the steering issues I had on the X25. I replaced the cable this weekend and took the boat out today. Problem solved!!! Like you guys said steering should be smooth and effortless. Project was pretty easy and strait forward.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions!!