PDA

View Full Version : Caution for boat covers from Cover Sports

NRH Randy
05-07-2017, 08:46 PM
This is my very first post ever, so I hope I do this right:

Just a heads up. If you are planning on ordering a new cover from Brent Fleming at Cover sports I would caution you. www.coversports.net I ordered from him 12/3/16 and made full payment for a cover for my 2005 X9. After months of excuses ( and there were many when he would finally call or e mail) I got the cover the last week of April. No instructions, nothing. I had to call and Brent waked me through the process of installing it. It was not correct and he thought based on photos I sent that he sent me the wrong cover and to ship it back. Unbelievable. So I next day air it to him. Then silence. I don't hear from him for a few days. Finally he says he does not know what is wrong and wants to blame M/C for some windshield change that never happened. He then wants to send it back to me to put on and make "cuts" where it does not fit and send it back to him! I'm dying at this point, 5 months and this is his plan?

I contacted Cory Anderson at Evolution covers who offered to help me. I had a courier service pick it up from Brent (finally) and got it to Cory.

All I can say is buyer beware with Brent! I could not start with Cory at Evolution Covers because he did not have the pattern for my boat.

I would never do business with this man again.

Cory at Evolution Covers has been a true asset to me in an effort to help save my investment and protect my "baby" Thanks Cory www.evolutioncovers.com

Gary A.
05-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Cory ROCKS!!!

NRH Randy
05-07-2017, 10:04 PM
He is "The Man" saving the day on my cover!

swatguy
05-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Hey man , sorry for your issues. I posted a while back saying Brent's business has fallen by the wayside with customer service. There is no contact , no emails, no return messages , nothing. Instructions were never really sent, even in the past. I am on my 5th cover (different boats) and this was by far the absolute worst dealing I had. He sent the wrong color. Wanted me to pay for the return shipping , then I'd have to wait another few months to build the new cover. We came to an agreement , the black actually didn't lol so bad , and he was going to credit me 250 for the mistake . Well months and months went by , no credit, contacted him couple times he said he got real sick ( which I know he did ) said it would be taken care of. Another couple months responded with he's trying to figure out how to credit with his new machines, Yada yada,

Never got the credit and because I took his word and gave him the benefit of the doubt being a long time customer , I couldn't make the claim against credit card.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you want to look at it . It still is a superior quality product , the fit materials, and function are top notch , but the wait times and customer service are making that more and more harder to swallow. Unfortunately it comes down to patterns , and the fact he has certain patterns and Corey doesn't kinda makes it even harder to figure out.

JohnE
05-08-2017, 11:30 PM
I had a great experience with Brent in 2014. I have heard that he has had some business and personal struggles since. I had an equally great experience with Cory at Evolution last year.

I guess that if anyone wants to order from Brent going forward there should be some give and take on terms. Even with my great experience, after hearing all the bad experiences of the past few years, I wouldn't send him full payment prior to receiving cover. I'd be skeptical, and maybe offer half, so we both had an investment in making sure it all got done right.

Thrall
05-09-2017, 01:55 AM
Yeah it's unfortunate.
He's local to me up here and a few years ago, someone on here wanted an X2 cover and he didn't have the pattern. Go figure.
I talked with him and he was going to easier up my boat and asked if he could use it for the pattern. I offered to take the boat to him, in exchange for a discount when I needed a cover. Never heard back. If it's his health then I'm sorry. Otherwise it's just poor customer service for an excellent product.
Boat covers are serious business up here and I was very impressed with the quality I saw on one.

swc5150
05-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Bummer hearing Brent's business has gone downhill. I've purchased 3 covers from him over the years, and they came in timely and fit perfectly. No instructions though, so there was some trial and error on my first install. These were all for SN196's, which he apparently had the pattern down.

Gavin
05-09-2017, 10:09 AM
I bought a cover from him last year but it took awhile. Cover is awesome. I wish someone could help him improve his business because the product is excellent.

mzimme
05-09-2017, 10:18 AM
People keep talking about instructions.... what kind of instructions do you need for a boat cover? Put it on the boat, tighten things where they need tightened, snap snaps around towers, etc. What else is there to know? You're not putting together a 1000 piece Lego set or anything here, it's a boat cover. What gives?

swatguy
05-09-2017, 10:51 AM
There is a lot of fine tuning and extra parts . It's not a simple cover. It's designed to tow and therefore needs some exact placement of "accessories" that need to be installed in certain places. The don't come attached to the cover, you have to install them in the correct places. Each boat model has different locations where those go. To get the cover to fit perfect takes some time. This cover is also unique in that it uses no poles to prevent water from pooling. So the placement and proper adjustments of those "accessories " are critical.

Gavin
05-09-2017, 10:55 AM
I agree with mzimme, my cover didn't come with instructions and I didn't think to look for any. One of my favorite things about this cover is how easy it is to cover the boat with just one person. When we use the boat multiple days in a row I used to debate covering vs wiping off the dew and bugs the next morning. Now it's way faster to cover the boat in the evening than wipe down the seats in the morning.

Edit: Swat beat me to it and this may be the first time I didn't agree with him. The first time I installed the cover I did have to spend a bit of time making sure it was centered and tight but I thought it was pretty self explanatory. I suppose if the instructions were written for someone who had never covered a boat before they would have to be pretty detailed.

lashburn1
05-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Not sure if I want a boat cover that requires instructions
6- Boats in a row.... just put them on?

ttu
05-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Not sure if I want a boat cover that requires instructions
6- Boats in a row.... just put them on?

you should be expert by now!!:D:D

Gavin
05-09-2017, 11:30 AM
I helped a friend snap on a toon cover the other day. That thing needed instructions. Our boats are easy as long as you put the pointy end in the front.

NRH Randy
05-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Hey swat guy, yup exactly my issues. I did the deal last November based on Corey's referral with him cautiously telling me he was a little "different" anyhow Corey shipped an improved upon cover out to me today so I can't wait to get it, my cover is just holding on with duct tape and bungee cords!

Swatguy? Local operator? Retired Tactical (swat) here..

jakethebt
05-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Bummer to hear people having issues. The cover he made me is awesome!!! It might be different as he had my pattern. If I ever need another, I will use this as the pattern.

As for instructions, I guess I am missing something. Maybe a tower. My cover is simple and awesome.

swatguy
05-12-2017, 04:09 AM
Hey swat guy, yup exactly my issues. I did the deal last November based on Corey's referral with him cautiously telling me he was a little "different" anyhow Corey shipped an improved upon cover out to me today so I can't wait to get it, my cover is just holding on with duct tape and bungee cords!

Swatguy? Local operator? Retired Tactical (swat) here..

I am almost there. 4 and some change left. Still in our full time unit as a supervisor, but things have grinded to a screeching hault here with warrants and "fun" . Basically just occasional call outs. I am perfectly fine with that at this point.