PDA

View Full Version : Rust looking spot on my vinyl.

djkslc
05-07-2017, 04:24 PM
At the end of last season I noticed a few of these. I pulled the boat out of storage this last week, and I have a half a dozen or so of these tiny rust looking spots on the vinyl. It's a 2008 X2. Any idea what they are, what's causing them, and how to get rid of them?

ap77
05-07-2017, 05:39 PM
It looks like mold spots. They should go away in the sun, but they will come back. Not much you can do (unfortunately).

Psgwake
05-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Might be your boats time of the month. Sorry I couldn't help myself, anywho, try putting peroxide on it, if it is a protein stain (I.e. Blood, food,ect) it will foam. If not, might try some aluminum bright on a q-tip. It is an acid that will attack rust but not the vinyl.

Psgwake
05-07-2017, 05:43 PM
If it is mold spots, one thing that works really well is Olympic deck cleaner. Put a little on a cloth and rub gently, be careful, it contains bleach.

Covi
05-07-2017, 06:12 PM
I would never recommend this technique!

If it is mold spots, one thing that works really well is Olympic deck cleaner. Put a little on a cloth and rub gently, be careful, it contains bleach.

swatguy
05-07-2017, 06:37 PM
It's actually spider poo. Sun and small bit of acetone are your best friends

ap77
05-07-2017, 07:01 PM

Interesting!

I just searched amazon and noticed Starbrite sells spider stain remover. Never knew there was a product for that...wonder if it works. Good ratings...

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Spider-Remover-22-Ounce/dp/B00EYNNNVW

CheeseSteak1
05-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Yep! That is the residual stain of spider poop. I use the standard mildew stain remover you see at every shop. Spray let sit for a minute and scrub with microfiber towel. Whatever stain is left behind will fade out with the sun.

X7Dave
05-08-2017, 12:08 AM
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

jgraham37128
05-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Spider poop, clean and put out in the sun and it will go away. Don't over clean it, just clean the best you can the sun will take the rest of it away.

Psgwake
05-08-2017, 08:48 AM
I would never recommend this technique!

I have had no less than 20 boats over the years, I think I was misunderstood. Definitely do not clean the interior of your boat with this, however if you have mold spots, your choices at times are very limited. A dab on a q-tip or the tip of your finger on a rag was the intent.

Covi
05-08-2017, 12:28 PM
LMAO, All I could picture was someone going to town cleaning their interior with this!!! Ok, now this I might try. Defiantly do a spot that doesn't show to test for fade?

I have had no less than 20 boats over the years, I think I was misunderstood. Definitely do not clean the interior of your boat with this, however if you have mold spots, your choices at times are very limited. A dab on a q-tip or the tip of your finger on a rag was the intent.

ahhudgins
05-08-2017, 12:54 PM
When my nephew pooped in his swimming trunks (in the boat), I just burned the seat cushion.
Just joking...but he did mess his trunks.:D

swatguy
05-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Interesting!

I just searched amazon and noticed Starbrite sells spider stain remover. Never knew there was a product for that...wonder if it works. Good ratings...

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Spider-Remover-22-Ounce/dp/B00EYNNNVW

Honestly I never knew that existed , Nice find

Maristar210
05-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Yep - Dealt with this same problem in 2005 and each year after. Sun will fade them eventually.

epnault
05-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Dave-don't do this to your boat. Well, if you do you need to follow it up with a good vinyl conditioner

Swordfish
06-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Let it sit in the direct sun for a few outings, it will gradually fade. Harsh chems will just short the life of your vinyl.