PDA

View Full Version : getting my 1980 stars & stripes back to where it should be.

mastercraft-1980
05-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Good evening,

I have a 1980 stars & stripes. It's been in my family since it was a demo boat. The hour meter stopped working at 890. I'm going to guess that happened in the early 90s at the latest.

Fast forward to today. The interior has been redone and added storage behind the passenger seat (done in 90s), ignition upgraded to electronic (pertronix something or other dont remember exactly) and the freeze plugs still go in year after year when it comes out of the shed in the spring. I have also replaced all the battery wiring, ignition switch (several times), several carburetors ($$$)

This year:

Turn the key, nothing. Beat the fire out of the starter with a hammer while turning the key... nothing. Turn the blower on while turning the key, nothing AND the blower doesn't bog down like the starter is sucking too much juice. Here's where I'm thinking to start: solenoid. Its got to be the solenoid (provided the starter has appropriate power when checked by a multimeter and I cant directly power the starter and have it fire off.

All of this gets me to the bigger issue: The transmission shifts rough and leaks fluid. Where would I even begin to source a rebuild kit for that transmission? I took it to a local boat place who wanted to get it ''water worthy'' before tearing into the transmission and they discovered the no crank issue, which is new this year. I can solve the no crank issue with a combination of starter, solenoid and battery. I really want to figure out how to rebuild the powerslot transmission. Calling dealers from coast to coast nobody has gotten back to me or had an idea of where to go to get the parts.

Thank you to anyone who decides to go down this rabbit hole with me.

Bama
05-06-2017, 12:39 AM
I used this kit for my 81 Mastercraft with the powerslot transmission. I used the same kit in my buddies 89 ski supreme a couple of years ago. I haven't had any issues with these parts. I ended up replacing all the bearings in mine as well. I figured while I was in there I would put it back like new. This is not a hard job for someone mechanically inclined. Note: a press will come in handy. There are quite a few resources out there for parts. The easiest thing I found was to download the service manual with the parts break down and part numbers and then just Google Borg Warner part # 000000 and you will find what your looking for.

mastercraft-1980
05-06-2017, 01:26 AM
I used this kit for my 81 Mastercraft with the powerslot transmission. I used the same kit in my buddies 89 ski supreme a couple of years ago. I haven't had any issues with these parts. I ended up replacing all the bearings in mine as well. I figured while I was in there I would put it back like new. This is not a hard job for someone mechanically inclined. Note: a press will come in handy. There are quite a few resources out there for parts. The easiest thing I found was to download the service manual with the parts break down and part numbers and then just Google Borg Warner part # 000000 and you will find what your looking for.

Do you have a link to the service manual? I looked at all 4 kits that seller lists on ebay and didnt see any bearings in it. Are the bearings what you googled the borg warner part number to find replacements for?

waterlogged882
05-06-2017, 08:10 AM
I have a 1980 stars & stripes. ...........

.........Beat the fire out of the starter with a hammer.....

Thank you to anyone who decides to go down this rabbit hole with me.You need fire to the starter / solenoid.

I'd not replace parts until I knew what was wrong. Lots of possibilities aside from a solenoid.

If you want to get the boat back to where it should be (as stated), I'd not focus on patching and using band-aids and quick fixes. Take it completely apart and rebuild it. Your stringers are shot (even if you are in denial).

The powerslot on this 81 model was rebuilt with a master kit. Hale Marine for the parts.

A guy here called Wooter did a good thread on the transmission. Search his name. Back in April of 2013 if I recall correctly. There are many more. I have the service manual but the jocks here have a tiny limit on the size of a PDF... cannot attach with their file size limits. Be glad to email it to you.

OEM wiring is also a factor. I rewired the entire boat from engine to dash fuse panel (new solenoid included).

While you have it apart, may I suggest a dripless seal system for the shaft thru-hull opening? A very nice upgrade and no better time to do it than now. Later becomes an exponentially more difficult time, especially when you get tired of the packing gland. $100 part....

Your mileage may vary.

Here's where I started on one March 2016. It's done and gone.

MC25
05-06-2017, 09:04 AM
I can't believe you sold that thing

waterlogged882
05-06-2017, 09:12 AM
I can't believe you sold that thing

Me either.... :D Seriously....

That boat has the most solid 351 I have ran across (at 900 hours)... however that was the plan all along to sell it. I barely broke even so it was never intended to flip for a buck or two.

I'm looking for another one to keep (different color scheme) with the others I have.

MC25
05-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Me either.... :D Seriously....

That boat has the most solid 351 I have ran across (at 900 hours)... however that was the plan all along to sell it. I barely broke even so it was never intended to flip for a buck or two.

I'm looking for another one to keep (different color scheme) with the others I have.

Absolutely amazing work btw. I'd like to see your others.

Bama
05-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Do you have a link to the service manual? I looked at all 4 kits that seller lists on ebay and didnt see any bearings in it. Are the bearings what you googled the borg warner part number to find replacements for?

You can go to skidim.com and look under transmissions, they have the service manual listed but not for sale. There is a link posted there to download the manual for free. I couldn't find the bearings in a kit so yes I googled the part number and got them from a couple of different sources.
I'm going for a total restoration myself, so I replaced stringers rebuilt the motor and transmission as well as rewired the electrical system. I ended up pretty much replacing all the accessories as well, 1 wire alternator, Arco starter, flame thrower electronic ignition, edelbrock intake, quick fuel technology carburetor, gt40p heads and a cam research custom ground cam and lifters.

mastercraft-1980
05-08-2017, 08:02 PM
You need fire to the starter / solenoid.

I'd not replace parts until I knew what was wrong. Lots of possibilities aside from a solenoid.

If you want to get the boat back to where it should be (as stated), I'd not focus on patching and using band-aids and quick fixes. Take it completely apart and rebuild it. Your stringers are shot (even if you are in denial).

The powerslot on this 81 model was rebuilt with a master kit. Hale Marine for the parts.

A guy here called Wooter did a good thread on the transmission. Search his name. Back in April of 2013 if I recall correctly. There are many more. I have the service manual but the jocks here have a tiny limit on the size of a PDF... cannot attach with their file size limits. Be glad to email it to you.

OEM wiring is also a factor. I rewired the entire boat from engine to dash fuse panel (new solenoid included).

While you have it apart, may I suggest a dripless seal system for the shaft thru-hull opening? A very nice upgrade and no better time to do it than now. Later becomes an exponentially more difficult time, especially when you get tired of the packing gland. $100 part....

Your mileage may vary.

Here's where I started on one March 2016. It's done and gone.

Wow that thing looked awesome! Got the boat started today after siphoning all the old fuel out, filling it full of good no ethanol premium and giving the carb a little juice.

All that needed to be replaced was the solenoid. Will never go back to that shop again, especially not after having to drag it 70 miles each direction and being told "we dont have time to work on this right now (after telling me on the phone they did) but if you want to get into something a little more water ready we can get you a new boat"

$14.xx later and ive got fire. Carb is obviously garbage, got one on order already.

I did not rewire the entire boat previously, but almost all of it. Both cables going to the battery were pulled through completely as well as all the wiring to the solenoid. There may be 1 or 2 wires still OEM but i've replaced everything else.

Are you able to link me to the dripless through hull shaft system? I am definitely interested in that!

waterlogged882
05-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Are you able to link me to the dripless through hull shaft system? I am definitely interested in that!
OJ Props ==> here <==
(http://www.ojprops.com/products#underwater)

No more packing in a packing gland. This is a sealed system that is self-contained and circulates water into the shaft seal, directly from the raw water side of the cooling system. Keeps the bilge dry as a bone.

A great addition and an easy install.

I also replaced the plastic elbow with the brass while I was there (opposite side shown)...

mastercraft-1980
06-26-2017, 10:16 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velvet-Drive-Marine-70C-71C-72C-1017-1018-Transmission-LS-Kit-Stage-4-/261565458541?hash=item3ce684286d:g:aa0AAOSw4iRWEvU W&vxp=mtr is there any reason to get this whole kit? I'd like to do this rebuild in a day and would rather pay more and have extra parts left over than be waiting on an o-ring from somwhere.