PDA

View Full Version : Where To Find Pressed Oil Bath Hub Caps?

jj91
05-05-2017, 03:28 PM
I have pressed (not threaded) oil bath hub caps on 2004 trailer (see pics). I do get some water intrusion and have been contemplating changing the seals. From what I've read these can be a little bit of bear to get off and sometimes get cracked or broken in the process. The previous owner beat the grooves up one of them up pretty good. In talking with the local dealer these caps are no longer available. Just wondering if anyone knows where I can source a couple of these just in case I break or crack one of them. Or if nothing is available, what are my options? The local dealer suggested going to bearing buddies. I haven't looked at them enough to know if that's just an easy swap of the internal components, but I'm not really looking spend a bunch of time or money messing around with them. Worst case scenario I just continue to monitor and change the oil a couple times a year.

Lars
06-03-2017, 08:55 PM
I'm wondering the same thing, I bought replacement threaded ones not realizing the difference. any luck?

jj91
06-05-2017, 01:49 PM
No luck on a factory replacement. I found these that I thought might work, but I have called the company or put a caliper to my axle to make sure. Now that boating season is in full swing my plan is to just monitor and change the oil when I notice it getting milky.

https://www.etrailer.com/Grease-Caps/Kodiak/XLPROLUBE2440.html

uplandbird
06-05-2017, 02:11 PM
No luck on a factory replacement. I found these that I thought might work, but I have called the company or put a caliper to my axle to make sure. Now that boating season is in full swing my plan is to just monitor and change the oil when I notice it getting milky.

https://www.etrailer.com/Grease-Caps/Kodiak/XLPROLUBE2440.html

Where are you located? I bought a couple of them several years ago for a prestige trailer I had under a searay I owned.

It's not threaded. You smack them off with a rubber mallet a little bit at a time.

If you are close by, you can have it. I think I have one left.

jj91
06-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Hi Uplandbird. I'm about 25 miles southwest of Minneapolis, MN. Yes, you are correct, you have to smack them off. Was your trailer a single axle? If it was and the caps look like the ones in my 1st post I would pay you to ship whatever you have to me.

uplandbird
06-06-2017, 10:24 AM
I had a dual axle. I'll take a pic and some measurements of it when I get home tonight.

Lars
06-06-2017, 02:21 PM
You are close to me then!

I decided to just change the oil and leave the existing caps, seems the main issue was with the screw on plastic ones, haven't heard anything bad about these press on ones.

Some picture proof:

Old

New oil

brucemac
06-06-2017, 02:28 PM
ugh, I need to be doing that this season...

refresh my memory, is it 30W motor oil in there, or did you use 90W gear oil? I can't recall...

kscrib
06-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Our 2006 had screw-on ones that were plastic. As the plastic ages they can break. It is a P.I.T.A to unscrew them once broken. I replaced all of them with metal screw-ons. I had to contact the manufacture to get the right ones.

Lars
06-07-2017, 10:36 AM
ugh, I need to be doing that this season...

refresh my memory, is it 30W motor oil in there, or did you use 90W gear oil? I can't recall...

bruce,

The 2004 manual says 80 or 90 weight oil. I used some gear oil I found at napa. If you have 2005 to 2007, it may be a different weight, I'd look in the owners manual for your year.

brucemac
06-07-2017, 12:57 PM
bruce,

The 2004 manual says 80 or 90 weight oil. I used some gear oil I found at napa. If you have 2005 to 2007, it may be a different weight, I'd look in the owners manual for your year.

Thanks Lars.

jj91
06-07-2017, 01:51 PM
My manual says 80-90 as well but local dealer says 50W is now recommended. As long as you're keeping your levels correct and monitoring to ensure no water intrusion you should be fine with either one.