PDA

View Full Version : Surf Assist Power Hookup?

BoulderX45
05-04-2017, 10:25 PM
I've installed my wakemakers surf assist and took the power from the power strip in front of the dash on my X-45. So, the surf assist is alway on when the battery switch is on. Does anybody see an issue with this unit always being on? Should it be hooked up to the boat key switch?

MC25
05-04-2017, 10:33 PM
That's how they install it at the go surf assist HQ. isn't enough parasitic draw to make a difference, so it's okay.

cwarndahl
05-04-2017, 11:15 PM
I have t had any problems in my 45 or my 25 with it. And I go out 1 to 4 times a week and some times not for a couple weeks. But in season I forget to turn my switch off often and it's never drained my battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexSooner17
05-04-2017, 11:40 PM
That's how it is with mine, no issues but my batteries are hooked to an on onboard charger

Skyskiguy
05-04-2017, 11:49 PM
That's how I wired mine. If you wire it to through the ignition, you will drop the GPS signal every time you turn the key off. Then you'll have to wait for the GPS to re-acquire a signal every time you turn the key back on. As far as I can tell, there is no draw when it is not in use. Wire it direct.

Keith2230
05-05-2017, 09:10 AM
I wired mine this way as well but am not completely happy with it. For some reason the system will apply momentary retract power to the tabs when it's off. Mostly it will just freak you out when you're cleaning the boat or something and think everything is off. The battery switch will turn it all off but that also turns off the bilge pumps. Ideally I want it parked on the lift, plugged into the dual bank charger with working bilge pumps (just in case). I'd rather GSA not be trying to track satellites and tweaking the tabs every so often even if it is on the charger.

I think this spring I'm going to wire in one of my unused toggle switches to a relay to power GSA. This will let me power off GSA when it's parked while leaving the battery switch on. It won't be tied to the key switch so I won't loose GPS while we're out swapping riders.

Skyskiguy
05-05-2017, 09:24 AM
I wired mine this way as well but am not completely happy with it. For some reason the system will apply momentary retract power to the tabs when it's off. Mostly it will just freak you out when you're cleaning the boat or something and think everything is off. The battery switch will turn it all off but that also turns off the bilge pumps. Ideally I want it parked on the lift, plugged into the dual bank charger with working bilge pumps (just in case). I'd rather GSA not be trying to track satellites and tweaking the tabs every so often even if it is on the charger.

I think this spring I'm going to wire in one of my unused toggle switches to a relay to power GSA. This will let me power off GSA when it's parked while leaving the battery switch on. It won't be tied to the key switch so I won't loose GPS while we're out swapping riders.

Keith,
FWIW, mine has never done what you are describing. The factory, center wake plate does an auto retract about 8 minutes after key-off. As I understand it, this is to be sure that the actuator is not left in the extended position which could allow corrosion/build up to on the actuator shaft and then ruin the seal? But I don't recall my GSA ever doing anything like that.

Skyskiguy
05-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Keith, my GSA does do an auto retract of both tabs every time I turn the batteries back on - then the control panel ights flash until it acquires satellite signal. Could it be that you occasionally lose all satellite signal and it does an auto retract as it's re-acquiring signal? Have you ever checked the control panel when it does the random retract to see if the lights are flashing?
I suppose you could test my theory by unplugging then plugging back in the antenna from the control box.

CottagerGreg
05-05-2017, 09:34 AM
As mentioned above, I would keep wiring as is and take the ground to a toggle switch and then you'd have control over it.

rbuss4
05-05-2017, 10:52 AM
I wired mine to a master switch to eliminate "trickle down" when the boat is not being used overnight or for a couple days.

Keith2230
05-05-2017, 03:16 PM
When I first turn on the battery switch and GSA gets power it will run the actuators up for a few seconds. There's no position sensor in the actuator so I understand this as the controller running the actuators enough in the retract position that it knows the position of the tabs as fully retracted.

However, that's not what I was referring to. What happens is GSA is off for some period of time and it will run the actuator for under a second. This happened to me just earlier this week. I turned on the battery power and GSA did the normal start up a couple of seconds after it got power. I didn't hit left or right to engage GSA and just left it off. I bumped the ignition a couple of times to help with changing the impeller. Maybe 10 minutes into my impeller change the tabs kicked on for less than a second. I haven't tried to time how long it takes and by the time I look at the controller it's still in an off state. I know it will happen if the system has been used and turned off after a period of time or after it's been powered up after a period of time. I'm uncertain if it repeats the cycle and to my knowledge I've not seen it do it twice without being activated. Best I can surmise the controller is going into a standby mode and it's leaking a little voltage to the actuators as it powers down.

mbhaddad
05-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Random unrelated question for anyone on the wake makers version. When you turn the adjustment dial does the light up ring around the left or right flash?

Skyskiguy
05-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Random unrelated question for anyone on the wake makers version. When you turn the adjustment dial does the light up ring around the left or right flash?

I can check mine tonight and let you know.

Skyskiguy
05-05-2017, 07:30 PM
The lights do flash when adjusting tab position with the potentiometer knob. Turning counter clockwise (raising the tab) both red and blue flash. Clockwise (lowering the tab), only the blue flashes.