PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 Motor on X45

DoubleE7
05-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Is this enough motor for an X45? Seems like it would be light on power for a 24' boat? We typically ride with 6-8 people in our '05 model (8.1L), was curious to hear what the thought was. Didn't know if you repropped it if it would be sufficient with that many people and loaded to surf or not...

AZX46OD
05-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Plenty will say "the more the better" and "8.1L is a must in this boat."

My experience has been however that the 6.0L does just fine. I owned a 2012 X45 with the 6.0L and never felt it was underpowered. My buddy currently has a 2007 with the 6.0L and it does great.

If you find a good deal on a boat with the 6.0L I would not pass on it because of the motor. You will probably find it to be a bit smoother and less rough than the 8.1L.

JagNL
05-04-2017, 01:09 AM
I think it depends on altitude but I think if you struggled a re-prop would probably the issue. The 8.1L is definitely the ideal engine to have for the X45, it gets better gas mileage too due to the torque.

ALL of that being said, I've had no issues with my 6.0L LY6 and it seems to perform fine here in Texas. I haven't loaded it down to the gills but I plan to this summer. I've had all of the stock ballast hard tanks full plus 1400 lbs in the rear + 8 passengers with no issues though.

JLowder
05-04-2017, 01:24 AM
I had an 11' X-45 with the LY6. Propped it up and could put 16 people in the boat and still come on plane while pulling a boarder. Would have loved more power but honestly it was fine.

2RLAKE
05-04-2017, 08:09 AM
My neighbor has a 6.0/X45 and I have been out with them many times ... seemed ok for a loaded boat surfing and wakeboarding ... no one ever said they wished for less HP but I would be OK with it

CBA
05-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Have 2008 6.0. I'm pretty sure it is 400HP, not sure about the torque. As you know it is a big boat since you have one, seems to be plenty of power. On normal family trips we also have 10-12 people cruising around throughout the day and it is no problem. We also surf with 10 -12 people and 4000 lbs of ballast too no problem. It is has a surf prop so it tops out at about 34 mph which is a little bit of a downer but it is what it is. On occasion I will get on plane and cruise at 22 or 24 mph with full ballast because we want to head to lunch or go to the beach for a break and don't want to empty all the ballast. When I do this it does take some time to get it up on plane(maybe 5 seconds or so) and I have to move people to the front of the boat to do so. I'm sure the 8.1 would handle this better but not sure how much as it is a big load, if that makes sense.

Forrest-X45
05-04-2017, 12:50 PM
The LY6 6.0L is fine but the L18 8.1L is better. As long as you don't need high MPH or run a ton of ballast reprop the LY6 down and you will be fine.

ewilcox11
05-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Have 2008 6.0. I'm pretty sure it is 400HP, not sure about the torque. As you know it is a big boat since you have one, seems to be plenty of power. On normal family trips we also have 10-12 people cruising around throughout the day and it is no problem. We also surf with 10 -12 people and 4000 lbs of ballast too no problem. It is has a surf prop so it tops out at about 34 mph which is a little bit of a downer but it is what it is. On occasion I will get on plane and cruise at 22 or 24 mph with full ballast because we want to head to lunch or go to the beach for a break and don't want to empty all the ballast. When I do this it does take some time to get it up on plane(maybe 5 seconds or so) and I have to move people to the front of the boat to do so. I'm sure the 8.1 would handle this better but not sure how much as it is a big load, if that makes sense.

Torque is probably around 400 @ 4400. I've recently been looking at Corvettes and I think that's what the 6.0 Vettes are.

cwarndahl
05-04-2017, 05:01 PM
I have the 6.0, with a acme 1285 prop. With 4800 lbs of ballast and 3 people on the boat. I can't get on plane with my GSA auto launch. So there are limits. When I run the boat with more then 6 people i play with the ballast or get us where we are gonna ride and stay there till I dump ballast. I also have to change my pile every 25 hours. I like the ly6 just fine, but as others have said the more hp the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBA
05-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Interesting you can't get on plane.... I don't remember exactly the numbers on my prop but it is very close to 14.25 x 14.50 or 14.75 and i can get on plane with more weight than you. I do have to move people to the bow to make it happen though.

cwarndahl
05-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Interesting you can't get on plane.... I don't remember exactly the numbers on my prop but it is very close to 14.25 x 14.50 or 14.75 and i can get on plane with more weight than you. I do have to move people to the bow to make it happen though.

That is one step down from my prop. And ya if I do auto launch and people to the front maybe on a good day lol.

JVDT
05-04-2017, 10:19 PM
I have a 2010 X- 45 with a 6.0 L engine. I read propped my engine and we come out of the whole superfast fully loaded. The 6.0 is an extremely reliable engine and I have never wanted for more power after I did the re-prop. As mentioned before you will top out at 34 mph. Something to consider if you enjoy going superfast

DoubleE7
05-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Appreciate all the feedback. We typically board, surf, etc. right by the dock so really have no need to go superfast. If we want to go for a joy ride we just hop into my friends catboat that's designed for speed...

I definitely have some considering to do. I need to get in it and see how it performs, that 6.0 still has me on the skeptical side.

Thanks again for letting me know your experiences with it, definitely gives me something to think about.

stevo8290
05-05-2017, 10:46 AM
I run the 6.0 in my 09 and it does fine! I only recently swapped the prop for something with a little more bite because I'm running pretty heavy for wakeboarding. probably in the neighborhood of 3500 sometimes and the new prop is just nice to have. Don't get me wrong the old one would get the job done but I also wanted to see if the prop would enhance my wake at all. Too be honest my new prop (oj845) is probably too much prop and I'm considering swapping to something with less pitch.

Coffeyman76
05-05-2017, 06:06 PM
I have the 6.0 in mine now and 8.1 in my previous 45. I think the 6.0 dies just fine. The 8.1 was a beast especially fully loaded for surfing...she would just purr. But the 6 seems to be a much smoother and more refined motor especially during rider pickup, docking and putting along.

I'm happy with it and have run ballast with 10 adults with no major struggle. Decent on fuel, I can't tell the difference. The 8.1 helped surfing because of the added weight IMO.

Either work fine in this boat in my experience.