PDA

View Full Version : Newer X2 vs X20

Hawgdriver
05-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Anyone out there have experience surfing the newer X2 as well as the X20 and can provide a comparison??

lees23
05-03-2017, 11:22 PM
I have never surfed and x20 but they are totally different boats. X2 is a crossover and the X20 is a surf boat. My '14 X2 was gen one, I had PNP 650's in each locker and a suck gate. It had a big and fairly long wave but, to me, it seemed soft with no lip. It was super easy to surf though. I got sick of messing with the suck gate and the, too big for the space, PNP.

Hawgdriver
05-03-2017, 11:29 PM
I have never surfed and x20 but they are totally different boats. X2 is a crossover and the X20 is a surf boat. My '14 X2 was gen one, I had PNP 650's in each locker and a suck gate. It had a big and fairly long wave but, to me, it seemed soft with no lip. It was super easy to surf though. I got sick of messing with the suck gate and the, too big for the space, PNP.

Totally get they are different purpose boats. I really need to surf the newer X2 as I have surfed the x20. I loved the push of the x20. I'm loving the GSA on my X2 but I'm just not producing the push I'd like. At 6'1", 230lbs I'll take all the push I can get. Once you've experienced what's possible it's tough not having it readily available. I'm still talking about the push of the wave. :)

lees23
05-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Totally get they are different purpose boats. I really need to surf the newer X2 as I have surfed the x20. I loved the push of the x20. I'm loving the GSA on my X2 but I'm just not producing the push I'd like. At 6'1", 230lbs I'll take all the push I can get. Once you've experienced what's possible it's tough not having it readily available. I'm still talking about the push of the wave. :)

What board are you riding?

How much weight are you running and where is it?

ap77
05-03-2017, 11:37 PM
I had a 2009 X2 and currently own a 2015 X20. The X20 is a great surf machine, 4 minute fill times, all hard tanks and a fantastic wave. If surfing is your thing then this boat won't disappoint. The X2 is a great crossover boat and is a very capable surf boat, but it does need extra ballast weight. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either boat. If you have specific questions I would be happy to answer...

lees23
05-03-2017, 11:39 PM
Here was a good day on my x2

lees23
05-03-2017, 11:42 PM
Uploader is so annoying.

Hawgdriver
05-03-2017, 11:47 PM
What board are you riding?

How much weight are you running and where is it?

I have the stock ballast, run about another 750-800# in the rear lockers, about 400# in the bow and then about 400# in the port side locker.

Enough to where the old school paddle wheel perfect pass struggles:)

lees23
05-03-2017, 11:51 PM
I have the stock ballast, run about another 750-800# in the rear lockers, about 400# in the bow and then about 400# in the port side locker.

Enough to where the old school paddle wheel perfect pass struggles:)

That's a lot of weight. I just had the 750's (80-90% full) in the real lockers and a suck gate. My boat had tons of push. I was about 6' 200# last year. I was able to surf on boards way to small for me without issue.

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 12:02 AM
That's a lot of weight. I just had the 750's (80-90% full) in the real lockers and a suck gate. My boat had tons of push. I was about 6' 200# last year. I was able to surf on boards way to small for me without issue.

Ok,
I must be doing something wrong. When we were dialing things in with Ryan (GSA) we had more push than now. I don't have the center trim tab which did cause a challenge dialing it in.

lees23
05-04-2017, 12:17 AM
Ok,
I must be doing something wrong. When we were dialing things in with Ryan (GSA) we had more push than now. I don't have the center trim tab which did cause a challenge dialing it in.

Have you tried to pull some of your bow weight? My x2 didn't need any and I noticed less push when people say up there. I still had plenty of length with out it. My Malibu loves bow weight..

lees23
05-04-2017, 12:21 AM
https://youtu.be/KnySIxYxWSk

A quick video to see the length I was able to get with 0 bow weight(center ballast full), nothing additional up front.

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 12:21 AM
Have you tried to pull some of your bow weight? My x2 didn't need any and I noticed less push when people say up there. I still had plenty of length with out it. My Malibu loves bow weight..

I'll try running less but I know we needed it when we dialed it in...of crs, we had 2 extra adults in the back.

And shhhhhhsshhh, don't tell anyone, by I surfed a 23LSV this passed weekend and the wake was incredible. I'd love get mine dialed in!!

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 12:24 AM

A quick video to see the length I was able to get with 0 bow weight(center ballast full), nothing additional up front.

Nice wave, length and push.
Are you running your center trim tab down at all?

ap77
05-04-2017, 01:30 AM
Nice wave, length and push.
Are you running your center trim tab down at all?

I think you will find the center tab very useful. Not only does it clean up the wave but it allows you to adjust the angle of attack of the boat without moving weight or people upfront. Here is a picture of our X2 wave. This is old technology (listing the boat). Although we were able to create a nice long wake it didn't have the same push as our X20.

Mike185
05-04-2017, 07:45 AM

What P5 board is that? Trident?

lees23
05-04-2017, 08:37 AM
What P5 board is that? Trident?

Hammerhead. It's an amazing board. When I purchased my new boat my dealer threw in a new board and he offered 3 brands, without thinking about it I went with another Phase 5. I have a P5 Diamond coming to me next week.

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 08:40 AM
I think you will find the center tab very useful. Not only does it clean up the wave but it allows you to adjust the angle of attack of the boat without moving weight or people upfront. Here is a picture of our X2 wave. This is old technology (listing the boat). Although we were able to create a nice long wake it didn't have the same push as our X20.

The question becomes, invest more into my 11yr old boat or switch to the x20. Even by adding the center tab I'm well below the cost of a 20. But is the push of the 20 going to be in a completely different league of it's own?

Tough when I'm not sure what my wake wil be like without trying to add the tab!

ap77
05-04-2017, 08:48 AM
The question becomes, invest more into my 11yr old boat or switch to the x20. Even by adding the center tab I'm well below the cost of a 20. But is the push of the 20 going to be in a completely different league of it's own?

I understand your dilemma. That said, there are a number of factors over and above the great surf wave that you will appreciate from the X20 over your current boat.
- quick fill timeswirh the 6 pumps
- superior 2 point tower and bimini
- lots of storage (all hard tanks)
- boat is under warranty
- good deals to be found on the X20

hvlx2
05-04-2017, 08:51 AM

I had a 13'X2 w/ gen 2 added w/ the extra bags in the back...loved it and liked surfing it. the X20 is in a different league w/ push. was going to be the boat we upgraded to but ended up getting an XT20.

X20 is a great boat - huge w/ deep storage and surfs phenomenal - .......been out on one probably half a dozen times. wakeboard is pretty good to at higher speeds but fairly weight sensitive ...

We still do some wakeboarding and my young kids are learning so we stuck with the crossover that cleans up a little better at slower speeds and still surfs great....all in what you're looking for as a total package not sure you can go wrong.

lees23
05-04-2017, 09:04 AM
I would agree(although I have never surfed a x20) you will never get a x2 to surf like a x20.

I played around with the center tab and never really saw any benefit from running it down/partially down. It might clean up the wave a little but I don't think it will dramatically increase push.

ttu
05-04-2017, 09:25 AM
here is my x2 surf wake with GSA. please note that my daughter is freaking 6'3"!!

Mgoblue
05-04-2017, 02:19 PM
we have a 2013 X2, we surf using our Gen1. But I wish we had more push...I have a hard time justifying a Gen2 upgrade from dealership--~$6k.

I just bought a mission delta surf wedge, I hoping to try out soon.

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 03:14 PM
I had a 13'X2 w/ gen 2 added w/ the extra bags in the back...loved it and liked surfing it. the X20 is in a different league w/ push. was going to be the boat we upgraded to but ended up getting an XT20.

X20 is a great boat - huge w/ deep storage and surfs phenomenal - .......been out on one probably half a dozen times. wakeboard is pretty good to at higher speeds but fairly weight sensitive ...

We still do some wakeboarding and my young kids are learning so we stuck with the crossover that cleans up a little better at slower speeds and still surfs great....all in what you're looking for as a total package not sure you can go wrong.

HVlx2,
How's the XT20 wave????
Better than X2 but less push than X20??

hvlx2
05-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Only got to surf it once end of last season if memory serves your assessment is about correct .

Nice thing about both boats for me is all ballast was subfloor....in a 20ft model that makes a difference for storage and stuff when you've got to pack everything in triplicate for your wife and kids .
Just feel like the xt was better for our application and the surf wake was great ....And that was with no dialing in because it was November and cold as *{^^]*!

Should have a more thorough review soon if it would ever warm up and stop raining

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Only got to surf it once end of last season if memory serves your assessment is about correct .

Nice thing about both boats for me is all ballast was subfloor....in a 20ft model that makes a difference for storage and stuff when you've got to pack everything in triplicate for your wife and kids .
Just feel like the xt was better for our application and the surf wake was great ....And that was with no dialing in because it was November and cold as *{^^]*!

Should have a more thorough review soon if it would ever warm up and stop raining

Great, looking forward to hearing what you think after more use!!!

dt37803
05-04-2017, 06:23 PM
I have a 2014 X2 with gen 2. the pics are my wave with the stock system nothing added. If I remember the X20 has a 1.5 to 1 trans which has the engine tacking pretty high when surfing thus more fuel consumption. :D

Hawgdriver
05-04-2017, 06:34 PM
I have a 2014 X2 with gen 2. the pics are my wave with the stock system nothing added. If I remember the X20 has a 1.5 to 1 trans which has the engine tacking pretty high when surfing thus more fuel consumption. :D

Awesome!!
Like anything, I need to surf the XT20 and newer X2 with Gen 2. However, with GSA I should be able to get very similar wave results I would think!!

lees23
05-05-2017, 06:55 AM
here is my x2 surf wake with GSA. please note that my daughter is freaking 6'3"!!

6'3"??? That's nuts. How tall are you and mom? Is she going to be a collegiate athlete?