PDA

View Full Version : Litle bit of water

MrDearybury
05-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Okay, I have checked it all, ballast and pumps are fine and both bilge pumps are working fine. But i keep having water get in the boat it might be 1-3 inches randomly in my star anyone else know how it could be getting in there

Burdhntr
05-03-2017, 08:28 AM
1. Check your impeller seal
2. Check you shaft packing
Does this happen while boat is running? Moving vs neutral? Just floating?

icecold
05-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Check the mufflers my 98 205 leaked when new and it ended up being the muffler on the left side had a split it the seam.

MrDearybury
05-03-2017, 08:33 AM
1. Check your impeller seal
2. Check you shaft packing
Does this happen while boat is running? Moving vs neutral? Just floating?

Its for sure while its running.

moosehead
05-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Subscribed. I have similar issues after ballasted surf runs. Troubleshooting now. Dealer thinks it can be as simple as checking actuator wire thru hulls which may let water in with movement of the actuator and wires. At the other end of the spectrum, a buddy had his '14 X46 forward ballast tank replaced.

JohnE
05-03-2017, 11:09 AM
Heater or heater hose? My 09 had a hole in heater hose from factory.

ttu
05-03-2017, 11:11 AM
agree with John on the heater. also check and make sure the hose clamps on your cooling system are tight. I had one that I thought was tight that had a steady drip to it. once I tightened it no more leaking.

Keith2230
05-03-2017, 03:30 PM
This is how the discovery of my cracked hard tanks started. Hope your story ends better than that. I had to take my boat out with half the seats removed and everything open to finally figure it out.

Mastercraftdave
05-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Does the Xstar allow water to get into the boat when you come off plane?

My X23 only has water in the bilge when we start surfing because of the weight in the boat and how low the rear sits.

Just a thought.

bturner2
05-03-2017, 03:41 PM
OK I'll throw in too..... Check the rudder box while underway and having someone turn the rudder from side to side. That's where mine was leaking from last year. I replaced the top seal but I may have to remove the box and have it rebuilt.

ap77
05-03-2017, 03:46 PM
I had a small amount of water entering the boat from where the swim platform attached to the transom (from factory). They didn't apply enough sealant during manufacturing and water was able to leak inside. Once more sealant was applied it fixed the issue. We also did the Gen2 tabs as well just to be safe.

I also experience small amounts of water in the bilge while surfing, probably the same issue MastercraftDave noted, since the walk through is so low and water can easily get in.

wilhelmwake
05-03-2017, 03:54 PM
X23 can Takes water in while Surfing because of the design like other guys said.

XC500mod
05-03-2017, 08:42 PM

My X23 only has water in the bilge when we start surfing because of the weight in the boat and how low the rear sits.

Just a thought.

Just curious where is the water coming in the boat while surfing?

Fwiw my x10 was letting water in, the bow and stern bilges would kick on every couple of minutes depending on the pitch of the boat. I opened the engine hatch and noticed the exhaust tube from the catalytic converter to the fiberglass exhaust was loose. The hose clamp needed to be tightened. With a tight clamp now water was leaking.

clrussell
05-03-2017, 09:50 PM

Just a thought.

I doubt that's his issue.. but yes his star can.. I've done it :rofl:

WakeRider93
05-04-2017, 01:55 PM
I'll put money on it being on the Dripless Packing. We have replaced tons of them. Have someone run the boat at idle and look at the shaft near the shaft log. Quick check, is the water warm or lake temp in the bilge?

Mastercraftdave
05-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Just curious where is the water coming in the boat while surfing?

Fwiw my x10 was letting water in, the bow and stern bilges would kick on every couple of minutes depending on the pitch of the boat. I opened the engine hatch and noticed the exhaust tube from the catalytic converter to the fiberglass exhaust was loose. The hose clamp needed to be tightened. With a tight clamp now water was leaking.

The rear of the boat sits very low when you have 2k in weight back there so the way the engine hatch is setup, if the driver isn't careful, when you slow down the water can come up on the back and seep in through the rear.

I have seen this happen on a Star that is loaded with weight.

MrDearybury
05-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Found the LEAK!!!!! It was the Dripless seal!

CottagerGreg
05-11-2017, 08:30 AM
I guess I should check mine proactively.. 650 hours and never changed.

moosehead
05-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Found the LEAK!!!!! It was the Dripless seal!

Did it let water in underway, under tow load, or at rest?

wilhelmwake
05-11-2017, 10:29 AM
This is Interesting info, I have to keep an eye on that as well

MrDearybury
05-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Under tow mostly

kwoody51
05-11-2017, 07:21 PM
How was it leaking? Just a loose clamp?

I've suspected mine is leaking but haven't looked too close as it's not 'much'.

What's the process to replace?