PDA

View Full Version : Stereo issue (no not again)

Mattymillz12
04-30-2017, 01:53 AM
Okay, so I have to keep it honest....I dropped a bolt today on the battery terminal after I completed all the wiring and it instantly sparked. I began to move the wires off the terminal and they created mini sparks until removed.

The bad news...
-JL audio Speakers do not work except for left tower speaker (right one makes a little static sound)
-amplifier does not even have power light
-fuse change does not help

The good news...
-I bought two more batteries because I was due anyways
-other amplifier and remainder of stereo works fine
-batteries register correct voltage and new alternator works as well

Where do I go in terms of how to asses what is working or not? Could a shorted wire be the problem, if so how do I fix that?

Really hoping I don't need to replace the amplifier or speakers !!!

DavidF
04-30-2017, 09:25 AM
This probably won't help but maybe after a day or so of no power, it'll power up again? I had an issue with my Wet Sounds amp, tower speakers wouldn't work at all and I had error lights. disconnected from the battery, did a hard reset, didn't help, still didn't work. Shut it down for the night, next morning, still had one of the two error codes from the previous day, but the speakers powered up and were working fine. Again, maybe this is no help but here's hoping!

JimN
04-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Okay, so I have to keep it honest....I dropped a bolt today on the battery terminal after I completed all the wiring and it instantly sparked. I began to move the wires off the terminal and they created mini sparks until removed.

The bad news...
-JL audio Speakers do not work except for left tower speaker (right one makes a little static sound)
-amplifier does not even have power light
-fuse change does not help

The good news...
-I bought two more batteries because I was due anyways
-other amplifier and remainder of stereo works fine
-batteries register correct voltage and new alternator works as well

Where do I go in terms of how to asses what is working or not? Could a shorted wire be the problem, if so how do I fix that?

Really hoping I don't need to replace the amplifier or speakers !!!

How long is the bolt? Did it touch both terminals, or the terminal and wires that were supposed to be connected.

You should buy a multi-meter and learn how to use it.

The only cable that doesn't have or shouldn't have a fuse at the battery is the one that goes to the starter. ALL others should have a fuse. Alternatives to having a bunch of wires and separate fuses is using a fused distribution block within 12" of the battery + terminal (less than 12" is better, but not always possible). The negative wires can be connected with a distribution block and it doesn't need a fuse.

The one reason for not doing this is that it ads a connection that could introduce resistance and that's not a good thing but as long as it's less than .1 Ohms, it won't cause problems.

An easy way to cause problems with a 12VDC electrical system is by installing a bunch of switches and connections between the battery terminals and the devices being powered, so that needs to be scrutinized as you go.

When you measure voltage on the system, always use the battery's - post as the reference, not the cable terminal or clamp. It lets you know if the connection at the battery is good, or not- when you see less than about 13.4VDC on a fully-charged battery that hasn't been completely discharged, you know something is causing resistance.

Disconnect the battery - wires and let it sit for a while before reconnecting. DO NOT make repeated/intermittent connections when you do this- each arc causes the electronics to see a voltage 'spike' and sensitive electronic devices don't like this. If you have a main battery switch, set it to OFF whenever you make/break connections at the battery.

Mattymillz12
04-30-2017, 12:14 PM
JimN,

I do have a multimeter and it saves me a ton of times. I understand everything you talked about, I'm just curious as to how to any quick check to be able to assess the stereo. Rather than dig deep into the wiring. Thank you for the information though!

JimN
04-30-2017, 12:46 PM
JimN,

I do have a multimeter and it saves me a ton of times. I understand everything you talked about, I'm just curious as to how to any quick check to be able to assess the stereo. Rather than dig deep into the wiring. Thank you for the information though!

The bolt is the only place heavy current passed, so the wiring should be fine unless something had its + AND - connected to the + terminal or the polarity was reversed and in the case of the amplifier, wiring it backward usually kills a diode that's there for protecting against this kind of thing.

The thing that bothers me is the comment about seeing a spark as you disconnected several wires- I hope the key was in the Off position.

I would start by checking for voltage at each device that's not working. The amp that's not working isn't going to do much good anyway, so you might as well remove it and remove the covers, so you can look for a missing component that should be accompanied by a black spot- it will be immediately inside the amp, between the + and - terminals. If it's bad, the amp should be serviced.

Mattymillz12
05-02-2017, 03:29 AM
The bolt is the only place heavy current passed, so the wiring should be fine unless something had its + AND - connected to the + terminal or the polarity was reversed and in the case of the amplifier, wiring it backward usually kills a diode that's there for protecting against this kind of thing.

The thing that bothers me is the comment about seeing a spark as you disconnected several wires- I hope the key was in the Off position.

I would start by checking for voltage at each device that's not working. The amp that's not working isn't going to do much good anyway, so you might as well remove it and remove the covers, so you can look for a missing component that should be accompanied by a black spot- it will be immediately inside the amp, between the + and - terminals. If it's bad, the amp should be serviced.

Thought I'd update you, but I ended up disconnecting everything then replacing both fuses to the stereo wiring and then reassembled the wiring and we are good to go!