PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft competition

ccjackson
04-29-2017, 10:39 PM
When we decided to get a boat we didn't really look at other brands b/c a friend a while back said "get a Mastercraft" and we've been satisfied with our dealer and now 2nd MC. I obviously know it's close to top of the line but was just curious who the main brands/competition are. I know some of the other brand names (Nautique, Malibu, Supra, etc.) but don't really know how they stack up in comparison. Who are the other players for Wakesurf/wakeboard boats and how do they stack up?

moosehead
04-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Let's just say you win with that config CCJ.

Jhilly8982
04-29-2017, 11:08 PM
I could be wrong but the big three are Mastercraft, Nautique and Malibu in terms of fit, finish and quality.

lashburn1
04-30-2017, 12:46 AM
If details and Fit/Finished are part of your decision, there are two Brands
Mastercraft and Nautique.... the others are certainly fine boats.

lees23
04-30-2017, 10:48 AM
I am pretty happy with my Malibu so far.

lees23
04-30-2017, 10:50 AM
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/steveleern/IMG_3348.jpg

MC25
04-30-2017, 10:59 AM
I don't think Malibu should be in the big three anymore for sure. I'd almost say Supra MC and nautique.

ttu
04-30-2017, 11:00 AM
I was about to say the same thing!! supra has really stepped it's game up.

RWojo
04-30-2017, 11:02 AM
When we decided to get a boat we didn't really look at other brands b/c a friend a while back said "get a Mastercraft" and we've been satisfied with our dealer and now 2nd MC. I obviously know it's close to top of the line but was just curious who the main brands/competition are. I know some of the other brand names (Nautique, Malibu, Supra, etc.) but don't really know how they stack up in comparison. Who are the other players for Wakesurf/wakeboard boats and how do they stack up?
I'd say a x23 with a 7.4 is pretty much the best!!! Well done

aguyupnorth
04-30-2017, 11:20 AM
I was thinking the same thing about supra, but then at the boat show, i sat in an SA and the fit/feel was nowhere close. The tower/accent lighting looked terrible, many of the seats had no hinges, the vinyal was not up to snuff. I can't speak to performance, but having owned both mc and nautique... I would say that Both are heads and shoulders above Supra

lees23
04-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Malibu not in the big three but the current market share leader? I realize I stepped down in interior quality(IMO is not by much) but I also got a 22', 102" beam boat cheaper than I could have gotten a 21' 98" beam MC. 2017's Malibus have an incredible stock stereo(dealing with some gremlins but should get worked out) all Wet Sounds with their new Revo 8" x4 in the cabin, Revo 6.5's x 4 in the bow, Rev 8" on the tower and 12" XS sub in a sealed box all powered by Syn-Dx amps(100 to in cabins, 200 tower, 600 sub). I am impressed with their new vinyl as well.

I will say that it was NOT the "brand" MC or Malibu that made me switch brands, which is the real tragedy here.

lees23
04-30-2017, 11:43 AM
I will freely admit that the XT23 is a B.A. set up and probably not much in the Malibu line short of the tank M235 that will compete with it.

mikeg205
04-30-2017, 11:55 AM
be mindful who pays for this site...

JBaker
04-30-2017, 12:14 PM
MC/Nauti/Bu are still big three. Bu being lowest cost option, MC/Nauti being more premium. Supra is a very small player market share wise.

If you want to compare your loaded X23 to competition, demo a Nauti G23 and Bu MXZ 22. I suspect you'll be very happy with your choice.

JBaker
04-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Malibu not in the big three but the current market share leader?

And BTW, Bu and MC effectively hold the same market share (21-22%). If you add Axis to Bu then it is the clear leader in volume.

ewilcox11
04-30-2017, 12:36 PM
I really like the Nautiques. That's what I originally started looking for and then I ran into my MC. I like those two about equally.

RWojo
04-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Agreed. Odd to read "MC fanatics" touting Bu. Or even BU owners on this site.

JBaker
04-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Asking about the competition is much less egregious than starting a thread in the General MC Discussion announcing and documenting that you bought the competition. Just sayin'.

lashburn1
04-30-2017, 01:18 PM

I personally, try to critique carefully, and without bashing Brands or Peoples prize possessions.
My hope here is that MC pulls the various inputs of users to improve thier products each year.
I am certain that is the case already.
My thread on ,"DarkSide" should be a tool for what MC should and should not do moving down the road. As a 4 X Mastercraft lover , I would hope my input is valued.

That said, IMO, MC and CC are still in a league of thier own.
It does not take away from personal choices and reasons for picking another brand.

lees23
04-30-2017, 01:21 PM

My previous boat was an X2... I enjoyed the boat and the forum. I also still participate in the Chaparral forum(my boat before the X2).

jgraham37128
04-30-2017, 02:03 PM
I agree on Mastercraft, Supra, Nautique.

Malibu has some nice boats but they have too many issues after about a year old. Or I'll say my buddies all to seem have more problems after a year.

Jhilly8982
04-30-2017, 02:32 PM
does Supra make direct drive boats?

lees23
04-30-2017, 02:59 PM
I agree on Mastercraft, Supra, Nautique.

Malibu has some nice boats but they have too many issues after about a year old. Or I'll say my buddies all to seem have more problems after a year.

This is a fair statement based off of things you have actually seen. I have actually seen the opposite.. their QC could've better and there seems to be a lot of nick back stuff in the beginning but they seem to be reliable after that is resolved(re Malibu).

I think that there has to be a distinction between what the top 3 nicest boats(largely subjective) are and what are the "big three"(objective). There is no way not to call the market share leader one of the "big three."

Again, I am not here to bash MC in anyway or even try to convince anyone that a 'bu is a equal or better boat. There are reasons I switched brands that I won't get into here but I did enjoy my boat overall and enjoy the immense amount of knowledge that floats around this forum.

moosehead
04-30-2017, 04:09 PM
...There are reasons I switched brands that I won't get into here ....

Hopefully they are good enough to deal with that hideous interior!

I kid, I kid. Someone had to do it after 3 pages.

Beer on me lees23.

lees23
04-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Hopefully they are good enough to deal with that hideous interior!

I kid, I kid. Someone had to do it after 3 pages.

Beer on me lees23.

All good my friend! It doesn't bother me if your don't like my boat.

moosehead
04-30-2017, 04:17 PM
All good my friend! It doesn't bother me if your don't like my boat.

Just joshing, haven't been aboard a boat I dislike. My bad, spring fever setting in, haven't taken her out of hibernation yet.

MasterCraft Ranger
04-30-2017, 04:51 PM

I do not have a lot of first hand experience with other brands. I bought my first MC in '91. It treated us well as did the PHX dealership, MC Boats of Arizona. We met a ton of very like minded people during our first 10 years. When it was time to upgrade to something a little bigger, I did not even look around and focused solely MCs, settling on an 8 year old X10.

Last summer, we spent a lot of time on a friend's two different Malibus that they bought and sold. While they clearly felt like a quality boat, there was "just something" that did not feel right the whole time we were in them. I will say they both (21' and 23' V-drives) handled extremely well, a function of tracking fins, I'm sure.

I know Nautiques are quality boats but I can easily count on one hand the number that made me seriously consider the brands. There's just something about all the lines and colors going in different directions on most of their boats that gives me a headache just looking at them.

For 20+ years, no other brand and their designs have turned my head as many times as MC's do. I loved watching the others go from laughing at the pickle fork in 2004 to acting like they came up with it all by themselves.

When it was time again to consider an upgrade, once again, I did not even consider another brand and will be taking delivery of an '11 X25 next month.

I am a big Canon camera user. I know Nikons are quality cameras but when I pick one up, it just doesn't feel right. I think the same is true of boats. I have a hard time believing any brand is head and shoulders above the rest but MC's have served our family well and I don't ever see us straying.

hunter991
04-30-2017, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to get a Natique, MC, BU or Supra.. All the boats these days are pretty dang good. I own MC and it would be my first choice but having a dealer close to me is probably more important. That means i would buy a supra if i had a good dealer close and convienent rather than driving 5 hours like i do now. But i do love my MC. You can tell there is some quality in this boat. I used to own a Ranger fishing boat, similar to MC is the fishing world. It stood out on quality over nitro, stratos etc... Never had a single thing fail in 8 years, not even live well pumps. I look at MC just like this.

lees23
04-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Just joshing, haven't been aboard a boat I dislike. My bad, spring fever setting in, haven't taken her out of hibernation yet.

I get it... I guess what I was trying to say is that I didn't buy my boat for others to like. I am very much like you.. I can appreciate other makes and models. All of the tow/wake boats I have all been on are awesome boats. When I sold my MC(gen 1 surf) I thought I was done making suck gates until my buddy(Tige z3 taps 3) call me and ask if I could help his buddy(tige z1 pre taps 3) make one. I gladly spent several hours of my Saturday making something for a guy I have met once to help him enjoy wakesurfing. A big part of it for me is the community.

You still owe me a beer.

jgraham37128
04-30-2017, 05:29 PM
I ride in my buddies Bu, all the time. I like anyone that loves boating. That's the most important to me.

MasterCraft Ranger
04-30-2017, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to get a Natique, MC, BU or Supra.. All the boats these days are pretty dang good. I own MC and it would be my first choice but having a dealer close to me is probably more important. That means i would buy a supra if i had a good dealer close and convienent rather than driving 5 hours like i do now. But i do love my MC. You can tell there is some quality in this boat. I used to own a Ranger fishing boat, similar to MC is the fishing world. It stood out on quality over nitro, stratos etc... Never had a single thing fail in 8 years, not even live well pumps. I look at MC just like this.

Totally valid points. When someone asks me, "what's a good wakeboard boat these days?", I tell them it's pretty hard to go wrong, especially if buying new. Just find a brand where you feel comfortable.

I think the owner plays a huge role as well. If you treat the boat well, it will last. In my year long search for the X25, I came across many pristine MC's and several that were just thrashed.

I was just sitting in my driveway last week running the ProStar and looking around at the boat which is now 26 years old and was just amazed how well it has held up. This is not a boat that sat on a lift at a private lake either. We tent camped off that poor thing for years, filling it with all kinds of gear and driving out across large bodies of rough water. Same with our '05 X10. Find me a 12 year old car that's in GREAT shape - not good shape - it's not easy.

lees23
04-30-2017, 07:00 PM
The dealer plays a huge role in the experience as well.

willyt
04-30-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm really surprised this thread hasn't gotten nuked by now.

I'll play. My experience with the newer brands has been mixed. One thing one must understand before reading my review is I'm an old-school wakeboarder. I like surfing. I like taking a bath too (begin hate - to each their own).

Anyway. BU has been absolutely killing it as far as wakeboard wakes. 22 vlx is probably one of my most favorite wakes to ride behind. Compounded by the fact that MC doesn't have a 22 ft offering in the x or XT line that could touch that it's hard. There are definitely build quality issues I see on the BU but the smile I have after riding behind it seems to blind me to those.

G23/21... surf wake maybe a little sub par behind the x23/20 but for me the wakeboard wakes set it in a different league.

Honest feedback. I hope MC takes it and considers it. I kinda feel like a slalom skier in the late 90's... MC has really abandoned wakeboarding to go after the larger market share of surfing. If I were forced to buy a new boat it wouldn't be an MC.

bamabonners
05-01-2017, 12:05 AM
I do not have a lot of first hand experience with other brands. I bought my first MC in '91. It treated us well as did the PHX dealership, MC Boats of Arizona. We met a ton of very like minded people during our first 10 years. When it was time to upgrade to something a little bigger, I did not even look around and focused solely MCs, settling on an 8 year old X10.

Last summer, we spent a lot of time on a friend's two different Malibus that they bought and sold. While they clearly felt like a quality boat, there was "just something" that did not feel right the whole time we were in them. I will say they both (21' and 23' V-drives) handled extremely well, a function of tracking fins, I'm sure.

I know Nautiques are quality boats but I can easily count on one hand the number that made me seriously consider the brands. There's just something about all the lines and colors going in different directions on most of their boats that gives me a headache just looking at them.

For 20+ years, no other brand and their designs have turned my head as many times as MC's do. I loved watching the others go from laughing at the pickle fork in 2004 to acting like they came up with it all by themselves.

When it was time again to consider an upgrade, once again, I did not even consider another brand and will be taking delivery of an '11 X25 next month.

I am a big Canon camera user. I know Nikons are quality cameras but when I pick one up, it just doesn't feel right. I think the same is true of boats. I have a hard time believing any brand is head and shoulders above the rest but MC's have served our family well and I don't ever see us straying.

I would echo this. There's just something about a MC. I've owned 2 malibus, an Axis, a new MC, and now a used MC.

People ask me what boat I have and I answer a Mastercraft. So many times, people will talk about a time skiing being a MC or how they wished they could get a ski behind a MC. Point is, everyone recognizes a Mastercraft and loves them. They have a great history and tradition.

As for new quality, I'm always amazed at my used prostar 197. I know it was used as a ski tug - used for what it was intended and put up for the next day's use. It was well taken care of, but it was used as a tool and not a garage queen. I'm amazed at how well the interior and other parts look. They were built well and have held up very well. Initial quality on the new MC I had was very impressive. Great fit and finish, even in the placed where you had to crawl in to see.

swatguy
05-01-2017, 01:40 AM
As far as quality there is no doubt MC over the long haul has with stood the test of time . The name definitely speaks for itself.

Same could be said about Nautique and Bu as well.

I think too much emphasis is put on gadgetry , bling, and hype. What's makes a top tier boat is the combination of performance, quality, reputation , and design. Bu , Nautique , MC, and I would argue Supra now all are there at the moment in any discussion of quality top performing wakeboat. While MC has been a consistent leader in the bling along with cutting edge interiors I would argue for a while fell short on the performance aspects of their wakes. Other companies took advantage of that and put much more emphasis on wake performance than interiors and Exteriors . Each company is a bit different in its focus and they appeal to different buyers, but arguing Bu isn't still a top tier boat is absurd. They are most definitely a top performer in wakes , both ski and wakeboard. Their build quality is still top notch , and their reputation of churning out a quality product year in and year out is rock solid.

I could easily go into pararagraph after paragraph about what each company offers that differs from the next, but I am pretty sure that would be deleted and pulled immediately because it has in the past.

The other thing that has also changed over the years is that there really is no longer a floating hunk of garbage produced by any mfg ( wake tractor/ heday may be however filling that void:D and gekko narrowly escape the status ). All company's produce a boat these these that will perform for the long haul . With that said I still think BU , Nautique , and MC are in a class of their own with Supra about to walk through the door. A single minded buyer who doesn't compare products at the time of purchase is reallly selling himself short.

swc5150
05-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Honest feedback. I hope MC takes it and considers it. I kinda feel like a slalom skier in the late 90's... MC has really abandoned wakeboarding to go after the larger market share of surfing. If I were forced to buy a new boat it wouldn't be an MC.

Well said. I was that guy in the late 90's, and switched over to Nautiques for over a decade because of it. We got back into an MC this year, and couldn't be more impressed with our new Prostar.

MC25
05-01-2017, 10:52 AM
I would argue that malibu's quality is no longer top notch. for that aspect alone, I do not consider them the top three. Wakeboard wakes are one thing, but all the surfgate boats ive surfed have lackluster push.

uplandbird
05-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Any boat over 100K new needs to be backed by a powerful dealer with a great client reputation.

When I bought my X25, I had my blinders on. I wanted a MC. Period.

If I were to do it over again, I'd care FIRST about the dealers in my area. These boats are basically computers strapped to fiberglass and a design intent to sink themselves on purpose with ballast.

Things happen and the dealer makes the difference.

All things being equal, I'll never leave the MC brand. I'm lucky that the closest boat dealer in my area is a MC shop. I've got the best of both worlds.

Mastercraftdave
05-01-2017, 11:05 AM
MC, Bu, and Nautique are still the big three IMO. A neighbor on the river has a Supra SA and I am not impressed with the boat at all.

Supra doesn't have the history that the big three does and yes they just changed they lines, but the boats aren't known to have the history like Bu, MC and Nautique. The resale on supra long term is still in limbo if you ask me.

swatguy
05-01-2017, 11:37 AM
MC, Bu, and Nautique are still the big three IMO. A neighbor on the river has a Supra SA and I am not impressed with the boat at all.

Supra doesn't have the history that the big three does and yes they just changed they lines, but the boats aren't known to have the history like Bu, MC and Nautique. The resale on supra long term is still in limbo if you ask me.

I would make this argument.

Supra has been making boats a long time. The Comp T6m was regarded as one of the better slalom wakes ever produced. Those boats are built like tanks , they were heavy. Plenty of old Sunsports floating around. They cut corners on their interiors and accessories for a long time by installing lower quality stuff and having minimal features to customize. Not much tech or style options in their boats in those early stages. Fast forward to the early-mid 2000's. Quality and a much more detailed product was being put out. They pulled major comps and events. Were the Gravity Games boat of choice , and also Later were the boat of Choice for Worlds. Those are major competitions with top tier riders pushing the limits. Their track history is there. The boats just still didn't use the highest end materials available for components and didn't have the extra attention to detail to gain them traction , and rightfully so. They clearly still wanted to stay in a lower category. At this very moment their top boats use all the same components as the big boys , and have much more styling and attention to detail. While that hasn't been the case nearly as long as MC or BU , they have definitely presented a case to be considered. Keep in mind their price still sees that as well. They are still a good chunk cheaper for a similar size range boats.

swatguy
05-01-2017, 11:42 AM
I would argue that malibu's quality is no longer top notch. for that aspect alone, I do not consider them the top three. Wakeboard wakes are one thing, but all the surfgate boats ive surfed have lackluster push.

What's not top notch about it ?

JBaker
05-01-2017, 11:47 AM

I would make this argument.

Supra has been making boats a long time. The Comp T6m was regarded as one of the better slalom wakes ever produced. Those boys are built like tanks , they were heavy. Plenty of old Sunsports floating around. The cut corners on their interiors and accessories for long time by installingvmower quality stuff. Not much tech in their boats either in those early stages. Fast forward to the early-mid 2000's. Quality and a much more dukes product was being put out. They pulled major comps and events. We're the Gravity Games boat of choice , and also Later were the boat of Chiice for Worlds. Those are major competitions with top tier riders pushing the limits. Their track history is there. The boats just still didn't use the highest end materials available for components and didn't have the extra attention to detail. At this very moment though their top boats use all the same components as the big boys , and have much styling and attention to detail. While that hasn't been the case nearly as long as MC or BU , they have definitely presented a case to be considered. Keep in mind their price still see that as well. They are still a good chunk cheaper for a similar size range boats.

I agree w/ both of you to an extent. The concern with Supra should be resale more so than the boat itself.

The fact that Supra has been around a long time is actually a negative IMO when seen in the context of them having less than 4% market share. Would be one thing if they were a rising star, but they've been around forever and still barely exist.

Swat is right, recently they have pivoted to make higher quality boats. But as history shows, they've pivoted many times. If this doesn't work, they may pivot closer to Moomba or an entirely different direction that kills resale. The company and dealer commitment to the brand simply doesn't exist in the way it does with the Big 3.

Even today, with such a tiny sliver of the market, Supra resale is dubious at best in most parts of the country.

newbiesurfer
05-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Since I own a 2001 MC 230VRS and can't see spending the cash it costs to buy a new boat, my opinion here probably doesn't matter. That being said, I live 3 miles from Center Hill Lake on the main highway going to Sligo and see LOTS of boats passing by. I spent all last summer on the lake on my friends Malibu and MC. I also got to surf behind a brand new MC last year and I LOVE the newer MC boats! I'm not gonna touch on interior or electrical, fit and finish and so on. I'm a car guy and love lines on a vehicle! The new body lines on the MC boats resemble 60's model cars to me and I can't get enough of them! Smartest design move ever done on boats IMO! The other brands, just look slab-sided to me and don't have the smoothness and flow of the MC lines! If I were forking out the cash to buy a new boat, I wouldn't even look at anything else! MC would be it for me due to the lines alone! The fit and finish and so on would just be an added bonus!!

Mastercraftdave
05-01-2017, 12:15 PM
I agree w/ both of you to an extent. The concern with Supra should be resale more so than the boat itself.

The fact that Supra has been around a long time is actually a negative IMO when seen in the context of them having less than 4% market share. Would be one thing if they were a rising star, but they've been around forever and still barely exist.

Swat is right, recently they have pivoted to make higher quality boats. But as history shows, they've pivoted many times. If this doesn't work, they may pivot closer to Moomba or an entirely different direction that kills resale. The company and dealer commitment to the brand simply doesn't exist in the way it does with the Big 3.

Even today, with such a tiny sliver of the market, Supra resale is dubious at best in most parts of the country.

I agree with resale on Supra. I know my neighbor got a steal on his SA because this small dealer in Louisiana had to get rid of the boat. I honestly think that what he paid was still a lot for the boat but I see used one going for a lot less. They got in it thinking since they paid less for it so they wont lose money on it and I kept telling them to be careful.

My wife who knows little about boats even thinks the Supra is not that nice. It just rides terrible and that was the first thing she noticed and she kept telling me that. The seating isn't very comfortable either. After we were on his boat we went and rode to dinner on ours, and they first words out of her mouth was that she was happy we have the boat that we do. It was a win in my book lol!

swatguy
05-01-2017, 12:51 PM

All fair points.

Supra at those times wasn't making a push to get to the top. So saymusing an argument that their sales didn't take off over their existence I don't think is fair. They didn't have the facilities , the cash , the marketing , or the want/will to make that move to the next level . They were happy producing mid level boats . The market those days wasn't nearly what it is now, and they didn't have near the "skin in the game" they do now. Sales for them have been steady and they have slowly moved up as time went on. Solid business model. They made a few smaller runs at moving ahead in the mid level arena that have been very successful and helped them finally get to this point now. Again let's be clear here I still think MC has bit more attention to detail here , and it's clear their resale will still hold true , but right now Supra has decided to go for it and make a run at the top tier. Only time will tell how it pans out.

Coffeyman76
05-01-2017, 01:36 PM
On our lake Supra's seem to be quite popular. I've got several friends with them and they (recently) seem like quality products and much improved over just several years ago. They certainly sell them like hot cakes here, but again that is all about the dealer which is fantastic in this area. I can't comment on resale, I do think that is an issue in terms of time to sell and resale price. The new pricing is pretty incredible if what people admit to paying for their boats is actually true.

While it's a nice boat for the money it doesn't compete with the big 2 (maybe 3, just don't know enough about Bu to say that). You can tell the difference. It's subtle but noticeable and could be an OCD crusher if coming from another brand.

My biggest "complaints" would be ride quality (beat to death it felt like), certainly not a smooth ride in any of them so far. Seat comfort/quality. Storage/layout. I also notice a few have had vinyl tears in the same spots. Design flaw it would seem. While this happens randomly to everyone this seemed like an over riding issue to me.

But hey, at least the Supra boats I've been on have branded cleats.... I'll leave that dangling right there for a moment.

bandit628
05-01-2017, 05:54 PM
I don't think enough emphasis is being put on the wake behind the boat. To me that is the most important thing. I want a nice ride don't get me wrong, but the exact reason I owned a MC now a nauty is for the wake quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JBaker
05-01-2017, 06:19 PM
I don't think enough emphasis is being put on the wake behind the boat. To me that is the most important thing. I want a nice ride don't get me wrong, but the exact reason I owned a MC now a nauty is for the wake quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

More of a model by model discussion then though.

lashburn1
05-01-2017, 07:33 PM
I agree with resale on Supra. I know my neighbor got a steal on his SA because this small dealer in Louisiana had to get rid of the boat. I honestly think that what he paid was still a lot for the boat but I see used one going for a lot less. They got in it thinking since they paid less for it so they wont lose money on it and I kept telling them to be careful.

My wife who knows little about boats even thinks the Supra is not that nice. It just rides terrible and that was the first thing she noticed and she kept telling me that. The seating isn't very comfortable either. After we were on his boat we went and rode to dinner on ours, and they first words out of her mouth was that she was happy we have the boat that we do. It was a win in my book lol!

same thing here...local Supra dealer was basically dumping SUPRAs ...and they sold for even less used for the same years.
I ride my Dealer and Service guys about everything....I was not picking up on the Knowledge or Service factor at the Dealer supporting Supra....

We did think they were nice, but Not MC or CC nice.

ap77
05-01-2017, 08:17 PM
For me, I rank the competition as follows:

1 - Mastercraft / Nautique
2 - Malibu / Tige / Supra
3 - Centurion / Mastercraft NXT
4 - Moomba / Axis

I used to regard Malibu in the same level as Mastercraft and Nautique, but it seems their quality has really dropped off. Our community has a number of newer Malibu boats and last year every single one had a warranty issue of some kind.

swatguy
05-01-2017, 10:38 PM
For me, I rank the competition as follows:

1 - Mastercraft / Nautique
2 - Malibu / Tige / Supra
3 - Centurion / Mastercraft NXT
4 - Moomba / Axis

I used to regard Malibu in the same level as Mastercraft and Nautique, but it seems their quality has really dropped off. Our community has a number of newer Malibu boats and last year every single one had a warranty issue of some kind.

I'll go with that with minor change. Moomba swap with NXT

swatguy
05-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Whooooops

captain planet
05-01-2017, 10:44 PM
MC and cc are 1 and 2. Both are built well. MC does several things better than cc but both are above the rest. bu is a distant 3rd.......distant. bu is built cheap, interiors are put together in 1000 pieces, and their hulls are thin.

outdoorjp
05-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Mc Has the best forum hands down!!!

lashburn1
05-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Mc Has the best forum hands down!!!

I will say that for sure...... CC is pretty slow
Yamaha Jet Boat forums are always exciting with Mods and Vacation pics..

dt37803
05-02-2017, 08:01 AM
After being on and behind 10 different boats this past weekend at Southern surfest MC is still my favorite. Nautique has some of the nicest interiors and the surf wave behind the Malibu was impressive. Dollar for dollars the most impressive for the price point was the Axis. Fit finish and a pretty nice wavr. That have come a long way since we looked at them 4 years ago.

Mastercraftdave
05-02-2017, 08:17 AM
same thing here...local Supra dealer was basically dumping SUPRAs ...and they sold for even less used for the same years.
I ride my Dealer and Service guys about everything....I was not picking up on the Knowledge or Service factor at the Dealer supporting Supra....

We did think they were nice, but Not MC or CC nice.

The dealer makes the experience. Our dealer is under new management an let me say, its a night and day difference. They are making all the right changes and they are taking care of their customers. For a while after we purchased the X23, I was on the brink of selling it because if some frustrations, yet now, I will be buying MCs for a long time coming.

swc5150
05-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Totally agree on the dealership aspect. In our area, it was a big mistake for Nautique to drop our dealership in favor of MarineMax.

ryancassidy
05-02-2017, 11:58 AM
You know... on my first boat, I didn't care, I bought it sight unseen (new) and had it shipped across the country... total cost play and I got lucky... ZERO warranty issues in 6 years of ownership, and so far knock on wood, only a few minor things for my MC dealership when they come to do the 25hr service. But I can say hands down, if it wasn't for the folks at the MC dealership, I just as well could have been in a Nautique or Supra. They made all the difference during, and after the sale. I'm already seeing really good stuff out of their service department as well. Point being is, I got lucky the first time around in boat ownership, I won't undervalue the dealer and the relationship anymore!

XC500mod
05-02-2017, 12:31 PM
I agree the dealership is as important as the boat. For example Redline in Madison, WI does dockside maintenance on the boats they sell. They then call you afterwards to make sure everything is on the up and up. I can't say enough positive things about these guys.

kelly_norcalmastercraft
05-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone!

If anyone is in Northern California next weekend, May 6&7, Sacramento State Wakeboard Club is hosting a wakeboard competition open to all collegiate riders in the US. All skills levels welcome. Saturday will be the boat portion of the competition at the watersports farm in Nicolaus, California. Sunday will be hosted by Velocity Island Park for the cable portion of the competition. Come check out collegiate riders from all over the country compete! Should be a good times and good fun.

Also, the watersports farm is partnered with Norcal Mastercraft. If anyone is interested in demoing some mastercraft boats/ getting wakeboard/wakesurf lessons... this is the place to be! Check out thewatersports.com and velocityislandpark.com for hours and location!