PDA

View Full Version : Getting MC off trailer for under water repairs

Brandon1975SS
04-29-2017, 08:14 AM
So the guy I took my baby to wants to lift the boat off using nothing but the trailer eye bolt and the rear tie downs. This don't sound good at all. Anybody else?

mzimme
04-29-2017, 08:19 AM
Seems fine to me...

Brandon1975SS
04-29-2017, 08:35 AM
Really? Well the thought that most the weight is in the middle scares me cause I put new stringers, and a teak wood floor down. Any flexing could cause me issues. And who knows if the backing plates will even hold the sucker in the air... two straps under the belly is how I always seen boats lifted. My good side says let the man do his job but don't want my boat messed up either from a dude with no insurance

CantRepeat
04-29-2017, 10:01 AM
So the guy I took my baby to wants to lift the boat off using nothing but the trailer eye bolt and the rear tie downs. This don't sound good at all. Anybody else?

Those points are designed so that you can lift the boat with them. However, they are not designed for long term use. IE don't suspend the boat by them for 4 days while you work on it.

/edit are we talking about your 75 and 80? If so, then I'm not sure. I know later years have a warning sticker on them about using them to lift the boat but they are not designed for long term storage or use.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=68727&stc=1&d=1311250953

/edit2 on some model/year the ski tow eye is not to be used for lifting at all.

https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/default/files/boats/mastercraft/48447/mastercraft-x46-527336.jpg

zsqure
04-29-2017, 01:13 PM
This has been asked before many times. Late model Mastercrafts have been shown here in pictures at the factory during photo shoots hanging by the places you mention. It should be noted that a properly positioned spreader bar (or lifting in two vertical locations) is to be used at the rear, so the lifting forces are not skewed in or out. only up. Long term storage? no.

cdstukey
04-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Really? Well the thought that most the weight is in the middle scares me cause I put new stringers, and a teak wood floor down. Any flexing could cause me issues. And who knows if the backing plates will even hold the sucker in the air... two straps under the belly is how I always seen boats lifted. My good side says let the man do his job but don't want my boat messed up either from a dude with no insurance

This is the part that would have me more concerned.
Don't know exactly what kind of work he is doing, but assume it is to the bottom of the boat and not the trailer, otherwise you could just put the boat on blocks or drop it in some water temporarily.

Double D
04-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Those points are designed so that you can lift the boat with them. However, they are not designed for long term use. IE don't suspend the boat by them for 4 days while you work on it.

/edit are we talking about your 75 and 80? If so, then I'm not sure. I know later years have a warning sticker on them about using them to lift the boat but they are not designed for long term storage or use.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=68727&stc=1&d=1311250953

Hey, that's my boat!!!! Here is the rear picture showing the spreader bar.

Brandon1975SS
04-29-2017, 11:52 PM
Guess I need to learn not to question 40 yrs experience. She's gonna look good.

CantRepeat
04-30-2017, 07:10 AM
Sweet, what work are you getting done?

Brandon1975SS
04-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Getting the bottom re gel coated. Best price around here and if it looks new like he says, I'm taking my 1980 to him!