PDA

View Full Version : What Jack Do You Use?

TX - Longhorns
04-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Alright, for those of you that trailer you boat, what jack do you travel with? I had a blowout last year (and earlier this year), had to wait on my brother to bring a floor jack to me to change out the tire as my bullet jack for the truck was too tall. Really was a PIA...

I do have new tires/wheels now thanks to Peter thought, just want to be prepared best I can.

I was looking at this 3 ton jack from Harbor Freight, but this thing is big, heavy and not that easy to move around. I don't have a storage box in the bed of my truck...

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance........

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html

moosehead
04-28-2017, 08:15 PM
^I bring both the floor jack and a trailer aid, plus cordless impact drill

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170429/a2b8d51ef9facfd6ef58a84934c96ff3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uplander
04-28-2017, 08:59 PM
I have that one you posted from Harbor Freight, I hauled it on vacation last year. It just stayed in the back on the vacation. It is pretty heavy but if you have the room in your truck nice to have.

fstaslp
04-28-2017, 09:53 PM
I have the rapid jack in my towing box:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks/Andersen/AM3620.html

TX - Longhorns
04-28-2017, 10:01 PM
I forgot to mention my trailer is single axle, not sure the rapid jack would work. Guess I might have to lug that big jack around. Can't beat the price....

jsturvey
04-28-2017, 10:06 PM
I have a Craftsman 2 1/4 ton trolley jack. It's kind of like a mini floor jack. Has its own case and doesn't take up to much space.

osmonet
04-28-2017, 11:28 PM
I have this one. As its aluminum, I'm able to lift it by myself...lol

https://www.costco.com/3-Ton-Professional-Grade-Aluminum-And-Steel-Service-Jack.product.100222458.html

gweaver
04-29-2017, 12:31 AM
I bought the aluminum HF jack. Haven't had to use it on the boat trailer yet, but it does just fine for lifting my truck. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work for the boat too.
Bought it when it was on sale- $70, I think.
G

JohnE
04-29-2017, 08:11 AM
I just toss the floor jack in the back of my truck. been meaning to buy an aluminum one from HF

Latin Flyer
04-29-2017, 08:52 AM
This is THE best invention ever:

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Easy-Lift-Trailer-Jack&i=81181&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3831313831&s_kwcid=adwords__&gclid=CJLSgrLaydMCFda4wAodM4kM5Q

7 seconds set up, 2 seconds out.

Snipe
04-29-2017, 10:29 AM
I keep one of those HF jacks in the truck all the time. They work better/easier that the factory jack.

CantRepeat
04-29-2017, 10:54 AM
10 inch bottle jack.

TX - Longhorns
04-29-2017, 11:16 AM
10 inch bottle jack.

I have a bottle jack in the truck as well; however, it's just too tall to fit under the trailer axel when i got a flat. If you have a flat on the trailer how do you get the bottle jack under the trailer axle? I think my clearance was 5" or less when tire was flat and sitting on the wheel...

TX - Longhorns
04-29-2017, 11:17 AM
I keep one of those HF jacks in the truck all the time. They work better/easier that the factory jack.

Yeah, those things are HEAVY though. I could leave it in the truck bed when we are pulling the boat, but I'm afraid someone might take it upon themselves go ahead and take it for themselves....

TX - Longhorns
04-29-2017, 11:19 AM

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Easy-Lift-Trailer-Jack&i=81181&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3831313831&s_kwcid=adwords__&gclid=CJLSgrLaydMCFda4wAodM4kM5Q

7 seconds set up, 2 seconds out.

I've seen these before, maybe I'll YouTube for a video of truly how they work in "real" world applications... Thx for the recommendation.

wheelerd
04-29-2017, 11:42 PM
I've seen these before, maybe I'll YouTube for a video of truly how they work in "real" world applications... Thx for the recommendation.

I had one and sold it after the first time I tried using it. Trailer axle is so low to the ground when the tire is flat that it is hard for the jack to get bite in the dirt/gravel and roll up like it's supposed to. I ended up using the bottle jack from my truck. Now I have one of the Andersen drive-on Rapid Jacks like pictured in an earlier post. (I have a dual axle trailer.)

Latin Flyer
04-30-2017, 01:17 AM

I used it in three different trailers. Works great.

Miss Rita
04-30-2017, 09:04 AM

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/produc...Fda4wAodM4kM5Q

I used to have one of those. When I needed to use it a few years ago, I found that it was too tall to work on my tandem axle trailer; the axles were too close to the ground. I ended up using the scissor jack from my Suburban.

I'm not saying the EasyLift won't work for you, but you'll want to try it out at home to familiarize yourself with the way it works.

kevkan
04-30-2017, 11:35 PM
I bought one of the aluminum jacks from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago. Knock on wood, I haven't had a chance to use it on the side of the road. But it's been great on the few car tires I've changed.

stig
05-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Got an aluminum HF one about 2 years ago, found a coupon online and got it for like $50, best jack I've had yet!

hunter991
05-01-2017, 12:10 PM
My jack is called AAA (triple A). Let them do it for me.

I do carry a bottle jack just in case. Its a small 6 ton from Menards. Its quite small and can get under the axle if need be.

woodrowskis
05-01-2017, 12:17 PM
I used to have one of those. When I needed to use it a few years ago, I found that it was too tall to work on my tandem axle trailer; the axles were too close to the ground. I ended up using the scissor jack from my Suburban.

I'm not saying the EasyLift won't work for you, but you'll want to try it out at home to familiarize yourself with the way it works.

I bought the EZ Lift appx 1993. Trying to use on a 86 mastercraft (light boat). I think something about the height it did not want to roll up either. It kept wanting to slide. I changed surfaces and got it to grab but 1/2 way up it cracked. It didn't fall but I got it back down asap. That was a long time ago. Could have been improved.

I am in the hydraulic bottle jack group now. 3 ton jack in a canvas bag under the back seat. Takes up very little space. And it has come in handy on many home projects. Since it has a small footprint, I do keep a small board to set it on in case the ground is not firm.

onewheat
05-01-2017, 11:29 PM
I do have a tandem, so it wouldn't work for a single axle, but I have an 18" piece of 4"x4" and a 4"x6" in the bed of my truck. They both have worked very well, don't weigh anything and no one wants to steal them if you leave them in an open bed - oh, and they are cheap.